SETs vs old SS � Listening experiments

pauln

"What this country needs is a really good five-watt amplifier." PWK

How many watts is the Brook 12A?

10 watts...... so much for a 5 watt amp ............ PWK used much higher wattage amps as they became available in clean low destortion models. I believe McIntosh SS was what he used toward the end of his life. He probably would of thought all us tube users were nuts PP or SET. But at his age and after all those years in the audio business I'm sure his hearing was not what it once was.

Craig

a good read,

http://www.audioimport.nl/heritage/reviewsHERITAGE/arkansasspeaker.html

Audio: Then you view the response curve as the least important of those criteria?

Klipsch: Yes. What you really buy in a loudspeaker is horsepower output. In horn loudspeakers the efficiency - the horsepower output, call it - is typically one to three orders of magnitude higher and the distortion proportionately lower than in a direct radiator. Admittedly, the direct radiator is the less expensive, "cost effective" approach, and it will never be replaced because horns are vastly more expensive to build. But if you look at it in terms of horsepower per unit Cost, then the horn suddenly becomes much more cost effective - raising the point that the total music system may cost less for a given level of performance if the speakers cost more and yet require a much smaller amplifier. This brings in my much-quoted remark that what this country needs is a good five-watt amplifier.

lol, I love all the marketing quotes...as if everything that came from Klipsch was written in stone and somehow totally infallible. Can I start quoting the mechanical advice I get from the local used car salesman too?

Are there any SET guys in the Chicagoland or central Illinois area? I'm willing to travel to hear a SET amp that blows SS away.

I would also love to have a topology shoot-out someday and cover all the hot topics: fancy wires, time-delay, tubes/SS, cd/vinyl/reel to reel, etc etc...but the crux of it all will be comparing against a live source - maybe get some fancy chick singer to come in and do some studio work.

I'd wager good money that any skilled studio engineer would be able to pick the topology that he wanted to sound the best and that all of the recorded formats would sound better than the original live sound. [:o]

Is this a trick question?

The Klipschorn, or Khorn, loudspeaker is the flagship product of Klipsch Audio Technologies. It is a patented design of founder Paul W Klipsch since 1947. The four-foot tall, three-foot wide home speaker is a three-way design: separate speaker drivers handle the bass, mid-range and high (treble) portions of the audible spectrum. These drivers are the woofer, the squawker and the tweeter.

Two rectangular horn lens coupled to a magnetic compression driver handle the mid-range and treble. In addition to the two horns above, a 15 cone woofer rests in a folded bass bin compartment below. The folds extend the low bass response of the woofer. This is known as horn-loading.

The body of the speaker cabinet forms a horn, an acoustic amplifier. The Khorn shape is like a baseball diamond: the pointy rear is open and exposed, the flat front covered with a wood panel and the top enclosed in cloth. The speaker sits in the corner of two adjoining walls, using the walls to extend the lowest bass notes.

This design results in extremely high efficiency. One watt RMS produces a 104 decibel per meter sound pressure level (SPL) on the Khorn, which is approximately 18-20 decibels higher than conventional speakers. Such efficiency requires unusually low watts of power. Concert level volumes require only a few watts. Normal volume SPLs require milliwatts. The Khorn encourages the use of low powered tube amplifiers, or quality amplifiers, where the first milliwatts have low THD. ................

Klipsch out.

l

Are there any SET guys in the Chicagoland or central Illinois area? I'm willing to travel to hear a SET amp that blows SS away.

. [:o]

If you are ever going to be in the Minneapolis area,send me an e-mail. give me a day or two notice. And I'll let you listen to some 45 Amps (Welborne DRD45) and some 2A3 amps (Welborne Moondogs). I also have a Push-Pull KT-88 Super Amp and a Solid State Van Alstine modified Hafler (250 watts per channel) amp and a Crown D150 and a Marantz 2270 and 2245. But you'll be begging me to hook the SETs back up!

Prepare to be Blown Away!

From VTV issue 13, Winter 2000

Amplifier recommendations (per the folks at VTV)

"Klipschorns are not a good match with high power amplifiers."

"Even ultra-linear push-pull amps don't have the finesse needed to keep the Klipschorns sounding sweet."

"Pentode-based tube amps can work, if they are low wattage (under 35 watts wpc) and have a relaxed non-aggressive sound. Remember, the horns will supply all the dynamics needed."

"Any good triode amp, one lung or two, will make the Klipschorns sing."

"A good 2A3 amp can be scary-good with a Klipschorn, and similar results can be had with 300B amps as well."

"...at 104dB, any flea powered amp will work."

OldBuckster: What's unfortunate, is that this thread is actually pretty tame compared to some of the discourse concerning this very topic in the past. There can and will be some real unpleasantness, but it's possible to sift through that to get to information that's valuable and constructive.

The above extractions from the Vacuum Tube Valley article simply indicate that there are other very experienced audio hobbiests and "professionals" who also strongly believe in and prefer amplifiers designed around the famous triodes -- in both single-ended and push-pull configurations. It doesn't make that 'right' or 'wrong' in a global sense; only in a personal one. In my view, it's the personal one that matters.

I'm using a very good 2A3 amplifier with even less efficient Klipsch Heresies, and the combination is marvelous.

I have an exam to write, but wanted to share some of the sentiments from the VTV piece. Lots of people love single-ended amps.

Erik

lol, I love all the marketing quotes...as if everything that came from Klipsch was written in stone and somehow totally infallible. Can I start quoting the mechanical advice I get from the local used car salesman too?

I would also love to have a topology shoot-out someday and cover all the hot topics: fancy wires, time-delay, tubes/SS, cd/vinyl/reel to reel, etc etc...but the crux of it all will be comparing against a live source - maybe get some fancy chick singer to come in and do some studio work.

I'd wager good money that any skilled studio engineer would be able to pick the topology that he wanted to sound the best and that all of the recorded formats would sound better than the original live sound. [:o]

Dr Who,

I'm 4 hrs North from you in Appleton, WI.

I feel I can represent SET very well with what I feel is a powerfull advanced SET design from the normal classical topologies if this won't trip your trigger no SET will!

I can put you up for a night with your own room to sleep in. Go out for some nice burgers and a couple of fine brews introduce you to another SET buddie of mine with LaScalas Cary 300B's that are highly musical.

SET12

Your quoted material is all from the VTV guys, not from Paul W. Klipsch. PWK wouldn't have said anything so silly.

If there is no objective reality to you, only "a personal one" of subjectivity, then one could also say that a little Bose cube speaker is superior to a Khorn. I'm glad I live in a world of reality.