Am I making the right choice?

xdetroitx

I have but for the price I really cant touch new. I am presently in college so I am budgeted. I will one day move up to the heritage series once I purchase a house. But, for now I want to purchase new. I was originally looking into the synergy III line at bestbuy but after stopping into a audio/video store I decided on the reference series.

Ever consider Heritage Series?? New or used speakers?

Welcome to the forum xdetroitx.

I would think in a 11 by 17 ft room the Heritage line would be too big unless you considered the Heresies. IMHO, what you have chosen in that price range is your best option. If you have access to the discontinued RF-5's/RB-75's and RC-7 near that price I would think that would be a better deal. The bottom line is that if your fingers are bleeding, I think the set up you have chosen would sound superb. [Y]

Thanks for the advice. One of the reasons I am sticking with reference is I at the moment I only have a Yamaha 7.1 channel with 110 watts per channel and I wont be getting an amp for quite a while so with the heritage Id be seriously under powered wouldnt I? What kind of speakers do you recommend for the rear channels. Im not purchasing them yet but what do you recommend? Bookshelf or another set of surrounds?

Thanks for the advice. One of the reasons I am sticking with reference is I at the moment I only have a Yamaha 7.1 channel with 110 watts per channel and I wont be getting an amp for quite a while so with the heritage Id be seriously under powered wouldnt I? What kind of speakers do you recommend for the rear channels. Im not purchasing them yet but what do you recommend? Bookshelf or another set of surrounds?

Buy what you will ,but 110 watts per channel is NOT underpowering Heritage speakers, 1 watt 96 spl, reference series is not that efficient..................

maybe this will help...

Heresys with 50wpc Nakamichi (TA-2A)...sweeeeet!

Heresys with 50wpc McIntosh (MAC1900)...niiiiiice!

Quartets with 14wpc EICO (HF-81)...WOW!

Klipschorns with 60wpc NOSValves VRDs...YOWZA!

...pick your poison!...'course the RB-5s (Reference) sound pretty boss too! (Howzzat oldbuckster???[;)])

Bill

maybe this will help...

Heresys with 50wpc Nakamichi (TA-2A)...sweeeeet!

Heresys with 50wpc McIntosh (MAC1900)...niiiiiice!

Quartets with 14wpc EICO (HF-81)...WOW!

Klipschorns with 60wpc NOSValves VRDs...YOWZA!

...pick your poison!...'course the RB-5s (Reference) sound pretty boss too! (Howzzat oldbuckster???[;)])

Bill

Would like to hear H2's with the Mac, WOULD really like to hear the H2's with NOSValves VRDs..........................

My answer Bill : Come on and let it ROCK Bro.........................[;)]............Oh Boy....................

Buy what you will ,but 110 watts per channel is NOT underpowering Heritage speakers, 1 watt 96 spl, reference series is not that efficient..................

Umm, the RF-10 which is the smallest Reference speaker is 95 dB efficient and all the rest are higher up to the RF-7 which is 102 dB.

put it this way any moderate sized reference or any heritage series will pump out alot of music for 100 watts..... I mean my rf-83 needs only 100 watts to reach 119-120 db and that is anechoic, add room gain and I am scaring myself........ (rf-83 = 100 db per watt)

The rf-82 do a good job but if you listen to more music than movies I would say try to stick two channel. What ratio is your listening habits from music/movie? The rf-82 are great for the money but then again I chose all my money on the mains and have no surrounds. Also remember that it might be easier to place the bookshelf as a surround in college life. Do you live in a dorm or off campus? The rs are really meant to be attached to the wall which if you live in the dorm is a no no fine.......

Umm, the RF-10 which is the smallest Reference speaker is 95 dB efficient and all the rest are higher up to the RF-7 which is 102 dB.

My point was 100 watts is not underpowering Heritage speakers, they will take more but, 110 watts is really fine, I guess I should have left the DBL part out, all I have to say is, the Heritage Series is the Top of the Line speaker series from Klipsch for a reason ......................

xdetroitx,

I don't know much about the RS42s but I have the RF-82s and RC-62 on a

Yamaha. You mentioned only 100 watts 7.1 so probably the same

one, and I can tell you it sounds great. You cannot go wrong with

the RF-82s. I know the purist like the non-Reference line, but

read a few postings in this forum and everyone tends to agree on one

fact, the RF-82 is the best bang-for-the-buck.

When you run set-up, the receiver will likley default the 82's to

"small", reset that manually to "large" and then when asked during the

set-up if you want bass to the sub only or to both, I recomment you

select bass set to "Both", I stumbled into this by accident and not

knowing choose these settings, it makes a huge difference. Of

course that could be because my sub and mains are separated by 20 feet.

My point was 100 watts is not underpowering Heritage speakers, they will take more but, 110 watts is really fine, I guess I should have left the DBL part out, all I have to say is, the Heritage Series is the Top of the Line speaker series from Klipsch for a reason ......................

The "Khorn" may be the top of the line from Klipsch,it's the only other speaker that outperforms the rf7.So the statement that "Heritage is top of the line"as it's your opinion is fine but not universal,I could and have owned any Klipsch I want.

The "Khorn" may be the top of the line from Klipsch,it's the only other speaker that outperforms the rf7.So the statement that "Heritage is top of the line"as it's your opinion is fine but not universal,I could and have owned any Klipsch I want.

Fish glad to get your point of view as always, again I just repeat what I read and Heritage series is the top line series, of Klipsch Products, that's what I've read and see here all the time, but thanks for pointing that out, I guess many others are wrong too, Boy glad I'm not alone.................

There appears to be a lot of generalities being thrown around in this thread concerncering a long standing debate. I try not to get involved because as folks have pointed out--It's an individual preference kind-of-thing.

I feel first of all, room limitations and advantages can make or break either speaker set-up.

{Sidenote so I don't have to post in another thread with another long standing debate [;)]: I have yet to hear a 2 channel set-up playing Vinyl or cd's, compare to my system playing well recorded multi channel source material. That's not to say that the 2-channel rigs in Indy this year didn't ROCK!}

My opinion of multi-channel setups that I have heard are that some may prefer an all Cornwall system over an all upper end reference system, especially if using WDST as surrounds. I prefer my Atypical Reference system over an all Cornwall set up, but I can see why there are various opinions.

IMHO, The smaller Heresy in a 5.1 set up could not compete with the RF-7/RC-7/RB-75 multi-channel set-up. I don't necessarily care for the sound of the Heresies but I have not heard them paired with anything else except other Heresies. They may work well as surrounds with either the Cornwalls or LaScalas--They just wouldn't be in my Dream Theater.

When it comes to pure aesthetics and sound I feel the LaScalas with a sub would be hard to beat in the Klipsch line.

I have not heard the KHORNS in a Home Theater setup.

My conclusion in general and why I have my current setup and don't plan on any major changes--The footprint of the upper end reference line gives you a better bang for your buck if you are limited in space and/or funds.

Buying a Heritage multi-channel system that can compete with my/an Atypical Reference set-up would cost at least twice as much (and that is being generous) but wouldn't be exponentially better than what I have now.

If I had room and funds for an All Lascala system then I would be on the other side of the debate. [A]

I thought there was a question asked here, why ask a question if your not looking for different responses? If one person likes Reference series over Heritage series, great, your money, your choice, I like Heritage over Reference, different responses to the same question, No One is Right, No One is wrong, just different............It's still a Klipsch product no matter which you choose................

Well, after all the reading I went with the Rf-82s and the matching center and surrounds to match. I went new because I like the idea of having a 5 year warranty. I am completely happy. My 11 by 17 room with a drop ceiling snows when I crank up the receiver. Ill have to try setting the lfe output to both like someone recommended. I dont have alot of extra room so the Reference won out. Thanks for the advice.