QSC rocks the ole Chorus II's

stormin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been said that the PLX is one of the lowest floor noise pro amps out there. I bet since they are based upon it that they sound great. I might just have to do it to my rf-83 one day [:P] Just don't raise the volume up too high as some on the forum used the crowns and they found their tweeters failed.....

Congrats Stormin on discovering QSC. I have been running a QSC PLX for the bass bin of my Belles and for the entirety of my three-way Altec Valencias for awhile now. I guess it is the digital switching that makes their amps kind of special.

Carl.

P.S. The fan noise of the PLX series is a non-issue for me - even with two amps running.

I agree that the lack of marketing/sales success for the home version came from the price disparity versus the pro models (2x +).

That being said, there are plenty of pre-owned pro models out there. Built to take abuse, durable, etc. I picked up each of my QSC PLX 1202s for about $350 each.

Carl.

"Funny thing is about this QSC is you cant look at the power specs and get any idea of what it sounds like. It truly appears to be a complete mismatch for a horn system but that is just completely deceiving."

Its their switching device. I think Bob Lee is a #$%&* genius.

Carl.

Hi Doc,

They were only in production for a couple of years. I guess with their pricing structure on this particular series they didnt do well. They were trying to reach out to the home enthusiasts.

The 1222 sold for 1,500.00

The 2422 sold for 2,000.00

The 3622 sold for 2,500.00.

So they really were rather pricy. I picked mine up used from an individual.

One tid bit on the QSC i found rather interesting. They quote the spec for damping factor at >500 from 1Khz. Bob Lee from QSC states that actually it is about the equivalent to the Crown K2. He says if you went from 400Hz as crown does the QSC would be around 3,000.

If anyone is interested, the QSC PLX series now has a version 2 out and the old ones are sold out just about everywhere. Musician's friend has teh PLX series one on sale right now at really good prices. I picked up a 3002 (550 WPC at 8 ohms & 900 and 1500 at 4 and 2 STEREO - yowza) for $750 brand new and shipped. Each amp below this is $100 less per step. The 3402 at 700 wpc at 8 ohms is $850, a little overkill for horns. The 1602, at 300 wpc, a little more realistic for horns, is only $579. If the fan noise bugs you a low velocity fan is only $18 shipped from digikey. The fan is not that noisey though.

Chris