O/T Looks like I'm getting a cat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cats are currently in picky mode over dry food. I'm testing them. 2 bowls of 2 different kinds - one bowl is ignored. Perhaps they get bored with the same food over & over and need a change. IDK, but they sure have preferances. It's the highlight of their day so I try to make them happy.

The important thing to notice about the food you are using is its ingredients. Foods high in animal-based protein and low in carbohydrates are best for cats. My favorite food for my cats is Innova:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F782K8/103-2527330-6251059?n=284507

It contains no corn, no artificial preservatives, and no by-products. Turkey, chicken meal and chicken are its primary ingredients. It is a full 36% protein. Compare this with the typical bargain dry cat food. Although it costs more per pound than the usual Purina, Whiskas, etc., type of stuff, it actually works out to be fairly cost competitive to them because your cat will eat much less of it to satisfy its hunger due to its much higher nutritional content. I highly recommend it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to read the ingredient list on the package. It becomes fairly obvious real fast which brands are quality and which ones are rubbish.

Your cats are being picky because you're letting them pick. What did you expect? What do kids pick when they get to choose between apples or french fries? Cats will usually gravitate towards what they are used to whether it is good for them or not. Most cats will have diahrrea or other digestive problems if you start feeding them something altogether new to their system. You need to mix it in gradually over a week or two so they can get adjusted to it. I think you're anthropomorphizing a little too much. Feed them what is best fo their health, not what they choose. They can't read the labels, you can. As long as they have plenty of fresh water they will be fine. Get some oats and plant it in flower pots. It sprouts into grass in a week or two and they love it. You've seen cats eating grass, right? It has some essential minerals they need and it helps them pass hairballs.

"Most cats will have diahrrea or other digestive problems if you start

feeding them something altogether new to their system. You need to mix

it in gradually over a week or two so they can get adjusted to it."

happens to humans too.... goto a third world nation where meat is very expensive and in short supply and feed it to a person who had not eaten it in a year or so and watch him have digestive problems.

One thing that impressed me about the Innova was that I noticed that it really seemed to make a big difference in my cat's coat. After a few months on Innova she seemed to be shedding much less and the texture of her coat seemed much more soft, lustrous, and healthy-looking. Other people even commented on it, so I don't think I was imagining it. When I brushed her there would be a lot less hair loss.

One thing that impressed me about the Innova was that I noticed that it really seemed to make a big difference in my cat's coat. After a few months on Innova she seemed to be shedding much less and the texture of her coat seemed much more soft, lustrous, and healthy-looking. Other people even commented on it, so I don't think I was imagining it. When I brushed her there would be a lot less hair loss.

A lot of dogs and cats have bad reactions to grains. We switched our Golden to a different food and it helped tremendously with his coat. He had gotten alsmot hairless, and it has once again gotten thick and full.

Bruce