The BEST Klipschorn mods

consistent

Lots of threads have been produced on lots of mods done to Khorns and they are all engaging but I get lost. I would really like to know what works best; given the following:

The Khorn retains its looks, size and shape with the K33, K55 and K77 but with the exception that the K400/401 may be substituted with Al'S Trachorn and the K77 may also be substituted with the Crites tweeter and any network may be used. What is the best combination with an appropriate network (giving the crossover frequencies) and why does this work best for you? What are your 'sound' experiences over the standard box?

Happy Easter

My best bang for the buck recommendation comes from what I've done on my Khorns, and they have never sounded better to my ears.

BEC (or stock) type A crossover with 4500hz mod

CT-125 tweeter

This combination sounds very good with the K401 horn and K55 drivers. No other changes needed. If one desired to add Al K's trachorn, that would also sound very good.

I just recently finished modding my '95 Khorns.

I started with false corners, which I will be posting details and pics of later.

Then I got Al's AP12-AK3 & ES5800 networks. Big improvement overall.

Next, I got Al's Trachorns & used the existing K55 drivers with

them. Norah Jones' piano sounds like it's right in my living room!

Last of all, I replaced the K77's with JBL2404's. Big improvement.

Yes, these mods were fairly costly, but worth it.

My Khorns sound great!

Biggest improvement was the ALK univerasal network for mine. Also recently added the CT 125 which is just outstanding, although I have not changed the crossover point. I too use false corners, which were a must in my room, and I get tremendous bass. For now, I think I will stop there and am very satisfied.

The only thing that wears out on Klipschorns and LaScalas is the network (crossover). You can rebuild your existing crossover with new parts, or order any of the new crossovers that some of the members offer. They will all improve the sound or should I say bring the speaker back to spec. There is no magic crossover the improvement in sound comes from the new parts and mainly new caps.

Everyone should rebuild or replace their 15 plus year old crossovers. Then you will hear the Klipschorn how it used to sound before age came into play.

After that there are many mods you can do, if you want to play around and see what sounds best to you.

Also look at the wires, some of the old copper Monster Cable turns green with oxidation and should be replaced.

Best mod I ever did was rip off the top HF unit Of my K horn & replace with Bob SMITH DSH horn & JBL 375 or 2450 mid driver. Placing a JBL 2404 tweeter on top of that. Tri amped useing a electronic xover & six mono blocks. I did this 20 yrs ago havent looked back. Also have a pair of stock Khorns for compairison to the doughting visiters.

Best mod I ever did was rip off the top HF unit Of my K horn & replace with Bob SMITH DSH horn & JBL 375 or 2450 mid driver. Placing a JBL 2404 tweeter on top of that. Tri amped useing a electronic xover & six mono blocks. I did this 20 yrs ago havent looked back. Also have a pair of stock Khorns for compairison to the doughting visiters.

I'll kind of second that mod. I got rid of the Midrange and 'Top Hat' and replaced it with an Altec 1005B Horn and 288-16K driver.