Altec 511B Horns For Sale

KCM

Nice pair, no broken or bent corners, etc.. Had some paint missing so I stripped them and repainted flat black. Welds have been cut and filled with black silicone to minimize ringing. I'll throw in a pair of the Parts Express adapters to fit Klipsch drivers.

$175.00 obo

People sometimes cut the vanes out with sawzall. Most I've read about it seems to indicate it's a lot of work which results in no difference in sound. Some say it compromises the structural integrity of the horn.

Dean,

"People sometimes cut the vanes out with sawzall. "

He did a different mod. He cut just the weld at the middle of the vanes then fill in the void with silicon rubber. Altec did this on later 511Bs. It greatly reduces the cowbell ringing of the 511Bs. Though so does a blob of plumbers putty.

Shawn

Dean, "People sometimes cut the vanes out with sawzall. " He did a different mod. He cut just the weld at the middle of the vanes then fill in the void with silicon rubber. Altec did this on later 511Bs. It greatly reduces the cowbell ringing of the 511Bs. Though so does a blob of plumbers putty. Shawn

Right, just the welds......and with a hand saw, Dean. Delicate work, 'ya know. [:P]

Charlie, I'll get a few pics to you tomorrow.

Cowbell?! Mine sounded more like the Liberty Bell! LOL [:P]

Seriously though, I was quite surprised at how much they ring when you thump the lip of them with your knuckle. However, once I mounted the tweeter "motorboard" to the top of all three 511B horns, the ringing was reduced tremendously, so much so that I doubt the little bit of ringing left is adding anything to the sound. I honestly don't think I'm going to worry about it.

Charles

I really like 511B horns. I use them in my latest DIY speakers. These

are almost complete. I dialed in the bass port lengths and crossovers.

Now just need to veneer them, but I'm to busy listening.

051806.jpg

Nice. What JBL drivers are you using? (the tweeters look like JBL's - I'm assuming they are all JBL).

Chris

oh...cutting off the vanes from an altec 511b...wow.

I can imagine that the results would be mixed....my impression (which may be wrong) was that the vanes in horns were a plus at the higher end of the sound spectrum.....so cutting them off a wide range horn like a 511b, when used as a mid horn...would be hard to evaluate before and after.

something to try on one of my 511b horns someday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...