The White Rose...

Marvel

A few of you have commented on the white rose in my avatar, or even sent emails mentioning it. As with all things, there is a story behind it.

We homeschooled all three of our kids (the last will be a sophomore at Valparaiso University this Fall). In 2000, my wife had been on a forum with a group of homeschool moms, exchanging ideas and whatnot. In Jan. of 2001, she had her first round of surgery for Melanoma, and the following October, the 4 year old daughter of one family was tested positive for Leukemia. They both dropped off the forum they were on, but continued to email each other, praying for one another's situation. Barbara was fine after her surgery, and subsequent tests all came up negative. The little girl has gone through three years of intensive chemo, and has gone into remission. My wife would email stories to her mom, who would pass them on, and she would make ones up and send them back.

Last Summer, when my wife was diagnosed with Melamoma that had now metasticized, they began to pray for her again. By now, Adrienne was praying for Barbara every day, sending notes through her mom. Keep in mind that she is only eight now. I began sending Barbara's emails out for her late in the Fall, as she was having trouble typing. It was always such a treat to get one of Adrienne's notes or stories. She even sent her favorite CD to Barbara, so she could listen to it (autographed by the artist no less).

After Barbara passed away in December, I had still been in touch with the family. Keep in mind, we have never met face to face. After the funeral service, when we came out of the church, a woman came up to me and handed me a white rose, from Adrienne. She asked that I place it on 'Mrs. Barbara's' casket.

That's where it came from. I was so touched. I bought some more white roses a few weeks ago, and took this self portrait.

Now, there are many on this forum who have faced great losses this past year as well. We lost Lynn Marshall to cancer. Craig and Rob each lost their dads. And new member Kenneth Lett recently passed away due to a car accident. Some have simply lost a love in a relationship. Others face the possibility of loss at any time, due to health reasons. So, this white rose is for all of you. Whenever you see it in my avatar, think of them, or someone close to you. Tell them how much you love them, and pray for them every day. If you aren't a believer, just tell them you love them. The human heart aches at such times.

Adrienne now prays for me every day, as I do for her. If she gets to next December with no sign of the Leukemia, they will consider her cured. If it does return though, they coudn't treat it and she would be gone within a matter of weeks. The rose is for her as well.

Thanks to all you guys (and the ladies too), who lifted Barbara and me up this past year. It really meant a lot to us both. You all helped in so many ways, and I can never repay you. You all know what you have done. Christy recently mentioned to a newcomer that this place is like a family. Truer words were never spoken. So, while we beat up on each other once in awhile, we also care about one another. Just like family.

Bruce

That's one power-packed white rose there Bruce. It holds memories of the past, hope for the future, and joy for today- each and every day.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is a story of one man's tenderness, pain, and strength.

God Bless you and your entire family. And Adrianne. And those hurting everywhere.

Michael

• 5 years later...

Wonderful inspirational story and words to live by Bruce. I'd not come across this before and hope any memories it may bring back are only good. Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts and prayers for you and your still new wife's continued happiness and for Adrienne and her family. I hope and pray her leukemia didn't come back but know that she's in a better place if it did.

I remember Christy being the first to welcome me to the forum and describing as a big, if somewhat dysfunctional,loving, and caring family.

Since I've joined we've lost Old Buckster and another forum Friend has lost his wife and I think others. May they all rest in peace.

Ben,

Thanks for the kind words. It is hard to believe so much time has passed.

Since her passing, two of my kids are married, and I now have four (4 !!!!!) grandkids, daughter in law and son in law. Carna has two sons and grandson, so the family has certainly become larger.

We are all still growing in our love for each other (and it's all good).

Bruce

As of this past summer Adrienne was doing ok.

She still has some ongoing health issues that have cropped up as possible side effects of her treatment.

My wife Heather joined a mailing list and one day I noticed that adrienne's mom was posting.

It's a small world.