Crown and other Power amps Blow Out at Musician's Friend

Maybe Michael or others who have experience with Crown or the other amps in this link can comment. Are any of these good choices for driving Klipsch in a home setting (recognizing you would probably want to use a rack mount)? Here's the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+701674&src=3NL6EBA

I have no association with Musician's Friend--other than occasionally buying something from them. I believe they do have a 45-day no-questions-asked return policy.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Thanks for the tip o the hat Tri, but I've mostly experience with MicroTech and DC series. DrWHo or Duke might know more about these newer beasts. I do know that a couple of series are kinda cheapo's from a Crown standpoint and might be too noisy for home enviroment.

Michael

Maybe Michael or others who have experience with Crown or the other amps in this link can comment. Are any of these good choices for driving Klipsch in a home setting (recognizing you would probably want to use a rack mount)? Here's the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+701674&src=3NL6EBA

I have no association with Musician's Friend--other than occasionally buying something from them. I believe they do have a 45-day no-questions-asked return policy.

Best in horns,

triceratops

QSC PLX are great amps. No harshness, dead background and very dynamic.

Chris

The only amps I would avoid in that lot are the Gem-Sound (can't believe I actually have experience with them) and the Crown CE series.

The XLS is a very nice amp that I also happen to use a subwoofer amp.

The QSC PLX are also quality amps, but I'm a biased Crown guy so I won't recommend them [;)]

And to stress the point...avoid CE at all costs. Dunno why Crown still makes them as they suck like no other. ew ew ew

The XLS is a very nice amp that I also happen to use as a subwoofer amp.

The QSC PLX are also quality amps, but I'm a biased Crown guy so I won't recommend them [;)]...

Thanks Doc! Seems like the XLS 602 at $349 with free shipping and a no-fault return policy is a decent deal then. I probably won't bite on this myself, because I've already got three SS power amps that I need to start playing with before I bring any more amps in here. The funny thing is that I bought all of my SS amps used and none of them was as inexpensive as this Crown is brand new! Hope somebody looking for a low-bucks SS power rig can benefit from this deal.

Best in horns,

triceratops

QSC PLX are great amps. No harshness, dead background and very dynamic.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That's nice to hear--quite a range of these available at a good discount. Seems like they are well reviewed also. Do you know anything about the history of this company?

Best in horns,

triceratops

Thanks for the tip o the hat Tri, but I've mostly experience with MicroTech and DC series. DrWHo or Duke might know more about these newer beasts. I do know that a couple of series are kinda cheapo's from a Crown standpoint and might be too noisy for home enviroment.

Michael

Well Michael, maybe you should check out the model Who recommended--With all those speakers you can't have too many amps, right?

Best in horns,

triceratops

Thanks for the

tip o the hat Tri, but I've mostly experience with MicroTech and DC

series. DrWHo or Duke might know more about these newer beasts. I do

know that a couple of series are kinda cheapo's from a Crown standpoint

and might be too noisy for home enviroment.

Michael

Well Michael, maybe you should check out the model Who

recommended--With all those speakers you can't have too many amps,

right?

Best in horns,

triceratops

The MicroTech are definetly more solid than the XLS and the DC

series are better for more accurate situations (like for powering your

mains). Colter has way more amps than he needs - and most of them are

real nice.

For 2 Channel, don't buy an XL

XLS are just ok

the big CE, the 4000 is a good sub amp, smaller ones are cheaply constructed to meet the price point of the market, like the XL series

the larger QSC pLX amps are Great !!

the Crown Studio Reference is a Fantastic SS amp

the Crown K models have the Studio Ref front end, with a cheaper power section, Great..!!

A Macro/ Micro-Tech isn't the end all in a 2 Ch amp, but not half bad

the D-75 is a Fantastic little amp, esp. with K-Horns, or nearfield monitor speakers, like my computer

XLS are just ok

the big CE, the 4000 is a good sub amp, smaller ones are cheaply constructed to meet the price point of the market, like the XL series

the Crown Studio Reference is a Fantastic SS amp

the Crown K models have the Studio Ref front end, with a cheaper power section, Great..!!

A Macro/ Micro-Tech isn't the end all in a 2 Ch amp, but not half bad

the D-75 is a Fantastic little amp, esp. with K-Horns, or nearfield monitor speakers, like my computer

Dukester,

Just noticed! Glad you are back!

Now,..... if you don't burn those CD's and send them to me.......well, I'm going the ask for my money back.[;)]

Nice to hear from you.

Terry

XLS are just ok

Duke,

My "little" QSC PLX 1202 has 200 wpc. The first lights barely light when playign pretty loud with horns. I'd say all QSC PLX's are a good deal with horns.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...