WTB: Vintage Klipschorns, LaScalas, EV Patricians, JBL Hartsfield Speakers Pairs or Singles

aep30

I collect old speakers, especially 50's and 60's HIFI era vintage. Willing to travel to pickup, please call toll free: 866.653.2834 or email aep30@comcast.net Thanks, Chris

Hello All:

I had no idea that Chris would ever post on "The Forum," although I have told him that I hang out here quite a bit. Bottom line, regardless if you buy or sell something Chris is not only a personal friend but one of the most stand up guys you will ever deal with, period.

Suffice to say Chris is an Altec expert who receives calls from all over the world from those who seek information about vintage Altec, (and other makes) gear.

Welcome Chris,...

Regards,

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but what's all the huh-bub with these 511B's?

I see a bunch of them being used on the forum and I also see quite a few on eBay. I wouldn't mind trying a pair evenually, if I can find some at a good low price. [8-|]

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but what's all the huh-bub with these 511B's?

I see a bunch of them being used on the forum and I also see quite a few on eBay. I wouldn't mind trying a pair evenually, if I can find some at a good low price. [8-|]

The Altec 511B VOT horns are awesome. IMO they are best served when replacing the K400/K500 horns. To me they image better, have better dispersion and offer noticeably more clarity than the aforementioned K400/K500 horns do. I also think they are best fit for use in Belle Klipsch, La Scalas and Klipschorns as opposed to Cornwalls or other Klipsch speakers using lesser mid horns. They will not fit into a CW cabinet as a matter of fact they occupy the entire top section of a La Scala. They will work down to 400 HZ just fine. But they are very fine sounding horns.

Without drivers I'd expect to pay about $50 on up per horn.

The Altec 511B VOT horns are awesome. IMO they are best served when replacing the K400/K500 horns. To me they image better, have better dispersion and offer noticeably more clarity than the aforementioned K400/K500 horns do. I also think they are best fit for use in Belle Klipsch, La Scalas and Klipschorns as opposed to Cornwalls or other Klipsch speakers using lesser mid horns. They will not fit into a CW cabinet as a matter of fact they occupy the entire top section of a La Scala. They will work down to 400 HZ just fine. But they are very fine sounding horns.

Without drivers I'd expect to pay about $50 on up per horn.

Thanks J.4knee!

So why do you say they are not a good fit with CWs? Just because the bass section isn't a horn? Just curious.

They will fit (barely) in LS's but are too deep for CW's.

Chris

If they just barely fit the LaScala's, how is it that J.4knee claims they fit in Belle's? Or, at least that's how I interpreted his comments above.

I bought a University 15 inch woofer from Chris (AEP30) about a year or so ago from one of his Ebay listings. Since he is in Portland, OR and I am in Eugene, I was able to pick the driver up in person and save the cost and stress of shipping. The item was accurately represented and Chris and his wife were a real pleasure to deal with. Like Corvette and Michael, I think Chris travels far and wide to acquire stuff, sometimes taking significant road trips in the process. As per Bill and Munkiman, I can vouch that Chris is a great source for Altec parts.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Actually what I was referring to was IMO they would sound best with an efficient speaker like Belle Klipsch, La Scalas and Klipschorns which all employ folded horn bass and the same driver compliment. And you cannot fit them into a CW cabinet. I am not sure about the physical size of the HF section of a Belle Klipsch in terms of height. They may not fit in that dimension, but in terms of depth they can stick out the back and you loose nothing, which you cannot do with CW's. As far as setting them on top of CWs sure go ahead but you going to have to adapt your crossover to 400 or 500 HZ to take advantage of them. If not maybe using an Altec 811B might/would be a better option. I am using mine on top of my La Scalas at the moment. At any rate to me the CW mid does not integrate well sonically into that woofer and the sound gets a little muddy to my ears. Any improvement in the CW mid horn has got to be a plus. If it were my choice Id opt to move the crossover down to limit the range the woofer is working and let the K55 work from say 500 Hz on up to 5800 Hz. Then I think youd have your CWs sounding as good as they can.