Designer Cornwall?

Ok, somebody clue me in here. I always thought the birch speakers were plywood and plywood only. What you see is the top most ply when looking at the large, flat, surfaces. That is why on these corns or say a HBR you see the plys from the front. along the edges.

I didn't think they took plywood and put a birch veneer over it. It is just birch plywood isn't it?

Confused.[8-)][*-)]

OH, I see, they're so dark I didn't see them. But they started as just naked birch ply at some point, right? Do they build the panels differently on the Decorators than on standard CWBR units, other than it cabinet being shallower without the inset for grille?

Michael

Ok, somebody clue me in here. I always thought the birch speakers were plywood and plywood only. What you see is the top most ply when looking at the large, flat, surfaces. That is why on these corns or say a HBR you see the plys from the front. along the edges.

I didn't think they took plywood and put a birch veneer over it. It is just birch plywood isn't it?

Confused.[8-)][*-)]

You're right Rich, I just didn't see the exposed ply on Chris', the background and edges are both pretty dark.

So then the Heresies that BSButton veneered and I finished are pretty unique indeed, as the veneer runs to all corners- no edges showing except on back.

M

Confused.[8-)][*-)]

I believe that is correct, yes.

Chris King - I've thought about your Cornwalls alot. When I first saw the pic, I assumed they were veneered as they were too 'clear' for the mostly crap birch I see constantly.

I'm thinking with these birch Klipsch, there are 2 types floating around.... the paint grade birch ply with fungal, sap, etc. stains, and the 2nd type - clearish. Unfortunately, I don't see the latter much. Sometimes I'll see them with one nice clear speaker, and the other having 'the stains'.

My LaScalas have some ugly staining in them, I'll try to attach a pic of my problem areas. I've tried to search on this to see if it can be somehow removed, or at least blended in.

I just found a pair of decorator Corns at an estate sale (they took credit cards and I had an empty van outside - what's a girl to do?).... I 'think' they are pretty clear under the WALNUT stain, but it's hard to tell. Dark stains are tricky as heck on birch, maple, etc. and I think people are makeing a mistake by staining them like this. One should use conditioner, etc. else it'll get all blotched up. I want to redo them, and pray if I do, they turn out as nice as Chris's (clear).

Chris - I'm assuming you got lucky with a pair that has none of this staining? But I'd love to see a pic of both of them if you're able.

post-20189-13819286750622_thumb.jpg

post-20189-13819291022048_thumb.jpg

post-20189-13819294981406_thumb.jpg

Chris King - I've thought about your Cornwalls alot. When I first saw the pic, I assumed they were veneered as they were too 'clear' for the mostly crap birch I see constantly.

I'm thinking with these birch Klipsch, there are 2 types floating around.... the paint grade birch ply with fungal, sap, etc. stains, and the 2nd type - clearish. Unfortunately, I don't see the latter much. Sometimes I'll see them with one nice clear speaker, and the other having 'the stains'.

My LaScalas have some ugly staining in them, I'll try to attach a pic of my problem areas. I've tried to search on this to see if it can be somehow removed, or at least blended in.

I just found a pair of decorator Corns at an estate sale (they took credit cards and I had an empty van outside - what's a girl to do?).... I 'think' they are pretty clear under the WALNUT stain, but it's hard to tell. Dark stains are tricky as heck on birch, maple, etc. and I think people are makeing a mistake by staining them like this. One should use conditioner, etc. else it'll get all blotched up. I want to redo them, and pray if I do, they turn out as nice as Chris's (clear).

Chris - I'm assuming you got lucky with a pair that has none of this staining? But I'd love to see a pic of both of them if you're able.

Howdy,

My CW's have quite a long history with me and another Klipsch Board member (Joshnich), but I'll give you the short version. They were origianlly treated with tons of Linseed oil and hand rubbed. Over the years the linseed oil yellowed quite a bit and there was some water staining (planter rings, etc.) on the tops. My son and I sanded the living daylights out of them and that seemed to "blend in" 90% of the problem, but a fair amount of yellowing remained. I brought them to a woodworking shop and the owner told me he could further sand down and then stain them, but like you mentioned, he recommended not staining too dark. Instead he suggested a light brownish color that turned into the beautiful cherry-like color when applied to the still somewhat yellow (almost yellow-blonde) wood. The water staining is almost completely gone and very difficult to discern from the natural grain of the wood. I'll try and post some pictures in the next few days.

Quite frankly, the stains on your new CW's look like they might "sand out" nicely. But, I'm no expert at all. I did restore a similar pair last year that wear only sealed originally and in pretty rough shape. They came out very nicely. I'll post some pictures I have on my laptop of them before and after refinishing.

Good Luck,

Chris

post-7667-13819286751562_thumb.jpg

post-7667-13819291022958_thumb.jpg

post-7667-13819294982316_thumb.jpg

Here are my decorators I just found... They came with tinted glass tops which feed into beveled trim at the top. Someone also trimmed around the face and added grills. I'd love to tweak these. I don't care for the darkness/uninteresting brown - and there is blotching. I've seen worse though. Look at that butt-ugly woofer!. A HUGE improvement would be replacing them with BECs. With the bigger dust cover and jet black - this alone would do wonders.I prefer grill-less speakers, with a tendancy to light wood finishes around the drivers and SOOO envision an interesting veneer with new woofers. However, I think there is hope for them in redoing the birch as I don't think there's any (or much) staining of the type shown above on my 'Scalas.

Chris K - Do you know what type of stain they used? I was curious about the gel stains as I understand they do nicely on woods that tend to blotch. Also, that side view shows staining in the wood. I'd be curious to see a shot of that same side. Wondering if it's still there somehow. It was my understanding this couldn't be sanded out as it's fully embedded in the wood.

post-20189-13819286756522_thumb.jpg

post-20189-13819291026938_thumb.jpg

post-20189-1381929498669_thumb.jpg

• 15 years later...

Good to see that name posting again.  

Can't put my finger on it, but there's just something right about that speaker.  Aesthetically, functionally, it's a snapshot of an ode to Function.  And it's beautiful in its way (I understand that opinions vary).  It stands tall now in 2022.  It has survived.  Seen 'em come and seen 'em go, and yet it persists.  A fine and proper woofer exudes authenticity.  It is very much a classic and will not be made that way ever again.  We are all stewards and it shall outlast us all, with someone doting over it after we are gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grindstone said:

Good to see that name posting again.  

Can't put my finger on it, but there's just something right about that speaker.  Aesthetically, functionally, it's a snapshot of an ode to Function.  And it's beautiful in its way (I understand that opinions vary).  It stands tall now in 2022.  It has survived.  Seen 'em come and seen 'em go, and yet it persists.  A fine and proper woofer exudes authenticity.  It is very much a classic and will not be made that way ever again.  We are all stewards and it shall outlast us all, with someone doting over it after we are gone. 

Beautifully put. Thanks.

• Like 1