FS: Welborne Laurel 300B

ttrhp

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that I am doing the right thing by putting this amp up for sale.I ve tried many many SET amplifiers(art audio/wavelength/wavac..you name it..) and end up sold all of them on audigon,but I just cant seem to let go of these welbornes..I am sure most klipsch member are familiar with welborne and this is why I am listing it on here first..for the past year,the welborne laurel never last more then a few hours on audiogon...it comes with chinese 300B and mullard gz??,mullard 6sl7,and some kind tungsol black tube..I just re-caps($250) the monos last month with the intention to keep them forever,but I need the cask for my new 13k zanden 300B.. feel free to call with any question. 832-797-0883..$1200

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dc33b3127cce97617f9808ec00000016102JbuGbRwx0

tom

I am going to try to answer as much as I can.

1) Bought it from a bottlehead member locally with over 30yrs experience with building KIT

2) I dont know much about wood.I stained it a little reddish color to match my pre-amp and in excelence condition

3)Iron? look like copper on top.

4)Caps?...I dont have a clue,but I know the original owner never use cheap part

5)Dont know on this question..I am a plug/play kind of guy and pretty much buy just about anything that within sight,so my answer on the technical stuff are very limited.

tom

Kudret,

The syrah is problemly one of best amp for the money,but extremely and i mean extrememly microphonic..90% of the tubes can sound fine on other pre-amp,but still noisy with the syrah..I would definitely try one if you havent yet.

tom

Tom,

Have a look at my signature.[:D]

I find syrah to be very very detailed, and it also has very tight and clean bass. Even my Welbornelabs DRD 2A3 amps that sounded dull with Cary SLP70 sound very live and snappy with Syrah.

Someone had recommended to me to dampen the chassis, but I haven't done anything about it. I read that blackglass Tung-Sol VT231 tubes are the ultimate tubes for Syrah.

If you have any suggestions for syrah please let me know. Sorry to hijack your thred.[:$]

Kudret

Mike,

yes, those are kef 105(I think)..the pix is only 1/2 of the stuff i have..I ll post some pix of my klipsch room and JBL room soon.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dc33b3127cce97617f9f89db00000016102JbuGbRwx0

I had a friend that had a pair of those and they left quite an impression on me. This was the guy that turned me on to hifi and he had some really nice gear. He started with some ESS AMT-1B's I think and then moved up to the KEF's around 1978 right before I joined the Air Force.

I will always be thankful to him for getting me interested in this hobby...

Mike

Mike,

IMO The kef are just an ok speaker.I think I am going to get rid all of my vintage toys one day and jsut keep the cornwall and JBL(not sure which model).I know this is a klipsch forum,but I was just wondering if anyone on here have any experience with JBL?..I ve been toying around with a pair of JBL L100 lately and was quite impress and on order for a pair of L300 which should be here within the next 2 weeks.. and feel freeto hi-hack this thread cuz I am in no hurry to sell the welborne.

The L100 are okay. I have the 4311 which is the studio version (I find them similar to the Heresy but not horn loaded, so not as sensitive). The L300 would be leaps and bounds better. The premium vintage JBL is very hard to beat.

Bruce