Rega says adjusting VTA is completely futile

Parrot

http://www.n.mackie.btinternet.co.uk/documents/regaonvta.html

Excerpt:

Futility: We can see that cartridge VTA is normally around 10° higher than the record cutting angle. And the record cutting angle varies by around 7° whilst it is being played.

THEREFORE A MAXIMUM ARM ADJUSTMENT OF ONLY 1° CAN BE SEEN TO BE COMPLETELY FUTILE.

To accurately match cartridge VTA to the record cutting angle the back of the arm would need to be well below the record (impossible!) and the cartridge VTA would need to vary at least 7° whilst playing the record!

Excerpt:

Normal advice: Most informed advice is to keep the arm tube roughly parallel to the record surface. In fact, the VTA becomes more correct as the rear of the arm is lowered as much as possible, the limit being when the arm or cartridge touches the record.

I've found that a slightly lowered rear arm, gave the best results in my case. But VTA is not something I loose sleep about.

I have spoken to Roy Gandi a few times on the phone. He does have very definite ideas on what a TT should and should not do. Equally I have spoken to Tom Fletcher (Nottingham) on the phone. He too has very definite ideas on all things TT. Both are respected manufacturers and both have a very dedicated following. Generally they agree on the big picture but not on the details.

From what I have seen adjustment of VTA is not merely a case of how close you get to the angle of the cutting head. It is more about optimizing the balance of arm and cantilever to ensure the diamond rides optimally in the groove.

I think most people will agree that there can be quite dramatic changes in the musical presentation between a cartridge riding in a laid back, counterweight down position and one riding in a more agressive counterweight up position. Generally at or around parallel to the record surface is considered the norm - although this is not always the best.

IME the degree of change experienced as you adjust the VTA varies dramatically with the cartridge. Some do not seem to be too bothered (my old Shelter 901 for example - hardly changed at all) whilst others (a friend's ZYX Airy 2 for example) was startling.

FWIW the Denon 103 is somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes on most arms.

Me thinks Rega is trying to cover their arse for not including VTA adjustments in their arms.

I can see not worring about making adjustments for each record, but change mats or carts and you just changed the angle a couple degrees. Why not let the user adjust for this? IMO, they are trying to keep the buyer stuck with their equipment.

I asked my local Rega dealer (btw, the P3 was probably the cheapest piece of equipment in his store) about this and his response, "I've gone round and round with them about it."