Theater Research in Stereophile this month...

jt1stcav

For many years we haven't seen a Klipsch ad in Stereophile magazines...I just assume they're too snobby a publication to carry the lowly "mid-fi" Klipsch brand, that Reference or Synergy loudspeakers aren't high-end enough because they don't need a second mortgage taken out in order to purchase them.

I was very surprised when Stereophile did an equipment report on our beloved li'l RB-15s awhile back (Vol.27, No.2 and on their website) and that it was very favorable (Class D rating). There was even talk of doing a future report on the latest Klipschorns; if that comes true I'll be even further impressed! What I saw this evening when I breezed through the latest issue of Stereophile was quite a shock (but it doesn't involve Klipsch at all)...

Anytime I see loudspeakers from the firm Theater Research they're usually online on eBay, sold for barely $200 to $300 a pair for these large towers (some even cheaper). They remind me of what the punks sell in those white vans everyone hears about...these Chinese made speakers are somewhat decent looking and have worthy specs, and some like the TR-2830 actually sound fairly good (my bro bought a pair of these towers on eBay for $225(?) a pair, but later sold them because their highs were mushy even after a break-in period). But IMO none of them are worth their astronomical MSRP (the TR-2830s retail for $2099 each!) and have never been taken seriously.

Until now...on page 98 and 99 is a Theater Research ad of some of their products. It just strikes me as odd that for whatever reason Klipsch doesn't seem good enough to be advertised in Stereophile, but maybe now with the economy the way it is Stereophile is rethinking their advertising strategy and accepting advertising dollars from white van speakers...what's this world coming to?

Maybe it's the other way around -- Klipsch doesn't want to advertise in Stereophile? Klipsch's approach makes much more sense, and often results in a lifetime commitment to their brand: Build kick butt entry level products that embarass the competition and then let word of mouth do the job. How many here started with promedia -- I know Craig did. I started with the little RB-5, and then moved all the way through the Reference line right into Heritage (damn earbleeders.:)

TR Theater also has an 8 page spread on pages 54 - 61, but it is under Elite Audio. Layout looks very similar, same company probably, different brand. I don't mind the ads if it means more "other" stuff. The recent reviews of vintage equipment is very interesting, since I just don't get excited too about the newest and bestest.

NP - SLADE - Grand Collection (Russian Import)

jacksonbart

"True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend... "

Your signature line is fantastic. It tells a story....

Keep the faith,

-Tom

Well then, that would make sense if that's indeed the case (what Dean and Paul said), and I don't blame Klipsch one bit for not wanting to advertise in Stereophile (and a Class D rating for the RB-15 is rather poor, and we all know they're much better than that).

That this publication always advertises the most esoteric lineup of megabuck equipment the majority of its readers could never even imagine owning, it just seems so unlikely they're now accepting advertising dollars from the likes of Theater Research (and its 8 page spread of Elite Audio, with its even more absurd retail prices). This white van equipment has just as much right gracing the pages of Stereophile as RadioShack's audio components do, but I guess money talks. Maybe Stereophile's hurtin' for more money due to what? A high rate of recently canceled subscriptions? Increased fuel prices effecting the delivery of magazines to its vendors/subscribers? Will we see ads now for all those cheap brands from Wal-Mart and Target? Look, there's Emerson Research clock radios in Stereophile!

Not that it really matters, mind you...it's just seems weird to me is all.

Stereophile thrives on change. Last year's favored equipment, which threw them into a gleeful tizzy, is, this year, unspeakable and relegated to the trade-in market that milks even more money out of the misled. Klipsch Heritage, OTOH, is all about continuity. Stereophile can't be caught recommending a 60 year old design, that's anathema to their MO of moving the goods for the advertisers.

Magazines live off ad revenue. Subscriber fees pay the postage and little else.

Buy an ad, get a review. No ad, no review (saw it with McIntosh in the 70s too).

Buy a big spread and sign a contract, expect to get positive reviews

(even "junk" will be rated as "a good value for the money", or

"promising new entry", or "excellent introduction to the audiophile

world".

Love 'em or hate 'em, that's how Consumer Reports got their start... by accepting NO PAYOLA in the form of ads.