Can you give me some info about these Heresies?

Hi. I was referred here from AK, so I joined to ask some questions. I picked up a pair of Heresies today at a thrift. Like I needed another pair of speakers, but I was familiar with the name. They are HBB s/n 100U258/9. Down the left side the letters P and L are stamped. Cabinets are scuffed but not torn up. They were inspected by John Goynes? and tested by M.U. Bradford.

I'd appreciate any information about them. Are there any tests or inspections I should perform before I hook them up to an amplifier? I read on this forum about replacing the crossovers. Is that necessary?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum

HBB should stand for Heresy Birch Black

the U means they were built in 1980, from the klipsch factory date codes

the P and L should stand for the first letter of the persons name that built them or helped build them.

hook them up and listen to each of the components to see if they all work and if they do sit back and enjoy them

the crossovers can be rebuilt to bring them back to factory specs from people here on the forum, contact forum member BEC for info.

Yes, these have K-77M, K-55V, and K22EF with the Type E balancing network. I am just beginning to figure out what all that means, but I cracked the backs to take a look.

These are some speakers! I don't think I have ever heard any Heresy(s) or any other old Klipsches before. I've been playing them loud, in a big tall garage, hooked up to a little t-amp and a cheap walkman cdp. They might be the best rock and roll speakers I have ever heard. I read that they lack bass, but I think they do a pretty good job from at least the A string on up on the electric bass. I haven't listened to any double bass things yet.

I guess I'm going to have to study up on refinishing. I'd just as soon they weren't stained black, but I sort of gather that since they are, they'll have to stay that way.

I can tell you are already hooked. In less then a year you will own Forte, Chorus, LaScala, Belle and be looking to remodel your house so you have the right corners for khorns.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride! Heresies are fantastic speakers. Lack of bass is all relative. Lacking for the purest and geek crowd. Way better then the Bo$e and theater in a box crowd has. Hereies really are a great all around speaker when you consder size, cost, build quality....oh yea and SOUND.

If you are at all handy you can slap some new veneer on the Heresies and give them just about any look you want.

As I read all the Heresy posts, I want to add that I picked these up at a little thrift store supporting a church for $10. They wanted $7, but I thought a little extra wouldn't hurt. I guess I need to go back and make a contribution when I'm in the area!

...go back and make a contribution?? You will have to do more than that..You stole them babies..maybe a prayer or two to ask for forgiveness!![;)][;)]

Good score and enjoy your new speakers and the ones that will soon follow...and there will be more..trust me. [:D]

JJ

Even if you contributed $100 or more, you still stole them Heresys (they're worth several hundred more than that, even in worse shape)! You may have to go to confession and say a few Hail Mary's for that major sin!

Congrats on becoming a Klipsch Forum member, and welcome to Heritage ownership.