Zeppelin, LPs, 45rpm, Classic Records 200g...

rplace

...what more could you want? How about a cool case? They really are making this hard to say no to, don't you think? Anybody got any ear time with the Classic Records reissues at 45RPM. I really like the 200g 33s I have picked up. Got 5-10 and they are all winners.

https://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RTH3001QP

rth3001qp.jpg

rth3001qp-2.jpg

So, who is in???

Allan, I have snagged a few original LPs, while not MN...it is pretty obvious they were designed to sell and be played on one of those portable TTs with 20g tracking weight. Don't forget to put the penney on the arm for good measure. [:P]

Seriously, I don't think (limited experiance) they were all that well done. I have Houses of the Holy and PG on 200g classic records label and think they outplay the ones I have managed to find.

The hand full of jazz LPs I have from Classic I like as well.

I can't bring myslef to pay 150-200 per LP when a NM MFSL version pops up on ebay. For some reason having all in one shot on single sided 45rpm 12 inch discs in the cool box seems like a good idea. I have been working 12-14 hour days lately and drinking a bit at night, my brain is mush...so I'll have to sleep on this.

Don't you feel that is alot of money for 45's? Why would a person want those discs? I don't understand the purpose of re-release of those songs as singles. Help me here, don't want to argue the merits, just wondering why a person might want those singles, unless you want to store them for awhile, hoping they increase in value? Just asking.

OB-ster, they are not 45s in the traditional sense. They are 12" (LP size) records that play back at 45 rpm vs. 33 and 1/3. This is supposed to allow for the music (stuff in the grooves) to be spaced further apart and thus not make your needle work so hard at reproducing the music. That might not quite be the whole story...but the basic idea.

In theory if you had the exact same master and cut it at 78, 45 and 33 the 78 would sound the best. However you can't get as many songs on something that is spinning faster and taking up more space. Space in a linear sense with regard to the groove. A minute of 45 rpm music would take more groove-length then a minute of 33 rpm music.

This set is the LP version of all the music. Same songs, same order. I would guess about 3 songs per side on average rather then 5-6 you see on a traditional LP.

The only rare Zep I have is a couple copies of the Hey Hey (what can I do) backed to Immigrant song on original 45 rpm (45 sized disc)

Another fun Zep oddity to look for is either II or III, with the runout grooves sporting the script text (from Alister Crowley), I think " Do what thou wilt"

I also have a non-assembled flat cover from the III album by Hypgnosis and a pad of stationery from SuperHype publishing.

There are bootlegs by the gazillion to speak of, my prized one is the last night they played together, warming up for the soon-to-be cancelled US tour, Copenhagen Warms Ups, a three LP set containing the entire second night.

Oh, and the gold record award for Physical Graffitti. For real.

Has anyone purchased this 45RPM LP set? I'd be interested in the quality...

Michael

That's a ridiculous price for that number of LP's, I don't care how they're pressed. And all the Zep was remastered by Jimmy Page, so I don't see how this company can claim that their UN remastered discs are the only ones 'approved' by the band?

Jimmy Page was the mastermind of the Zeppelin and was at the console for every original mix session, why would his beautiful remastering efforts be 'non-approved'? I would consider that they could not obtain his authorization to use his efforts for their product.

Sorry, I have all the original LP's, original CD's, and the Remastered box sets. I've reconstructed my fave albums from the remasters series, so now I have Remastered CD's in the original running order. What more does a guy need, really?

M

Michael,

I'm quite sure the sound quality will be very good and their "collectability" will most likely help retain value. I have more than a few 45rpm re-issues from Classic and others and almost every one sounds excellent. Another thing to consider, is the fact that you have to change records/sides far more often. This is due to the higher rpm (obviously) and also because there is usually quite a bit more dead wax on each side. On the other hand, if one is inclined towards transferring vinyl to digital, they would probably produce a higher quality cd than is likely available on the mass market.

Chris

That's a ridiculous price for that number of LP's, I don't care how they're pressed. M

Interesting take on things. I was thinking just the opposite. Typical Classic Record reissue is 30 bucks for a single LP, 35 for double LPs and 50 for the 45rpm version. If you divide the number of actual discs (remember this is 44 LPs) by the cost they are only about 15 bucks each. If you say the LPs are single sided so you really only get 1/2 those then they are back in the ball park of 30 bucks....the cost of the 33 versions but 45RPM records. If you just plunked down 30-35 for the standard versions you would be out about 300 bucks.

So I guess you have to ask yourself if it is worth 400 bucks for 45rpm records and a interesting box and the cool factor of having something fairly unique. I have spent 400 bucks on worse stuff. Where is that time machine. I'm gonna take my 400 bucks back to 1987 and buy MS stock then sell it in 1999. Then I won't care about the cost.[:D]

At any rate I'd love to have this...but 700 bones in one shot is a lot of coin for music most of us have in one form or another.

That's a ridiculous price for that number of LP's, I don't care how they're pressed. M

Interesting take on things. I was thinking just the opposite. Typical Classic Record reissue is 30 bucks for a single LP, 35 for double LPs and 50 for the 45rpm version. If you divide the number of actual discs (remember this is 44 LPs) by the cost they are only about 15 bucks each. If you say the LPs are single sided so you really only get 1/2 those then they are back in the ball park of 30 bucks....the cost of the 33 versions but 45RPM records. If you just plunked down 30-35 for the standard versions you would be out about 300 bucks.

So I guess you have to ask yourself if it is worth 400 bucks for 45rpm records and a interesting box and the cool factor of having something fairly unique. I have spent 400 bucks on worse stuff. Where is that time machine. I'm gonna take my 400 bucks back to 1987 and buy MS stock then sell it in 1999. Then I won't care about the cost.[:D]

At any rate I'd love to have this...but 700 bones in one shot is a lot of coin for music most of us have in one form or another.

Rich,

You have a valid point $15 each really isn't a bad price!! My birthday is right around the corner you buying? [;)]

I know, I know......... you like me just not $700 worth LOL!!

Rich,

You have a valid point $15 each really isn't a bad price!! My birthday is right around the corner you buying? [;)]

I know, I know......... you like me just not $700 worth LOL!!

Craig, I am totally down with buying you a set if you buy me a set. How can the wife roll her eyes if it is a present, right? [6] Honest honey, it came from Craig.

I honeslty think if it was 450-500 I would be all over it. The last $200 seems to be a mental sticking point for me. You know in 5 years they will be on ebay for a grand...and somebody...not me will be bidding on them. I am all about playing them and the music, not collectability.

I'm with you rplace, I think that last 2 bones is gouging a little! The only quality upgrade I read into the whole set is that they are 45rpm but what I read is they were cut from the original tapes that Redbook was made from and they do disclaim that in the Music Direct add.

Zep is my all time favorite RR band but like many of you I have everything they have released on both vinyl and CD/DVD plus many boots that I have paid an arm and leg for!

I picked up there Flamenco Sketches 45rpm single and it is some of the finest I have heard of recent!

I'll bet Colt has a half dozen of those roadie boxes they pack this package in[;)]

For that kind of money you can sort through hundreds of used Bob Ludwig mastered originals to find a mint one. Heck, for that money you can probably pick up a bunch of sealed originals.

I'm out. That's way too much money to gamble on these. The only LZ Classic I tried was IV and I thought the Ludwig version sounded much better.

My point is that if you're going to burn CD's from these LP's then the comparison is this:

The increase in quality of the LP cutting and pressing process from the original tapes

VS

Buying the already recorded CD from Jimmy Pages' remastering from the original tapes.

I would think that there is much more to gain in terms of clarity, noise reduction, separation of instruments, etc from the remastered pieces, than any increase in recorded quality in a better LP pressing. Knowing that you might still have some surface noise and would need to go through the LP->CD transfer process would make this an unworthy task in my book.

Michael

I'm with ya there, Michael. Not worth the effort to transfer to CD (unless you already had plans to do that with your collection). If I were to pick this set up I would listen to it, enjoy it and if after a couple of hundred listens it was a little off so be it. I bet between now and the time I die I won't listen to any one single LP I have a hundred more times.

This brings up an interesting question. Assuming you have a decent TT, cart and it is set up properly (I would think most buying this set do). With proper handling, cleaning and care, how many spins should you get out of an LP before there is a noticeable loss in quality or increase in background noise?

I must have 30 trips on my Classic Records 200g Neil Young set with only one cleaning on the VPI 16.5 and it sounds like day one new.