Question about plasma's and wood burning fire places

stephenp1983

Alright I have heard various things about hanging a plasma above a wood burning fire place. I've been told that you should not do it as the heat would greatly shorten the life of the plasma, and that they should only be hung over gas fireplaces. I've heard that it was ok to hang LCD's over real fireplaces however. So which is true, is it safe to hang a plasma over a real fire place. The fire place that would b e used has vent and mantle so I doubt the tv would come into that much contact with the heat, but I want to make sure.

Why not answer this question scientifically: Do some research.

1: What temperature can a plasma TV withstand: Get info from owner's manual . So I checked the Pioneer owner's manual for the consumer plasmas, and they give no info. So I checked the industrial/Business plasmas and they say operating temperature range is 0-40deg C. That is a maximum of 104 degrees F. That actually seems low, as I can think of many places where plasmas are used and the temperature is higher: bars, outdoor sports events, etc. It gets that hot in a house in the summer, etc.

2: What is temperature above fireplace: Put a thermometer where you want to place the plasma. I would say that if it stays less than 110deg F then it is ok. The issue is not if things will melt, but has to do with being able to dissipate heat. The hotter the ambient temperature, the less heat can be dissipated, and the internal temperture increases.

I build for a living,plasmas over the FP is very popular.If you put one over even a gas FP its not gonna last long,lcd does do much better.I wouldnt put either above a wood burner,imo.

Good question. I have a 10' stone hearth area and the masonry fireplace with gas logs and it's a circulator type, so there are two inlets near floor on the sides and 4x18 or so outlet for hot air on top of the firebox, The wall gets pretty hot after a bit of use right on top of the unit, but further up (maybe because of the stone mass) it is room temp to the touch.

I've had a pine cone wreath hung there all winter that was constructed using hot melt glue and it never softened or disassembled. I thought if I ever put a big screen there, I'd use a mantle or metal deflector of some type to deflect the hot air away from the wall at least.

I wonder if the manufacturers have any direct recommendations on this? Another option would be a retractable screen, as you would rarely watch movie with the fireplace on, so soot should not be a problem. If something did happen, it'd sure be a cheaper fix.

Michael

This is actually for my dad's house, as he currently has a 200 pound 36 inch hd tube tv loo. I had planned on getting him the 46 inch LCD made by samsung as I get it for a nice price, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't possible for me to get a 50 inch plasma. In the room you would pretty much have to place it above the fire place. It setup that the fire place is in the center of the wall and on the left side is where the big tv sits in a cabinet, and the other side has a book shelf. No where else to really hang it. The tv he has in there now is noticable bowing the shelves it sits on, so its time for a change.

do you have a mantle over the fireplace?

is the fireplace drafting correctly.....is there a vent somewhere on the same level that allows air intake?

place a thermometer on the bottom front of the display...compare the reading to the recomended max operating temp in your owners manual.

I wouldn't do it...

1. as already mentioned, heat is the enemy of electronics, if the fire place gets used much while viewing the TV, the life of the set will be effected

2. dang thing will be WAY to high for good viewing while seated...

My two cents. We have had our plasma hung above our fireplace through the last two winters. Not once have we fired up the fireplace during that time.

Even with a Vermont Castings Winterwarm fireplace/stove, where I can light the fireplace and then close the glass doors, I was not willing to risk it. Two reasons: 1) the heat. If you ever felt the brick in front of the inner sleeve - even it gets heated - not to mention the heat traveling up from the opening; and 2) the smoke rising up from the doors - even when you are just throwing in another log.

Now, we just purchased a new-fangled plasma entertainment center so the plasma will be coming down off the wall - and onto a stand - within the next couple of weeks.

We can reclaim our fireplace.

In short, hanging it above the fireplace is fine - so long as you do not want to use the fireplace.

Carl.

P.S. Petrol is also right in that hanging it above the fireplace put the plasma higher than we wanted - optimally. Now with a much lower piece of furniture - the TV will be back to a more normal viewing angle.