Tube amp question.

Another Photo, This is a pic of myself holding an 833 in my hands, using my car battery jumper cables and some series resistance to light up a 833 in my garage.

here is a link to my local club web site discussing the 833 and other transmitting tubes with a lot of pics and links.

http://newaudiosociety.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=amp;action=display;num=1137773606

meand8336fn.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SET12, that is a great piece of eye candy! that kind of SET amp might just get me to switch from low power DHT PP...wish I could audition something like that BUT here in El Salvador I have little chance of that! regards, tony

I for one don't recommend running a solid state front end with tube amps.

You should start with a nice tube preamp, but your situation is problematic. You have a turntable, so I suppose you listen to records, and to pull off what you want to do you need both a phono stage and HT bypass.

Does the Blueberry have the HT bypass feature?

Yes, put your tubes in front with SS in the amplifier. The most awful sound I ever heard with everything else being equal, was when I used a SS pre with a tube amp. Quite the opposite occured when I put the Peach in front of SS.

BS

Another Photo, This is a pic of myself holding an 833 in my hands, using my car battery jumper cables and some series resistance to light up a 833 in my garage.

here is a link to my local club web site discussing the 833 and other transmitting tubes with a lot of pics and links.

http://newaudiosociety.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=amp;action=display;num=1137773606

meand8336fn.png

Have a Happy Fourth Everyone!

post-22395-13819302021082_thumb.jpg

Wow i have gear envy! Josh builds some incredible gear even if they weren't amps they would sell as modern art. Have you seen his speakers? I'd love to make a trip to hear his work.

Man Oh man.........If I have that in my Listening room, I'll ask for a "cover charge" if anybody wants to see and hear them. That is surely one of a kind.

Wow i have gear envy! Josh builds some incredible gear even if they weren't amps they would sell as modern art. Have you seen his speakers? I'd love to make a trip to hear his work.

Man Oh man.........If I have that in my Listening room,  I'll ask for a "cover charge" if anybody wants to see and hear them.  That is surely one of a kind.

Believe it or not he is going into production with those puppies!

www.electronluv.com

Click hifi thenin the panel on the left select speakers and then it gives you images to choose from on the right.

Well I guess I'm BASS ACKWARDS cause I use a solid state preamp with a tube amp. So far I prefer this over a tube pre with SS amp but I have not tried the thousands of different possible combinations of tube and SS preamps and amps out there. So far this set works for me.

I have a Luxman int amp I use as a preamp with a Cayin TA 30 35 watt tube int amp that gives me a sound I really like.

One reason I like this set up is my Cayin tube int amp has the left and right channels of both my Luxman preamp and my Denon Audio/Video receiver going into the Cayin int amp.

If I want to listen to 2 channel music I switch the int amp to cd or for movies I switch the int amp to Aux and then I can use the remote on the Denon A/V receiver.

To bypass the Cayin int amps volume control I just turn the volume all the way up and then use the volume on the preamp or A/V receiver.

I know this is short notice but I live in North East Austin if you want to hear a pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 SET Moondogs 3.5 watts you are welcome to come up today July 2 Sunday. I would offer next weekend but I sold these amps to Marvel and I'm mailing them off on Monday. So I'll send you a email with my number.

If not you are welcome to come down some weekend!!

I did a review of the moondogs that might help you decide if SET amps might work for you:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/702243.aspx

Good luck with your quest!!

Well I guess I'm BASS ACKWARDS cause I use a solid state preamp with a tube amp. So far I prefer this over a tube pre with SS amp but I have not tried the thousands of different possible combinations of tube and SS preamps and amps out there. So far this set works for me.

I have a Luxman int amp I use as a preamp with a Cayin TA 30 35 watt tube int amp that gives me a sound I really like.

One reason I like this set up is my Cayin tube int amp has the left and right channels of both my Luxman preamp and my Denon Audio/Video receiver going into the Cayin int amp.

If I want to listen to 2 channel music I switch the int amp to cd or for movies I switch the int amp to Aux and then I can use the remote on the Denon A/V receiver.

To bypass the Cayin int amps volume control I just turn the volume all the way up and then use the volume on the preamp or A/V receiver.

I know this is short notice but I live in North East Austin if you want to hear a pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 SET Moondogs 3.5 watts you are welcome to come up today July 2 Sunday. I would offer next weekend but I sold these amps to Marvel and I'm mailing them off on Monday. So I'll send you a email with my number.

If not you are welcome to come down some weekend!!

I did a review of the moondogs that might help you decide if SET amps might work for you:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/702243.aspx

Good luck with your quest!!

As a SET designer I thought this review was right on the money for a classically designed SET I couldn't agree more after reviewing the schematic for this amp.

SET's are capable of much more than this design I would rather live with one of my PP designs than to live with this circuit and I am a SET lover. I find the supply design very slow and restrictive as well as other issues but thats the biggest area of need for improvement.

As far as tubes the GZ37 is one of the best and shows its merits with a stronger faster supply as stated I think one wouldn't find much differance in rectifiers as was found.

As far as 2A3's a fave in my local group is the KR2A3 it is even richer in harmonics then most 2A3's and can do up to 5 watts do to a higher plate rating and it sounds similar to a 45 and has a greater emmission from it's filament as well as a higher vacuum, it is pricey but worth every penny! KR also has a high emmission 6SN7 pricey as well I haven't heard it but I certainly would like to!

SET12

Well the Moondogs from the review are now on their way to Georgia to Marvel's house.

This was my first experience with a SET design and I enjoyed it very much. In the future I would like to try a 300B SET amp but it will be much later in the future.

And they are on their way. James shipped them out today.

I have no doubt that I will like them (even if Paul doesn't [;)] ).

Since I am not using the Merlin at the moment, due to the impedance mismatch and loss of bass output, it will be nice to get these in the system. Right now it is an NAD preamp section into my Alesis. Here it is, with the holiday time almost over and I didn't get my work on the crossovers started. [:(]

There is still the first halfof tomorrow, so there is hope!

Bruce

Well the Moondogs from the review are now on their way to Georgia to Marvel's house.

This was my first experience with a SET design and I enjoyed it very much. In the future I would like to try a 300B SET amp but it will be much later in the future.

How about this DIY 300B!

post-22395-13819304306028_thumb.jpg

This is why I love tube amps...not only for their sonics, natch, but for their aesthetics as well. How many SS amps do you find anywhere that look anything like their valve equivalents? IMO only the SS McIntosh MC250 came close to ever looking (and possibly sounding) like a tube amp. But for the most part tube amp designers definately think outside the box...that DIY 300B amp above is definately a prime example of creative designing, along with models from Manley Labs, Yamamoto SoundCraft, Electronluv, deHavilland, Shanling, WAVAC, et al.

post-11084-13819304310468_thumb.jpg