O/T Looks like I'm getting a cat

If one of you guys plans to send me the picture on the dead one on the highway with the "free cat" sign on it don't bother, I've already seen it.

My sister has a kitten someone gave her and I kind of fell in love with it.[:o] I've always thought of cats as kind of "standoffish" but this one is very friendly and actually crawled up into my lap and went to sleep. Anyway this will be my first one so I'm looking for any pointers from any cat lovers out there.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hide your speakers,or get it declawed(which means its a house cat forever).I (my wife)had a cat for 20 years,great cat,I never want another.I should add the cat brought my wife great pleasure,until it died over a year ago,she still cries.

Get a good scratching post for the critter . With my present cat I have had no problems with him damaging my speaker grills . He does like to get into the top hat cubby hole . My cat is inside only , "they live longer that way" . He also has all his claws , "how would you like to have all your fingernails removed ?" . Be aware , as with any pet you are responsible for it , and need to provide proper care and nurturing . That said , Welcome to the Club .

Pointers sure.

1. Do not let thin wires hang about,as cats often love to bite them.

2. Do not let the cat out of the house,this more often then not = short life and sickness.

3. Do not overfeed them,as with any animal overfeeding leads to health problems and obesity.

4. Cats are not toys and hsould be treated well.I always repeat this as some take little cats "so cute" and throw them on the street when they get older(these people I call them genetic low lifes)

The cat's litter should be cleaned each day,cats do puke from time to time! Yes ours does it one a month...near the dishwasher/dryer..his puking place. [:P]

That would be all.

Some cats are very clever and will learn to open doors! Mine managed to open the door get in and was asleep in my listening chair.Knows no bitting wires,he destroyed many electrical wires when he was under a year old,now he does not bite wires anymore.I cannot see how he was not mortally electrocuted,he fancied electrical powercords!

Cats are great. We had two together, one we got from my parents and one who was a stray. The stray lived the longest, around 18 years. He couldn't get enough lovin' from you, and provided lots of laughs and comfort. One of the best we ever had. They were both great cats, and were strictly indoor.

Throwing up happened on occasion, sometimes due to hairballs, or from who knows what. The damage they inflicted on the house was minor compared to what we got from them in return.

post-7149-13819298651592_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I was already worried about my speakers so I plan on taking some precautions, especially covering the ports on my RF-7's.

I do plan to have him neutered and declawed. Poor little guy.[:(] But he's going to be a house cat and my sister said that's the best way to go.

Can't wait for the little guy to arrive.[:)]

What a bunch of worry-warts!

My cat has all his claws, goes outside whenever he wants, doesn't do anything worse to the furniture than sleep on it and leave his fur on it.

You would think that you people owned monster mutant-alien cats from outer space or something! My cat did 5 days inside while I was on a trip and the worst thing he did was unroll a roll of toilet paper onto the floor.

It ain't that bad - EXCEPT for the occasional puking - you cat owners know about that, but most of you have or have had kids too, so 'nuff said!

DM

I agree, nothing worse then locking up a cat for the rest of it's life,

which is what you are basicaly doing if you keep him inside.

I've had three cats, Maximillian III, Kilgore Trout and The Anaheim Flash.

I've had three dogs, Pudgy, Habietee, and Archie the Wonder Dog.

Guess which caused more damage.

Ever seen an owner wakling their cat on a leash?

Nuff said.

BS ! The last 3 cats I had were run over . I waited 5 years to get another one and decided I would do the responsible thing and keep him inside . He does not know any better and is very well behaved .

Go ahead and get the critter declawed but don't say I did not warn you . My parents declawed their present cat and that thing is Evil Incarnate . [6]

With an inside outside cat you may get lucky . Or you may end up burrying a pet that you grew very fond of .

If I were to get another cat it would be operated on for sure. All of our cats have been. The last two live the longest of any we have had and were the best.

Next you will want us all to join PETA.

This subject is worse that talkin' politics.

I wouldn't push too hard for anyone to declaw their cat but we declawed ours(front).He lived over 20 years of the best life any cats ever had and never saw a vet until his last year.It never affected him in any negative way health wise.He didn't even know he didn't have claws,he still went around scratching on the sofa and whatnot.If however he would have been exposed to other animals(other than our large white rabbit)he would have been semi defensless(he would lay on his back and claw with rears).

Its the kind of thing everyone needs to decide for themselves,for me it was the only way a cat was coming into my house.