RF-83, La Scala II or Jubilee?

Christina

Im looking to build a system for both music and home theater. I have a large room (20W x 30L) that I use for home theater and 2-channel music listening, but cant use a Klipschorn corner speaker.

If budget permits for any of the following, would the RF-83, La Scala II or Jubilee be the best choice? The only problem with the Jubilee seems to be the total weight for each speaker with all three sections is 500 LBS, correct? Im having difficult time finding information on the Jubilee total height, weight and retail cost. Any suggestions?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for helping her Fritz. I'm not sure I'm the best one to answer her questions (never heard/seen a RF 83) and I'm going to be biased on LaScalas & Jubilees....

none the less, she did send me a message and I wrote her a book back, admitting in part, my bias. I'll send her some of the pics I have on Monday when I'm at work (and on a much faster connection).

Be cool if she lived in Tennessee... Mike, myself, her and I'm working on my neighbor who's building large house out here and has a piano playing wife.

Tennessee can become Jubilee Central! It must be the water.

Jon,

Although mine will be in a corner (as I think Mikes will also), my understanding is they aren't as critical as a Khorn to be in a corner since they have that outer panel built into them.

somewhere, I seem to recall reading where we can either pull them out a bit, or it might have even said they eliminated the corner, I don't recall.

I do remember though that they are a LOT more "corner friendly" than the Khorn is. Since mine will be in a corner anyway, I've not worried about what ever it was that I read about it. I'll try to pay more attention.

It DOES seem to me though that they may not need a corner...after all, if they're in a cinema, they won't necessarily have corners behind the screen???

Coytee

If you need corners for your jubilees, I have two that you can use. I'll even pay the shipping to get your Jubilees to my house.

You can visit as often as you like.

Coytee,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you for the very nice and complete email. The information was so good, you should share it with other forum members!

The Jubilees really interest me, but Im a bit concerned about having to purchase an outboard crossover and bi-amping. Is there a version of that comes with a passive crossover and doesnt require bi-amping? The size is good, the price is fine, but the crossover and required biamping are a bit of a hassle and I would rather purchase a speaker that has been engineered with a crossover pre-designed for that specific speaker. Your thoughts?

There is a passive crossover available for the home Jubilee if you choose to go that route. And it doesn't have to go in a corner either - the bass response is a bit flatter, but not a huge deal (same extension).

As far as Jubilees in a home theatre setting...I would only consider such an approach if you were going to go with an acoustically transparent screen and also using a Jubilee for the center channel.

In a home theatre you are also going to be implementing a subwoofer so you might be better off going with the Lascalas all around for perfect timbre matching and then putting all that extra cash into overkill subwoofage. How bout a Danely DTS-20 for example? Or heck, how bout 3 of them and go for stereo subwoofage and a dedicated LFE? [H]

DrWho,

In my situation, the speakers will be on the sides of the screen.

Whether I use the LaScala or Jubilee, the largest center speaker I can use in the Heritage line is the Heresy III. I understand there will be a slight compromise by not using all matching speakers, but I think I'll still be better-off overall than purchasing the RF-83 main speakers and matching RC-64 center speaker, correct?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I don't believe the Jubilee is officially sold as a home speaker. You need to buy the pro cinema version and then modify the crossover if you intend to use it as a "standard" home theater speaker with normal consumer level equipment.

I would go with the LaScala II, they really sounded great. A Vertical Cornwall or Cornscala design might be better able to keep up with them as a center channel although neither of those will have the same voicing/timbre characteristics. I would like to see a custom center channel project with a Squat form factor and folded horn bass bin...

Damon is right. The Jubilee isnt officially sold as a home unit, unless you want that 3-way monster like 68 did. (as though the 2 way version is not a monster?)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What we (Mike & myself) are buying is the Jubilee bass bin and the K402 horn (as you see on the 3 way version) WITHOUT the tweeter on top. They are using a different driver in our system over what the standard 3-way version uses. Our 2 way versions high frequencies will be handled by the K69 driver. Ive got no idea what driver is used on the 3 way version.

As for modifying the crossover, Im not sure thats 100% accurate. Perhaps modifying it would be easier than what we have to do?

None the less, we have to OBTAIN a crossover, not modify one. Were buying it WITHOUT a crossover of any kind. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Roy has calculated the schematics of what the (passive) crossover should be and will give that to a Jubilee buyer. I have not seen it and know nothing about it. Id expect it would cost a couple hundred dollars to get the parts together & perhaps pay someone to assemble it? (just a guess on my part)

The other option is to get an electronic (active) crossover. Evidently, by doing that you can also insert a slight delay between drivers so the entire speaker is time aligned. If you are going to go all out, then evidently, this is the preferred way to go. As I understand it, you can buy an active crossover for a couple hundred dollars (perhaps with or without time delay?) or you can evidently, spend over $1,000 for same thing (and knowingly get time delay as well as equalizer?)

Heres something for you to read on what I ordered, the Electro Voice Dx-38

http://electro-voice.com/tech-library.php?pt=1

Scroll down to Speaker Processors and then click on the Dx38 brochure or manual.

Ive also got a pair of LaScalas. Ive had them since 1979 and bought them new. I heard the new LaScala II and was VERY impressed with its stout lower end. I was assured that I could re-create that same lower end by fixing the resonating sides on mine. Thats in the works later for me after some other projects.

As it is, I would have to say that a HT system made up of LaScalas would be absolutely stunning.

(I just happen to think a HT system made up of Khorns or Jubilees will be MORE stunning hence, my changes) [6]

What ratio of music/movie watching will this system be used for?

The Jubilees will be hands down the best option for 2-channel music,

and for movies as I mentioned would also be ideal IF you could have a

matching center and preferably matching surrounds as well.

Jubilee-H3-Jubilee across the front certainly won't be 'bad", but I

would argue even H3-H3-H3 across the front would be a better solution for movies.

Timbre matching is of the utmost importance. Think about it...would you

want a lascala for the left channel and a heresy for the right channel

in a 2 channel rig? Even the RF83-RC64-RF83 option would be a 'poor'

compromise. Lascala-H3-Lascala would be about the same thing as the

reference lineup in terms of timbre matching. Both of which would be

better timbre matching than Jub-H3-Jub.

But the importance of timbre matching in your theatre will ultimately

come down to you and the ratio of time spent between music/movies. If

you ever get the chance, I would highly encourage listening to perfect

timbre matching and decide how important it is to you. For me, I just

about gave up on multi-channel altogether until I heard the

difference...

Btw, have you considered the THX Ultra2 lineup? The mains are about the

size of a heresy, but wider and shorter. It'd get you that perfect

timbre matching and in my opinion this system sounds great for music

once you get the subwoofers dialed in correctly:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=774

(Just make sure you go with the 650 LCR's instead of the 525's).

Coytee and DrWho,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Is there information on Klipsch's web site about the home version of the Jubilee? Who's the best person at Klipsch to discuss the home Jubilee with?

High Christina

Contact Roy Delgado at: roy.delgado@klipsch.com

PWK and Roy were the designers of the Jubilee and Roy would definitly be the person to contact for the answers to your question on using the Jubilee.

Richard and I are pretty much going for the no compromise version in my opinion of the Jubilee by using the K402 Horn and the Active crossover for the Time Alignment benefits among the other benefits such as EQing that the Active Crossover Offers.

The Jubilee we heard at the Hope Gathering had the passive crossover which was refined even more in the next couple of weeks after we heard it. I believe this version with the passive crossover was very good and would be a very good way to go if you don't want to go to the expense of active crossovers plus amplifiers and this is one reason Roy Designed and demonstrated it to show that it is possible to have the Jubilee today in our Homes if we want it. You can also use a smaller High Frequency Horn if desired for looks and Roy could tell you how that choice would impact the sound but from others opinions from past demonstrations that version can sound very good also.

I believe you said the Heresy's size was the maximum you could use in the center location and this would definitly be a compromise between Jubilees, Khorns, LaScalas or Belle Klipsch since these are full range Horn Loaded Systems but at least when you are listening to Two Channel you would have the best sound available for music.

One other thought: I could possibly see for someone wanting a Center Channel for use with a Jubilee System is a LaScalla's or Belle Klipsch's Bass Horn with the appropriate High Frequency Horn/Driver as a very good center channel between Jubilees if some desired to go that route but didn't want a Full Jubilee in the center location.

mike tn[:)]