SETs vs old SS � Listening experiments

pauln

Oooooh , YEA, Baby .......

be prepared for the Wind in yer hair .......[:)]

Now, Jeff ...... them's ......Texas sized horn's ........[:D]

OH MY GOD............Excuse me.....I am in the presence of GREATNESS.............I'd take my hat off to you...but...I have a funny feelin' you could BLOW MY HAT OFF with those......

CRAZED DAWGS........All of you guys......I GOTTA TAKE A BREAK.........unbelievable what I see on this forum....UNBELIEVABLE...........Would I like to hear Duke's speakers, and Coytee's........Side by Side......No Holds Barred........I have to step away......Just can't believe what equipment you guys have.....I AM TRULY HUMBLED.........a bunch of CRAZED DAWGS I TELL YA!!!!!!!!!!..........Rock ON Brother Spinner..............BYE.......

OB, it's more like this. You're listening, and it sounds real good. You turn the sub off, and you can tell.

I don't use a sub, and I'm not inclined to get one (at least not until I feel money is less important). But a sub works well. We listened to Pink Floyd through LeMay's system, which was KHorn mains, LaScala center, Heresy rears, and a sub. It was impressive - especially the helicopter.

I hear other systems with Subs,and for my tastes anyway, they have the sub so loud that you focus on the sub, mine you know it's there but not the main focus of your listening, the Heresy's, to me anyway, are very touchy with a sub, it took awhile to get it right.........the La Scala's on the other hand, I shut the sub off..........I bought the sub for the KG4's, got it set and never touched it for years.......the H2's always playing with it....today sounds good tomorrow it will sound not right.........but I guess that's not the subs fault.....that's a listener's issue.....got to get the La Scalas out of here....bad idea leaving them here...........

I agree I have a sub with my Belles and it takes a while to get the volume right. I like to be able to feel the low end a little not so much hear and vibrate the room too much. When I use my sub I cross it at 60hz and and have the volume really low. Sometimes it is such a hassel getting it set right I just turn it off. It will probably go to a HT soon.

post-15544-138193114157_thumb.jpg

CRAZED DAWGS........to hear Duke's speakers, and Coytee's........Side by Side......No Holds Barred.........

Actually, O.B. ......

that would be Verrrry interesting .....

I'm running an 18", direct radiator, w/ the back Horn Loaded....6' horn path

'an ....

I gotta big A$$ mid horn as well ....just like Coytee.....

maybe even bigger ....mine's 3' X 3'.....

whatcha got ... Poodle Boy .....???

Boy, had to step back for a minute........UNBELIEVABLE...........for all practical purposes I'm am fully aware that I am out of my league here on this forum..........I am at a loss for words...........DUKESTER you blew me away with those..........Gotta' go grab the Porsche for a little therapy...............Half of you guys are simply CRAZED.............UNBELIEVABLE

I don't think that horn was meant for home stereo. I don't know the purpose for which it was intended, but it looks awfully familiar to those speakers that they put way up at the top of poles at outdoor concerts or in big, loud work yards as intercoms - or maybe on battleships as intercoms....

they ain't no Intercom speakers, Jeffy ......[:S]

thassa JBL equivilent ...of a Jubilee

you want ...THWACK ...????

I got it , Bro ......[:)]

I don't think that horn was meant for home stereo. I don't know the purpose for which it was intended, but it looks awfully familiar to those speakers that they put way up at the top of poles at outdoor concerts or in big, loud work yards as intercoms - or maybe on battleships as intercoms....

they ain't no Intercom speakers, Jeffy ......[:S]

thassa JBL equivilent ...of a Jubilee

you want ...THWACK ...????

I got it , Bro ......[:)]

Don't misunderstand, Duke. My comparing to intercoms was not meant to be derogatory at all. You know what I'm talking about. There are some big intercom speakers that'll knock your deck off - like the ones they use to bark out orders or alerts on battleships to all hands on deck.

What I wonder is whether those horns kill the rest of your speakers.

Dr. Who, maxg, Dean, Carl ...

As expected, in different listening rooms, my Khorn bass response varies highly with the mass and rigidity of construction (and also with acoustics, of course) ... in some rooms, the unaided bass response is really quite amazing.

In our old house, with high mass double 3/4 plywood + hardwood veneer walls, over studs 8" on center, and with the Stereo Review recommended beam in the crawl space pushing up against the floor, across the joists, to prevent floor flexing, along with a couple more post and lentil systems down there, making the crawl space look like a murky Stonehenge, with the Khorns sitting directly on the floor above, with the carpet cut away in a triangle shape to accommodate them to prevent any rocking [whew, what a sentence] the bass with the Khorns alone (from listening position) was actually slightly elevated (compared to 1KHz level) at both 35Hz, and even at 31.5 Hz. Below that, it dropped like a rock. I think it was + 1 dB at 35 Hz, and about + 0.25 dB at 31.5 Hz. It was + 3, or so, at 40, and above that there were various moderate dips and peaks, with a fairly big, gently wavy, peak from about 90 to 150/175 Hz. We never had a subwoofer in that house. The difference in the bass before and after that remodel was amazing, without any in-room acoustical devices.

Our new house has normal walls and a floor that gives just slightly (but passed inspection--they are evidently allowed to be a little springy, if the're strong), and the Khorns are temporarily on the carpet, which allows some slight movement and shuddering when I really crank it up. This all will soon change, when we redo the music room, making it like the one in our former house, complete with 8" O.C. studs, rigid, high mass walls, and Stonehenge in the rather shallow crawlspace (this time, there will be no room for fat Druids or even the skinnier Stone Agers). But for now, without the firming up and massing up, the same unaided Khorns, at listening position, are much worse -- down something like 9 or 10 dB at 31.5, down about 6 dB at 35, down about 5 dB at 40, etc.

When we remodel, we'll make the response as good as possible with the Khorns alone, then add in the RSW-15 sub quite judiciously, with the Khorns still running full range.

Even now, with the somewhat floppy boundaries, adding in the RSW-15 Sub, cutting in at 40Hz, with the Khorns operating over the full range, as described in my recent post, we get acceptable response to 20 hz, but not quite as clean down there as I would like. The Khorns and the sub seem to work very synergistically, but it took days of futzing around with them. The music setting (lower sub setting than with movies) gives us very smooth response from 25 to over 100 Hz, with 20 hz down about 5 dB -- much more synergy at that level than I expected, even though the Khorns alone at 20 are very, very attenuated and dirty. With both speaker systems running, there is a very slight swaybacked dip at about 40 to 63Hz. The sub makes only a very slight contribution at 63 Hz, and much more @ 40 and below. To address maxg's point, the lowest note on the piano (fundamental of 27.5 Hz, with plenty of harmonics) sounds great, and very much itself with live vs recorded trials, with a U47 fet condenser mic, which is not spec'd below 40. We also reproduce a lot (too much) room rumble with our own recordings, professional ones and even those by the lofty Mr. Atkinson of Stereophile.

When we remodel, I predict that the rigidity, mass, attention to room modes, etc., will help the Khorns to the degree that we will turn the sub down a bit more, at least for music.

Don't misunderstand, Duke. My comparing to intercoms was not meant to be derogatory at all. You know what I'm talking about. There are some big intercom speakers that'll knock your deck off - like the ones they use to bark out orders or alerts on battleships to all hands on deck.

What I wonder is whether those horns kill the rest of your speakers.

just like the

jubilee, they are Theatre speakers

Actually, O.B. ......

that would be Verrrry interesting .....

I'm running an 18", direct radiator, w/ the back Horn Loaded....6' horn path

'an ....

I gotta big A$$ mid horn as well ....just like Coytee.....

maybe even bigger ....mine's 3' X 3'.....

whatcha got ... Poodle Boy .....???

Wellllllllll, iffen ya is asking ME, then I think all I gotta say is...

arf...

[:P]