Beating the Scammers

J M O N

Well it sure does get frustrating. I've posted an ad in a local Internet site for a preamplifier. Sure enough, my mailbox starts getting flooded with e-mails, each making similar statements: they want to buy my preamp, it's exactly what they've been looking for, they want me to send my final price, they will then send me a certified check, they will have their agent arrange for shipping, reply to this other e-mail address as it's more secure, etc., etc., etc. You've seen these e-mails if you've ever tried to sell someting on the Internet.

I usually just delete the e-mails and move on, but it does get frustrating to receive so many of these things. There has got to be a way to combat these people. I had the thought that maybe if everyone that receives these e-mails agreed to receive their checks, and did nothing further, then maybe they would eventually give up and stop trying these tactics. The scammers would be spending their time and money getting these fake checks mailed out from whatever country they're in, and get nothing out of it. Eventually they wouldn't know whom they've conned, and who is conning them. Maybe then they would give it up.

I wouldn't want to give them my name or address, but maybe a P.O. Box instead. Heck, any fake name and address that doesn't even exist would also work. When they make contact later (however they operate), we could just tell them we didn't receive the check, send another one!

What do you all think? Any other ideas?

To follow your plan, the best address to give is that of your local postal inspectors. Alert them that you are giving their address to these scammers and pick a specific fake name for them to look for. That gets the evidence right straight to the law enforcement folks who handle mail fraud, which is what this is.

I've read an article or two about folks leading the scammers on. Some of these are the types who ask the scamee to travel to Africa and such.

I actually like the idea of having them send a check to a fake p.o. box or something. There seems a small justice in letting these people waste their time, since they waste so much of everyone elses time.

Anyone see a down side to this? It could give new meaning to p.o. box.

A friend of mine writes an article called for a local rag called Scam The Scammers and it is funny. His goal is basically to waste as much of the scammers time as possible so they don't have time to scam anyone else. He does a good job of keeping them on the hook. The articles are boring but its amazing what lengths they go and how much they really can lie....

Well here is an interesting e-mail I received today:

"GOOD DAY, I AM INTERSTED IN BUYING YOUR{Stereo Equipment electronics}I WILL WANT YOU TO MAIL ME THE LATEST CONDITION AND THE FINAL ASKING PRICE.AND MY METHOD OF PAYMENT IS USPS MONEY ORDER.GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBILE TODAY.THANKS"

I wonder if they really plan on sending a forged USPS money order? Think that'll get the postal inspectors attention???

I don't know if it gets the attention of postal inspectors or not, but my bank told me a few days ago that they were getting so many forged USPS money orders, that now they only accept them from people with accounts at their bank. That way the bank can get its money back from your account if the MO is fake.

Bob Crites

Regarding postal money orders, I received one once from someone that in the beginning of our talks, I was a bit dubious of. (turned out he was ok)

What I did was simply take it to the post office and NOT my bank (and suffer a chargeback if it was bogus). I took it to the Post office directly and let THEM cash it for cash. This way, the burdon is on THEM to decide it's for real or not and I get cash back (was $750)

Just be careful what you're getting into.

I'll keep it real short:

At the beginning there is a good guy and an AH.

If you get involved in retaliation the world may see it as a war between two AHs. And then the world does not care.

Smile,

Gil

Well here is an interesting e-mail I received today:

"GOOD DAY, I AM INTERSTED IN BUYING YOUR{Stereo Equipment electronics}I WILL WANT YOU TO MAIL ME THE LATEST CONDITION AND THE FINAL ASKING PRICE.AND MY METHOD OF PAYMENT IS USPS MONEY ORDER.GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBILE TODAY.THANKS"

I wonder if they really plan on sending a forged USPS money order? Think that'll get the postal inspectors attention???

I will pay you $20,000. for your car, but it's a returned money order from a canceled deal for $50,000., take your $20,000. plus shipping expenses, and send the balance to my shipper, and we'll arrange pick-up. Please send me your address so I can get this under way. Then the day of the pickup comes and, due to a death in the family I can not at this time buy your car, please forward me the payment I made you.......................And people fall for this stuff..............Rip-off artists and money laundering...........The internet used correctly is a wonderful thing, but scammer central is shameful.................Just my dealings with the internet..............sold an item on this forum, no problems at all, honest deal to an honest man, the way it should be........I just hate it when people try and cheat people..............

Oh I would have no intent on trying to cash one of those fake checks. There's no point to it. I'm merely thinking of ways to disrupt the scammers enough so that one day they might get to the point that they realize it's more effort than its worth and they may as well just go get a job. However, this is not something that I could accomplish alone, many, many others would have to follow suit. Just a thought I had as the e-mail scams pile into my inbox...

My mother works for the USPS as a mail clerk.... sad thing is its everyday for her now... the customer brings in a fake usps mail order check thinking it is legit when they sold something and they try and cash it in and either a. they do not get the money cause its fake..... or b. if its too much and alerts some supervisors the cops get called. There are new rules in how to process every usps mail order now and no money is handed without double checking the #'s