The ruckus over the MR78

boomac

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

What is the relevance betwen the number of posts made by me and the issue at hand?

It's relevant because you lack credibility to comment on the issue. It has nothing to do with you personaly, quite the contrary, we don't even know you. As such, they don't carry any weight in this forum.

I now have five more posts than I did initially. Did my credibility increase any? If I owned Klipschorns would my credibility be greater than if I only owned Heresys? Is the 370+ posts you have the threshold number to attain credibility?

• Moderators

I now have five more posts than I did initially. Did my credibility increase any? If I owned Klipschorns would my credibility be greater than if I only owned Heresys? Is the 370+ posts you have the threshold number to attain credibility?

I don't know what you are so touchy about. You asked a simple question, what does the number of posts have to do with the issue. I gave you a simple answer, it bears on your credibility in discussing what policy should be. If the issue was a technical question and you had a well thought out answer then one post is all you would need to have credibility. If the issue was what was your opinion about a certain lp then you would not need much in the way of previous posts to have credibility. However, to venture an opinion on how things should be done on this forum, or your thoughts on ethics, as unfounded as they were, do require a significant amount of involvement to have credibility. It is not something particular to this forum, it is just a simple fact of life which I think goes without saying. Since you asked I thought I would simply tell you what the relevance was. What you own or don't own obviously makes no difference on your credibility to comment on any particular issue, however, your attitude and the nature of your questions do make a difference. Thus, in answer to your first question, I would say that you are one of the few people who have lost credibility as time has gone on and the number of posts has increased. I am sure you have run into people like that, the more they say the more distrustful they become. Why don't you try and take a different approach, tell us a little about yourself, why you are interested in audio, Klipsch, etc. I am sure something will spark the interst of several forum members and we can proceed on with some positive conversation.

Travis

Travis, You make some good points and are very persuasive. I am sure if we met over a beer we would become friends. There are, however, other points which you attempt to make that are mischaracterizations, lack a basis in fact and are merely your opinion expressed in such a manner so as to appear to be factual. I guess lawyers call that advocacy. Who knows, you may have convinced someone that a DWI lawyer (if that is your profession) is an expert in contract law or ethics. I prefer not to question your credibility in these areas as I do not want to prolong this thread. The bottom line is that what has been done is done, whether one agrees or disagrees. Anyone reading this thread one can weigh the credibility of each participant, based on whatever criteria they deem important-- whether it be number of posts, eloquence of expression (or lack thereof), actual conduct, or some other factor--and ultimately form any conclusion they may chose to reach (or no conclusion for that matter). I have other matters to attend and expect this to be my last post in connection with this matter. Happy listening to all!

Travis, You make some good points and are very persuasive. I am sure if we met over a beer we would become friends. There are, however, other points which you attempt to make that are mischaracterizations, lack a basis in fact and are merely your opinion expressed in such a manner so as to appear to be factual. I guess lawyers call that advocacy. Who knows, you may have convinced someone that a DWI lawyer (if that is your profession) is an expert in contract law or ethics. I prefer not to question your credibility in these areas as I do not want to prolong this thread. The bottom line is that what has been done is done, whether one agrees or disagrees. Anyone reading this thread one can weigh the credibility of each participant, based on whatever criteria they deem important-- whether it be number of posts, eloquence of expression (or lack thereof), actual conduct, or some other factor--and ultimately form any conclusion they may chose to reach (or no conclusion for that matter). I have other matters to attend and expect this to be my last post in connection with this matter. Happy listening to all!

Well I think the bottom line is this. There is a comraderie here amongst the regular posting members where a friendship/trust level has been built over a period of time. When Scott posted the tuner for sale it was a given that the tuner was intended for one of these members (even though he didn't advertise it as such).

A nice tuner for someone who was going to use the thing and not turn it around for a profit. Generally, when things are offered here first it is because we want our trusted friends to enjoy it (and pass it on) as we have done so ourselves. Like Scott mentioned, if he wanted top dollar he would have taken it to Agon/eBay.

It's a shame that it turned out the way it did, and might even be morally wrong (according to some), but I think the right thing was done by not selling it to Barry (nothing against you personally, Barry).

I just find it odd that you have been lurking here for years and have never joined, and then when you do it's to post in this thread. I'm sure there were many where you could have added something positive.

Mike

I just find it odd that you have been lurking here for years and have never joined, and then when you do it's to post in this thread. I'm sure there were many where you could have added something positive.

Not just odd, but absurd. The only logical conclusion: Sock Puppet. This one subject of the tuner is the only thing he has ever posted about! If I were a paranoid conspiracist, I'd think someone was setting up Barry to look bad by pretending he was Barry's sock puppet.

I agree! I have NO idea who the poster of these messages might be. I have worked this through with Scott and we are OK!! I do not have any Sock Puppet relationships andcan stand on my own two feet. It is somewhat strange but he had his/her points that they wished to express and that is thier right whether agreed with or not. This whole thread is getting somewhat overblown as the two principals have shaken hands and moved on.

I don't need any help as this was not a battle! Before Scott even knew about what was happening in the post, I had already contacted him to say that he was not obligated in any way to sell me the tuner. It was my intention to try and keep peace amongst the group (me included) by dealing directly with the person that I was dealing with (Scott). I have been made to look like the bad guy when my intent was not to do anything bad involving any relationships, agreements and/or understandings within the group. I would hope however, that in the future, if I need something for my speakers, am looking for a pair of Belles/LaScalas etc., that I would be allowed to purchase within the group.

While I would have hoped to become part of the Klipsch Forum community over time and after I have paid my dues, this situation has put me into the status of Persona Non Grata. Not a problem but a shame as I know you folks to be true audio lovers like me (how else would I have gotten into all of this), and will miss the opportunity join in future endeavors. No hard feelings and let's all just move forward and enjoy life as it is too short to worry about these trivial issues.

Take care!

Barry

• Moderators

It was my intention to try and keep peace amongst the group (me included) by dealing directly with the person that I was dealing with (Scott). I have been made to look like the bad guy when my intent was not to do anything bad involving any relationships, agreements and/or understandings within the group. I would hope however, that in the future, if I need something for my speakers, am looking for a pair of Belles/LaScalas etc., that I would be allowed to purchase within the group.

While I would have hoped to become part of the Klipsch Forum community over time and after I have paid my dues, this situation has put me into the status of Persona Non Grata. Not a problem but a shame as I know you folks to be true audio lovers like me (how else would I have gotten into all of this), and will miss the opportunity join in future endeavors. No hard feelings and let's all just move forward and enjoy life as it is too short to worry about these trivial issues.

Take care!

Barry

Barry,

To the extent that you interpreted anything I said as being directed toward you, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent at all and I hope you believe me when I say that, nor was I trying to stir the pot again. I saw that Scott, who I have had personal dealings with, was affected enough by the discourse to make a separate post. In reading his message I could sense a that he was troubled by the whole affair (not as to you) leaving a "bad taste" in everyones mouth. The sole purpose of my post was to convey to Scott that I felt bad that he felt it even necessary to have to post a further explanation to the forum.

The other reason for my post was Scotts actions were described as immoral and unethical. I do not think there is any other reasonable interpretation in that regard. I know a little bit about contract law, not much else, but I do know that a breach of contract is not unethical or immoral under American law. That is not a matter of opinion, it is just a plain legal fact, and if anyone has too much time on their hands they can read all about it going back to The Common Law by OWH. Accordingly, I wanted to express to Scott my thoughts on that in case he was in anyway swayed by that opinion.

Lastly, I wanted to point out that there was the possibility of ill will being caused by any transaction because there were just too many things that could happen after the sale of an item. My view of it was we could do the ridiculous and try and cover it with a voluminous multi-page contract or continue as we have been, based on trust. Again, this had nothing to do with you expect maybe to shed some light on any misunderstanding between you and Scott.

You hit the nail on the head, the principals worked it out, apparently to their mutual satisfaction, and that is all that matters. I interpreted what Scott said about you as nothing but honorable. Again, my post was directed to show support for Scott being called unethical and had nothing to do with you. I feel bad that you got drug back into it and that was not my intention as all.

As to you being persona non grata, I dont believe that is the case - - certainly not in my book anyway. You seem to me to be someone that is truly interested in audio. I believe that you would have a lot to offer to this forum on a lot of subjects. There are numerous folks who sell their wares on this forum and, to date, I have not seen anyone on here that was against someone making a buck. I think that you will see from the posts of those who make a living on audio that they do not use this forum as a means of advertising their items. They contribute, on a regular basis, by providing free valuable advice with no expectation of getting anything in return. As a result, they do in fact end up getting many positive referrals that do result in sales. There are too many of these individuals to name, but everyone knows who they are on here. I guess it falls in line with what someone told me about joining a well know fraternal organization, you get out of it what you put into it. I am not familiar with your experience on the sale of audio equipment and the second hand high end audio market, but it seems to me that you have a great deal of experience in this area. I think you would be an invaluable asset to this forum on a wide range of issues such as historical reliability and quality of equipment, pricing, value, etc., etc. I understand you deal in used high quality audio equipment and no one on here is going to fault someone for selling a good piece of equipment for a fair price. In fact, I know there are people on here that are looking for items all of the time. Its a good deal for you, no fees or commissions, and it is always a good deal for a buyer to have a reliable source for quality used equipment.

I for one hope that you stay on this forum and that you contribute where you can. I am not an audio expert, but I love my speakers and I love music. I have learned so much on this forum I can not even begin to tell you. I have also ended up saving a great deal of money by learning from other peoples "mistakes" which they are freely willing to discuss such as avoiding a "bad this," or a "sub-par that." I have no doubt that you would have a tremendous amount of knowledge to contribute here. I understand your possible reluctance after this experience, but to give up or stay away from here I think would be truly regrettable, a loss for us and a loss for you.

Again, if you took anything I have said as being directed toward you I am sorry and I hope I see you posting here on a regular basis. By the way, I have an MX 110 in great condition, whats it worth? (Im only half kidding).

Travis

Travis,

None of your comments were taken as directed towards me. I was just trying to distance myself from anyone who may have thought that any post made on the topic not posted by me, was not by anyone that I know personally, through the forum, or anywhere else! I can dig a hole deep enough all on my own!

Hey, the one time I offered a pair of Klipsch Shorthorns to the forum I was accused of doing so only to avoid eBay selling fees among other things! My only intent was to let those who could and would truly appreciate them have the first opportunity. It was a strange comment as I have sold over two thousand sales on eBay without worrying about the fees. When others are looking to shoot you down, they will look at anything I guess so it comes with the territory. That was the first time I had ever offered anything first to forum members because it seemed to be the right thing to do! How many times do you see a beautiful PAIR of Mahoghany Shorthorns with all manuals? Just thought it would be appreciated here more than anywhere else. The buyer ( a frequent poster and well respected member) did come from the forum as many know and seems to be happy with our transaction including the amplifier he purchased.

Appreciate your comments and happy to give any pricing based on my historical data should anyone care to ask or anything else I can contribute. I am not a tech so leave that to the others on the forum who know much more than I will ever hope to know. Summer blues are currently keeping prices down a bit as usual. Good time to buy!

I'm fairly thick skinned so none of this will last and hoping we can all put it behind us.

Speaking of McIntosh... , the MC225 that I bought from Barry has performed flawlessly in place of my normal living room amplifier, the MC240. What did I do with the 240 you ask? I gutted the old rusty chassis, painstakingly disconneting each and every transformer wire and a few others. Drilled out all the rivets and transplanted the skeleton into the gleaming reproduction I bought on ebay.

Hammering the parts back in one by one with my trusty rivet tool. More painstaking soldering and Wa La! She's a beauty ain't she?

post-15692-13819307461876_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Speaking of McIntosh... , the MC225 that I bought from Barry has performed flawlessly in place of my normal living room amplifier, the MC240. What did I do with the 240 you ask? I gutted the old rusty chassis, painstakingly disconneting each and every transformer wire and a few others. Drilled out all the rivets and transplanted the skeleton into the gleaming reproduction I bought on ebay.

Hammering the parts back in one by one with my trusty rivet tool. More painstaking soldering and Wa La! She's a beauty ain't she?

Barry,

You sold that 225 to Scott? You are one cool dude!!!!! That is beautiful, stunning.

Travis

Travis,

The picture is of the new 240 chassis Scott just installed over his old 240. The 225 I sold him was very nice but 40 years of use and it did have some minor wear.

I always wondered how installing one of the new chassis available for 240 would look and it appears that Scott has figured it out!