OUTDOOR SPEAKERS

I have a pair of Klipsch SA-2s on my patio, they have operated without a problem for four years now. They are not positioned to be out the rain but have passed many years of rainy season humidity and baking heat (above 100 degrees) without any noticable effects. they sound good too. regards, tony

I strayed from the herd here, and went with some JBL N26AW's(ported 2-ways with 6" woofer and 3/4 metal dome, all weather) as the Iprice was unbeatable. However the discrete mounting brackets were almost 1/2 the price of the speakers, but still made for a good deal. I paid $109 & $45 respectively.

At the time(about 3 years ago), newer models were out, so that may have been the reason for the cheepness(not the brackets).

I also run the Heresy in the main system, and while the JBL's don't compare sonically, for outdoor purposes they serve just fine.

I am not sure if the line up, did the AWs replace the SAs?

Either way, I have four AW-650s in my back yard, two on the patio and

two on the corners of the house to cover the pool area. No

complaints from the neighbors yet so I either don't play them loud

enough, or they just sound so darned good they can't complain. I

can't attest to rain, I live near Dallas we are in second year of

drough but I can attest they hold up well to the sun and heat. [H]

Worst case, if you are worried, they mount on brackets that make them

fairly easy to remove, just put some banana plugs on your cables, and

if the rare storm does appear, take them inside.

Alternatively, mount them under the roof eaves so as to create a

watershed, only blowing rain could reach them that way.

P.S. AW stands for All Weather, 650s have 6.5 inch drivers, 500s

have 5 inch drivers, etc. All have horns so they all sound

Klipsch sweet. They are very efficient like all the Klipsh

speakers too.

I run 4 JBL S36AWIIs on the patio. They're 3 way with a 6 inch woofer and sound pretty good. Got em all NIB off E-bay from a single seller at $80 ea I think. I do leave em out all spring, summer and fall and bring them in for winter. They've handled heavy rain and half inch hail w/o problems.

I also have the SA-2s on my patio and they sound incredible! They've survived numerous downpours without any problems. In fact, they've been outside all week in the rain. I bought them from another forum member but I'm sure you could find a pair reasonably priced on ebay or from a dealer. They're virtually indestructable.

The AW line is really nice. They even have an AW subwoofer so to speak to help out the low end which can be tough in the great outdoors. I've only heard a pair of 650's and will definitely be adding a pair to my patio next summer along with the AW 800(I think that's the model number).

I don't know if they're the best outdoor speakers in the world but I like to support the troops(Klipsch) when I can and they certainly sounded great at the guy's house where I heard them.

Oh yea, I just remembered. I heard a pair playing from the roof of a gas station last year that sounded incredible. Best gas station music I've ever heard.