RC-7 Mains

artto

I was thinking of using three RC-7 for front L+Cntr+R in the video/HT system, with the L+R sitting vertically on top of some TV carts forming a console under the projector screen. Anyone know of any technical reasons why this shouldn't be superior to a pair of RB-75 with a single RC-7 center? My feeling is that it would be a little more like a bookshelf version of the RF-7 than the RB-75. I intend to put the "treble" woofer on the top and rotate the horn 90 degrees so the dispersion orientation remains the same.

Do it.

Moon first tried what you are suggesting, and he has often touted that RC7s are the way to go for mains and/or surrounds, as opposed to RB75s. Years ago, when I was first auditioning separates, I took a RB75 and a RC7 with me to high-end stores. Turned the RC7 on its side, and I was surprised - it was superior in every way to a RB75 as a main. Don't get me wrong - I really like RB75s as reference speakers go, but there is no comparison to a RC7. The only potential downside is that a pair of RC7s is more expensive than a pair of RB75s. But, if you want to do it right, it would be worth the money.

Before I went Heritage downstairs, I then ran a RC7 on its side with RF7s as you describe, with the horn turned as a center - due to some equipment placement issues. It worked great. I then went to Heritage downstairs - but still kept the RC7, and it is now part of my main "HT setup" upstairs.

You will not regret doing it, Artto. Go ahead.

Carl.

Hey, thanks Carl. Youve confirmed my early suspicions. Long story, but essentially I wound up with winning two Ebay auctions for a RC-7 at great prices. I figured I would get outbid on the less desirable one, but I didnt, so I was going to sell one of them and possibly average my cost down for the other. But then I started thinking. So when the second one arrived I decided to hook it up, albeit on one channel, with the other channel still using the old KEF 505, not a bad speaker, but very different voicing. After rebalancing the volume levels for each channel I was kind of surprised at what I heard, even with the dull KEF on one side and small pair of Infinity cracker boxes for the rears. So I began wondering if anyone else has tried this. And now that you mention it, I do recall moon posting something about it a long time ago. Looks like Ill have to find an additional RC-7 on the cheap. I paid only $845 for both delivered to my door. [:)]

IT IS DONE [:P]

I just bought the third one on a Klipsch Ebay auction for $410 [:D]

Thanks for all the input guys. At first I thought maybe I was "hearing things", in that I wasn't sure the RC-7 could be that much more robust than the RB75. It's a nice compromise between RF7 and RB75 when you want to/have to go the bookshelf/monitor route. By Wednesday night, the HT should be kickin ***!!! Anyone want to buy a pair of KEF 505 or Infinity RS1000? Or an old Yamaha AV amplifier? Or how about a pair of Peavey SP-2?