FS: Pair of McIntosh MC-30's...yes the one you saw / heard in Hope!

Coytee

Yes, Ive finally decided to do it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive got a pair of McIntosh MC-30s, from about 1962. They were at the Klipsch gathering in Hope, hooked up to Kaisers BAT pre and IloveKhorns, Khorns.

Ill let the guys that where there make their comments on their condition and sound.

Ive got $2,800 in them. Theyve already been gone through by Terry DeWick and (as I was verifying that with Terry), he also made the comment to me that they were among the prettiest pair hes seen. Because of his endorsement, I bought them sight/sound unseen. My guess is if anyone from the gathering chimes in here; they will probably support that endorsement as given by Terry.

Id like to get what Ive got in them back. Id RATHER someone pick them up instead of shipping them but Im open to shipping them.

Ill offer here first, then perhaps Ebay if no one here is interested. Ill be fairly firm on my price, because Ill be happy to keep them too.

As I just now made this decision, I wanted to post this before I changed my mind (again). I dont have any pictures yet since this is such a fresh decision. Hopefully some of the guys that saw them in Hope will at least attest to their condition. Ill post some pictures later on if there is some basic interest.

If you are interested and want a specific camera angle of something, let me know. As it is, my intent is to get front/ALL sides and open bottom for wiring exposure.

My understanding on their history is, they were bought by someone in the military. I am the third owner. I obtained them on 12/25/2005. I have three copies of some kind of purchase order, or perhaps military procurement form? As I understand it, they were NOT bought at the same time so their guts might be slightly different (Ive never looked). I have the original registration card for one of them (No 8E106, along with the warranty certificate). Also in my possession is an invoice dated 1/6/2005 for a pair of 80/35 mfd @ 475 vdc, 15 mf @ 450 vdc, 3 section FP type, twist prong mount, electrolytic can capacitor Long story short for those of us who have no idea what that means, on top of the amps , in the front right corner, is a chrome capacitor. Most that Ive seen on MC-30s have a dull/matt finish. These are more of a highly polished finish, to better match the base. These cost $70 and were evidently given to Terry for him to install.

Ill try to get some pics taken soon, especially if I have any flags of interest pop up. If no flags of initial interest pop up, I might not rush for pics (I have family coming in for several days and will be busy when at home)

You can email me (preferred) or make comments here. First one who raises his hand can have them.

Oh, and just so I can make this a LONGER post [6], there are some on Ebay right now. Main difference to me is; these can be vouched for as to their condition and quality of play by people OTHER than me. Id rather you listen to them than what I might try to sayas you can see I can say a lot, without saying much! [:o]

Oh, I DID find one pic

post-15072-13819302127942_thumb.jpg

Guess I will be the first.

For what it's worth from a SS power amp guy, they looked and sounded WONDERFUL with the BAT's and cornerhorns. It would be difficult to fault them in either category. As far as headroom and SPL's, in that room and on that day, they gave me all that I wanted. IMNSHO, they were the second best power amps in Hope, and mine aren't for sale.[:D][:D] Just kidding. Apples and Organs. They were very sweet. I spent more time listening to them than anything else.

Terry

SECOND best??? clearly you never installed the new batteries I got you for your hearing aids... [6]

Actually, I appreciate the comment. I'd much rather you guys who where there and heard/saw them give your thoughts than me spew out what a potential buyer would EXPECT the seller to spew out.

So... where in tarnation are the rest of the guys...

I tried to take some pics tonight but the sun was down and my daylight was on the wain. I'll post one that I thought was interesting... perhaps two if it works easily for me

I thought this one turned out interesting... I was trying to capture how nice & reflective the finish was. My goal was to have all the print easily legible so the condition of the chrome would be apparent...

This is the real picture, I did NOTHING to enhance anything. The view is a reflection looking out the french doors that are behind me and the clean verticle line on the right side is the edge of the glass/wood frame.

post-15072-13819304222866_thumb.jpg

These McIntosch amps were amazing! I read an old PWK interview a while back and he made the comment that McIntosch were a perfect match for his speakers but that he also liked Brook and another brand name I can't remember.

Oh great, Coytee. Now someone's gonna hijack this thread talking about your landscaping.

So, did you lay the flagstone yourself?

Heh, those babies are AWESOME! They were on the floor in Hope, and I'm 6'4", so I couldn't examine them too closely (without laying on the floor), but the sound...oh man....

I got a closer look than fini. For anyone in search of an exceptionally nice pr, these deserve consideration. They were a great match for the khorns whose owner has been looking for tube amplification[:)].

SSH

Just noted the thread.

These two amps are indeed beautiful both visually and aurally. They have been responsible for me being absolutely consumed with the pursuit of all things tubal. So please be very carefull with these amps, they appear to have pushed me off of a large crevace into the black hole of endless audio perfection pursuit. How was it that my Yammy sounded ok to me several months back???[*-)]

I brought my Khorns to Hope with me. These two amps were hooked up to them. I have never heard my Khorns sound like this before. I thought they were somehow someone elses. I am literally now trying to figure out how to gently ease myself into the tubal world myself. I would absolutely get these if I had the spare change at this time. My trouble is, I would need these, plus a good preamp that would do them justice, then a decent CD player to feed them some tunes, plus a phono stage for my Thorens...

See what I mean about them being somewhat evil....[:(]

Man, I am so glad I figured out how to use that color changin thingey device....[:P]

Good luck on selling them. I am going to try to figure out the child labor laws for my 5 year old, see if I can get him a job at some factory doing some welding or heavy machine operations ( SARCASM ALLERT************ ) so I can swing the mulah.[G]

Paul

Mark: Ive got a McIntosh MC-2102 (tubed at 100x2) and a couple ss dbx amps. Ill be getting the Jubilees and probably use the 2102 for the top end and one of the solid states for the bottom. If the MC-30 doesnt sell, then Ill perhaps use them...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Fini: the answer is yes, I put every one down....we also did the retaining wall and the pond/waterfall...perhaps you were asleep the day I posted these? (hint...peruse thread for some projects we tinkered with) But please, dont over-react when you see my pic and my physique... I know its intimidating...

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/730834/ShowThread.aspx

Paul: Youre too much lol

Now that the forum seems to be up, Ill try to post a couple more pics that I took last night (again, they didnt turn out so well)

Here's the main guts of the other amp. I don't know why one has 3 "orange things" and the other has two.. perhaps it's a brand thing, perhaps it's a subtle difference in the circuits... I have zero idea.

post-15072-13819304227246_thumb.jpg

The caps in your amps have been replaced, the original caps are bumblebees like the ones posted below. This picture is part of a before picture when I bought my amp, before Craig recapped it. The larger ones .25 and .47 uF were probably losing about 50% of their charge and were replaced which is a good thing for improving the quality of sound. There are people who want the amp with the original caps but that can be a problem for the tubes you are using.

post-6396-1381930433765_thumb.jpg