Really big horns and....

MarkBK

Picture saved.

I bet the wife uses them to signal dinner time.

Seeing those reminds me of the time I was on the bow of the Queen Mary II when they sounded the foghorn. They say you can hear that horn 50 (EDIT: website says 10) miles away on a clear day. Parted my hair right down the center. I loved it.

This is close to what was mentioned before.

"What you see pictured above is a Chrysler Air Raid Siren, the most powerful siren in the world. It's the size of a car, measuring near 12-feet in length and standing more than 6-feet tall. It also weighs twice as much as today's typical car.

This gigantic siren is powered by an 180-HP Chrysler Industrial V-8 HEMI gasoline engine. The super-duty engine directly drives a three-stage compressor that blows 2,610 cubic feet of air a minute, at nearly 7 PSI, into a giant siren rotor. The compressed air screams through the chopper and out through six giant horns with an exit velocity of 400 miles per hour. The result is an incredibly loud 138 dB sound (measured 100 feet from the siren). The loudness of this siren is unmatched by any other warning device ever sold, ever. It's also considerably louder than the largest steam whistle or horn. As if that were not dramatic enough, the whole unit, engine and all, slowly rotates one and one-half times a minute on its iron turntable base.

You can hear it four miles away."

post-21159-13819301978392_thumb.jpg