klipsch heresy-II mod/upgrade

kenu

Being highly dissatisfied with the harsh, brittle, peaking and tiring high frequency sound of Heresy-II, (due to EV T-35 or Klipsch's own tweeters) I did some modification to these speakers in order to be good sounding in rear and front channel roles. (After redesigning Klipschorns it was not really that big a job).

To make this short, tweeters had to go, but how? The little horns had to be saved for several reasons so here is the solution: I separated the magnet assembly from the tiny horns and drilled out the phase plugs from the horns with a hole saw and descarded them. Onto the horns'back I epoxy-glued 1-1/8 x18 standard threaded horn throats that were part of some plastic horns. After drying I reinstalled the little horns inside the cabinet and screwd on them a pair of JBL 2412h tweeters. The space is very small there but these drivers fit just perfectly . I am through the first few days of listening and I can not detect now any of those high frequency aberrations that were so annoying and unenjoyable before and spoiled the Heresies. Now the only thing to take care of is, that these tweeters are a bit louder than needed, so they need to be attenuated. But the sound is very enjoyable, and one might just leave them as they are, hot. Believe me, this mod works.

post-23022-13819304790758_thumb.jpg

The Heresy II does not use an EV T-35/Klipsch K-77, it uses a newer K-76K tweeter that extends out to 20Khz as opposed dropping off much sooner. You cannot simply slap another tweeter in there unless the efficiency and frequency operating range is identcial to that of the Klipsch tweeter. Crossover modifications would most likely be required.

You would have been better off and had to do alot less work by replacing the cheap electrolytic caps in the crossover network for better ones to smooth out the top end.

You need to have Heresy on the floor or close to it, and preferably corner loaded since the top end runs hot to start with so the speaker will sound more balanced. If you have a live room with non carpeted floors room treatments and speaker positioning could have also helped.

However, if you are happy and satisfied with the results of your modifications I guess that is all that matters but there might have been easier ways of reaching the same goal.

kenu

That is one way to resolve, especially if you already have the 2412.

Partsexpress has a simular driver.

Bob Crites has a replacement driver which is simular in comcept. He has a new improved driver attached to the traditional horn.

BTW, welcome aboard, intresting first post.

Do you have a pic of the finished product?

I'd sure be interested in seeing some pics from your project.

If you need to attenuate the new tweeter, I'd suggest to check out AlK's attenuator. It is a slick little rascal and has jumpers to attenuate in 2 or 3 db increments. alkeng.com.

Welcome to the forum.

No, I have old Klipsch K-77 drivers in them, same as T-35 , regardless of Mk II designation on the boxes.Tthis mod works perfect for what Heresys worth. Capacitor change may improve upon this, I don't know, but there seems to be no reason for it. I don't even know the K-66es but I had douzens of T-35s, I know them well with their roll-off after 7 kHz. I made pictures just don't know yet how to post them.

kenu

posting a picture.

same proceedure as replying to a thread, difference is, if you look across the top where you would normally start typing your message, you will see an options tab, click on it, select add/update where it says file attachment, abox will pop up, select chose file, after finding your file, select save, wait a few seconds, then go back to the compose tab and finish your message and hit post.

be advised, if you go back and edit the post, the attachment will be gone, unless you re-attach it.

Get rid of the 2412, it has no high end, rolls off above 12.8Khz.

Good drivers start at about $30 each.

That would explain this:

I am through the first few days of listening and I can not detect now

any of those high frequency aberrations that were so annoying and

unenjoyable before and spoiled the Heresies. Now the only thing to take

care of is, that these tweeters are a bit louder than needed, so they

need to be attenuated. But the sound is very enjoyable, and one might

just leave them as they are, hot. Believe me, this mod works.

Kenu,

If you should decide to try another alternate tweeter, I'd suggest checking out the CT-125. This is an Eminence driver with a K77 sized horn and it's an actual drop in replacement for the K77. Price is $150 from Bob Crites, who is the guy who had the K77/T35 type horns made. The sound, IMO is very good and an improvement ofer the K77.

I know the HII has a different tweeter, but the CT-125 might be a good match here, too. I don't recall anyone reviewing this combination. Would be interesting to hear.

You need to have Heresy on the floor or close to it...

That is so true. I was just listening to my Heresys on the floor and they sound great. I don't really like them when up high, but put them on a capeted floor and they just siing.

I have all of the parts to rebuild teh crossovers and attenuate teh squaker by 3 db. That should do the trick.

Chris

It's hard for me to believe that I see a complaint about the Heresy's High End, and no mention of the Low end. I think the High end is fine, as is the Mid, just about right, for my taste. I have to admit, I had them on 12" stands and have since lowered them down to about 4" and they do sound better, lower to the floor............always playing with, or moving around to get best response.............it never stops...............

It's hard for me to believe that I see a complaint about the Heresy's High End, and no mention of the Low end. I think the High end is fine, as is the Mid, just about right, for my taste. I have to admit, I had them on 12" stands and have since lowered them down to about 4" and they do sound better, lower to the floor............always playing with, or moving around to get best response.............it never stops...............

I have a pair of heresys that I plan on using in my office. They wil lbe up high so whiel re-capping teh crossovers I am going to change the taps on the autoformers and add a swamping resistor. That shoudl make them sound right when placed near ear level. See the thread "Heresy Mos, less bright"

I have a pair of heresys that I plan on using in my office. They wil lbe up high so whiel re-capping teh crossovers I am going to change the taps on the autoformers and add a swamping resistor. That shoudl make them sound right when placed near ear level. See the thread "Heresy Mos, less bright"

Thanx for steering me to that thread. I get left behind in the technical stuff though.............................I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box...................................Do you think they should be flat on the floor? I too have a carpeted floor...........

Mine sounded best on the angled riser placed on the carpeted floor a few inches out from the wall on the closest side and toed in toward the listener.

I asking a question because I don't know for sure: Why would placing them close to the wall make any difference, considering that they are a sealed box(acoustic suspension) type enclosure? I have them about a foot out from the wall now............................My KG4's need the back wall because they are a passive radiator enclosure, I understand that theory. Am I missing something with the Heresy's, Does distance from the wall matter that much?

Having them close to a wall would still help out the bass. We also need to indicate whether we are talking about original Heresys or Heresy IIs.

My HIIs are about 30 inches off the floor, middle of the long walls (23 ft) in my bedroom, facing one end wall, where bed is located. The bass is fine for me, and there is a deep sound stage behind the speakers, going almost to the rear wall.

Bruce