Aragon 2007 vs Parasound A-52

ancientdude

I decided to just plunge right into separates (I had separates before but I sold my rotel combo...sigh) instead of being a cheap-a$$ and starting with a receiver.

I dont really need the 7 channels but maybe in the future?

I would really just like to get the 2005 or even 3005 but I have a lead on a 2007 that fits the bill.

Descisions, descisions...the parasound is tempting as well...Opinions?

Thanks!

Well before you dive into that 2007 head first you better look under the hood for what you are getting for your money.

My question is "where's the beef?" this thing screams "wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" a whopping 45 lbs for a 7 X 200W amp, uh I don't think so.

Your call though.

Well before you dive into that 2007 head first you better look under the hood for what you are getting for your money.

My question is "where's the beef?" this thing screams "wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" a whopping 45 lbs for a 7 X 200W amp, uh I don't think so.

Your call though.

Eh, weight doesn't always mean it's going to perform well, my NAD C272 amp is rated at 150x2 into 8ohms, it's been tested by Stereophile and puts out 180-190x2 (I forget the exact number) before clipping occurs with a flat and low THD all the way through, and it only weighs 26lbs. DrWho once told me that a heavy amp might only be heavy because it's very inefficent.

I honestly love the sound of Aragon (had the 4004) but those were beafy amps from back in the day that were really built solid (60 or so lbs for a soild 2 channel amp). Even the 2004 is a great amp...

but the new Aragon amps do throw me off a little because of the weight. I dont need the 7 channels and will not need them before I end up selling and buying something else anyways. If there was an Aragon 3005 going, I would definately jump on it...despite all I have said.

I am also strongly considering a Rotel 1095 but I seem to have got the best price on the Parasound (1300, all inclusive).

I guess for driving really efficient speakers, it doesnt really matter! The only problem I find with the Rotel is that it takes some "loudness" before they start opening up (at least with my 1075 it did).

My other concern...that perhaps someone could address...

I dont think I can afford (Currently) a Parasound or Aragon pre/pro but I can definately throw in 1 grand for a nice Rotel or Outlaw pre/pro...

Do these pre/pro's color the sound of my amps? Am I just wasting my money by having two differently "voiced" separates? Or does it not have any effect?

Thank you!

Your call though.

All channels driven--------170x7, I would not call that a wimp..........I have had no problems driving my RB-75's, RC-64 WFO at all. Mind you they are not power hungry.

Looking under the hood of my 1981 F-100 with a 1995 Cobra R 5.8 rated at 290 @ the flywheel suggests not much, wait till I smoke you with it at 85 in second.

Lookin under the hood never says a lot, after all size does not matter.........

I suppose I need to let go of my old school thinking (Heavier = Better). That power supply in there sure does not look very stout, but as stated perhaps it is due to the efficiency of the power modules.

However, I will still take my 7 Channel True Mono Block Sherbourn 7/2100A despite the fact it weighs in at 115lbs and has dual power cords to support the additional current necessary to drive it to full output level not that it would ever need it with the speakers that I have below. It takes power to make power still correct?

I never said it would not sound good I just said it did not look too beefy for a 7 channel amplifier.

Your call though.

I've seen you state this many times in the past. I'm curious, though, what did you think of the sound of the Aragon amps? Did you find that they ran out of power?

As I stated above the amp does sound nice, but in my opinion the build quality seems cheap especially for what they sell for. My old school thinking steered me away from it because I honestly did not think it could hang when all seven channels were driven hard simulataneously. I like to have the feeling I am getting what I paid for.

My previous amplifiers were a pair of rare DBX Reference BX-1's so you can understand my hesitation when I saw the inside of the 2007.

I never got the opportunity to really push one hard enough to see if the bass started to thin out as the power demands on the transformer and supporting capacitance bank increased substantially. Although, I heard it with an Rx-7 based 7 channel system, it seemed stressed during the avalanche scene in the first XXX movie since that can place extreme demands on an amplifier.

I just can't seem to shake that weight = quality thinking.

Back in the day that did hold some weight. Pun intended. ;) However, with advancements in materials this has changed that a great deal. With todays amps going by weight will cause you to miss out on some wonderful pieces of gear. Just be using aluminum instead of steel for sheet metal we were able to shave many pounds off the unit. The 2007 is by no means a slouch. It's not the most powerful, either.

Personally, I'd much rather be able to move the amp around and not have such limited placement options with a ligther amp that sounds great than an extremely heavy amp that also sounds great.

I do ask of you, however, since you really appear to not have a lot of dealings with the amp(s), obviously haven't listened to them much, please...stop slamming them. I see this from you everytime someone mentions one of our amps. You are trying to convince people that weight = better sound. That is very mis-leading and quite false. This could be detrimental to a "newbie". It's very nice and cleanly laid out. It's a rock solid unit and a great performer, not to mention sexy as he!! with the blue downwash light at night. Now, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I will agree with Frzninvt here.

For the dollar the 2007 is very empty,looks big..lift the cover and gaze upon the empty landscape.The great voids inside the 2007.

My type of am is like my ATI 1505 and 2505 used for HT.These amps are not big,bulky and heavy for show.They are packed with oversized transformers and caps and have very large heatsinks.Sherbourn and Earthquake are in the same vein,you pay more and you get your worth.

I know some very light amps that sound simply amazing and can drive any load and deliver,like Linn and Spectral.Compact,but these are not empty inside. [;)]

You want to see a real amp look at Krell's FPB line,at least at Simaudio MOON line.The MOON W5,so smooth,so natural you forget you have a solid state amp in the chain. [:D]

All light weight amps are not created equally. I went with Sunfire due to the weight and the fact that heat sinks were not neded. The high current capability was also a major factor.

The Aragon amps died in the market for the simple reason that the perceived (by the consumer) price to quality ratio was unappealing. Weight and transformer size was a factor, especially when you look at the older Aragon weights versus the new amp weights.

It is better to learn from history than to repeat its mistakes. The Aragon amps need to give the consumer the same feeling that he gets when he buys Klipsch: Best bang for the buck in their class.

If Aragon wants to bring out light weight amps, they need to be digital and they need to have true high current capability in addition to sounding good.

Bill