Boss wants me to suggest a 7.1 receiver for her 1/2 million dollar house

Mighty Favog

O.k. so I'm strictly a two-channel guy and half just as much money in it as my last new car.

That said, my boss needs a new receiver with a total of 8 speakers through the house in about 3-4 zones. I first thought of a zone amp but she's not willing to overboard like I did.

So the budget is about $800 to $1,200 and she's not an audiophile in the least. But it will go in the home of a very high ranking public-ly official. (I know my spelling sucks today)

Isn't .5M just a standard house? I know that is the bottom end of the

homes in my neighborhood with cracker boxes closer to the ocean in the

"rougher" (older) section of OC going for two to three times that.

Oh well, you are in need of a receiver, the Yamaha RX-V 1600 has 3 zones and a remote that controls them.

Another unit to look at is the RX-V 2600 a review of it is at

review

Though my RX-V 750 is further down the line, it has nice quality sound and is easy to setup

Isn't .5M just a standard house? I know that is the bottom end of the homes in my neighborhood with cracker boxes closer to the ocean in the "rougher" (older) section of OC going for two to three times that.

Oh well, you are in need of a receiver, the Yamaha RX-V 1600 has 3 zones and a remote that controls them.

Another unit to look at is the RX-V 2600 a review of it is at

review

Though my RX-V 750 is further down the line, it has nice quality sound and is easy to setup

Cali does that to you Cal... in the rest of the world, 1/2 mil will get you quite a bit more then your typical 'stater' home, lol. In my 'hood', lil 1600 sf brick ranchers tucked amongst newer 4-6000 sf homes go for $200-250k with the newer, bigger homes in the $500-$1m

btw, I like the Denon... and Pioneer recievers

I'm very happy with my Yammie RXV2400 at about $900. There are new models out there. I usually go for 2nd or 3rd from top of the line for best value and features.

NOT BRIGHT AT ALL- shuttup all you yammie haters- I mean it- don't make me come over there!

Michael

O.k. guys so far so good.

Let me throw another wrench in the machine. Heres what I need it to do.

Play 4.1 in the room with the TV when theres a movie in but normal stereo to all channels at all other times. Playing 7.1 when a movie is in will only play the "artifact" sounds in another room and really confuse someone whoes in that other room. So having 2-3 zones in true stereo is probably more important.

A few models I found so far (and I really didn't want her to get it from BB but she says she doesn't mind) are:

Yamaha HTR 5890 ($699) from BB

Yamaha HTR 5960 ($499) from BB

Onkyo TXSR603X ($499) from CC

Onkyo TXSR703X ($799) from CC

BTW- She cut the budget down to around $500[:@].

If I get a chance to get out more in the next few days there is another store I want to try around here called Alamo Electronics in Montgomery.

Tom,

Since she cut the budget, another recommendation would be the Harman Kardon AV 240 or the AV 340 ......... Those would fill the bill and they sound awesome also.........

Also as I've stated in other posts a good two zone receiver is the Yamaha RX-V 657 or the newer version 659 Models.........good Luck!

• Moderators

Tom,

Since she cut the budget, another recommendation would be the Harman Kardon AV 240 or the AV 340 ......... Those would fill the bill and they sound awesome also.........

Also as I've stated in other posts a good two zone receiver is the Yamaha RX-V 657 or the newer version 659 Models.........good Luck!

My vote would also be th Yamaha, I have the RXV 730 and it has 2 zones, only paid $500 a couple years ago.

If i were to buy another reciever it would be Yamaha or HK.

WOW a 1/2million dollar home WOWEEEE soory I was so impressed I felt like watching the Rich and Famous with the legendary Robin Leech driving his 1/2 million dollar Rollce. I always dreamed I would leave my van down by the river.

The stated,I would look Yamaha and Denon.Both offer good producs and my experience with them is nothging but great.

ONKYO are you for real, if you want to visit a repair shop buy ONKYO. A half a million house gets $500. for a receiver, what happened there? If that's the price, guess McIntosh is not in the picture, try the usual suspects Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, pass on the ONKYO.