Who uses SS Amps and Tube preamps?

What combos have you tried that have a great mix of a great low end and the warm, lush sound that only tubes will provide?

I am planning on experimenting with a line tube preamp and quality pair of SS monos. My budget is pretty tight for this system. I am looking at the JM Merlin among others?

Any thoughts?

I am currently running a Merlin Pre with an Alesis SS power amp (75wpc/8 ohms) -- into my LaScalas. The sound is great. I have no complaints at all. (I am picking up a pair of Moondogs, though).

Having the SS amp means I can really leave it on all day, or not worry if I forget to turn it off. The preamp generates very little heat (the Merlin has two tubes).

I have nothing else fancy at all. Cheap RS interconnects, and old cheap JVC CD player. But the sound is still good to my ears, and that is what counts for me.

Bruce

47 Labs Gaincard and Blueberry Xtreme. The BB is new, so the final verdict on the sound is not is. Let it be known, however, that I find it very VERY good at this point. No solid state etch, although that may be a product of this type of amp alone.

I imagine a Merlin and a DIY gainclone would be a very economical (likely less than $1000) path to sonic bliss.

Duke, That is an excellent point.

ROFL!!!

The gainclone is a chip amp.

The Alesis is a rather inexpensive amp sold for studio monitoring. Very inexpensive, has no fans. I have two of them. You can pick up an RA-100 on eBay for about $100. There are way better amps, but this works for me.

Currently I have an HK 330b with a MAD 4A se and it sounds nice and

dirt cheap too. I picked up the HK for twenty dollars at the local pawn

shop. I like this setup for the summer because the dynaco

generates so much heat. Definetely more responsive with the solid state

amp. Mark

There is however one "bad combo" to avoid, expecially if your musical priorities are simply to have gut-busting, pant-flapping, floor-shaking, window-rattling, solar plexus punching bass. md

LMAO. Sounds rather ridiculous when you put it that way. Do we really sound that bad Mark?[:P]

Duke started it.[;)]

Mark,

Thanks for the info on impedence matching. I would like a solid bottom end, but want a balanced system as much as anything.

Any recommendations on a good, affordable (under a grand, pre-owned) that will mate well with your Merlin? The Peach is out of my budget a bit.

Thanks for your help.

I have been using a Bottlehead Foreplay with an Anthem MCA-20 with much success. It is dead quiet with a black backround. It does lack some bass, but the detail and imaging are fantastic. I use this combo for moderate to low level listening.

On another note, I plan to use a recently purchased Peach with the Anthem, however I'm having issues with a ground loop problem and awaiting new tubes, so I can not comment on this combo as of yet.