Cornwall Question

thewolf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klipsch has always been all about manufacturing efficiency and cost reduction.

I prefer the word " Cheap "

things like the 4 screw , make that 4 wood screws, ...woofer attachment kept me from listening to Klipsch seriously for 25 years

whassa T-Nut cost ..back then, what, a nickel ..???

Isn't Less Expensive a better term than Cheap..????

At least it's the right kind of screw. In my '03 Klipschorns the loons used machine screws in the top hat section (home plate top and baffle). At any rate, I don't really see anything wrong with four good wood screws for a K-33 going into plywood -- if it was MDF I'd be worried.

'Cheap' infers inferior quality -- I don't like to use the word unless something is really slipshod or despicable.

Dean said: "'Cheap' infers inferior quality -- I don't like to use the word unless something is really slipshod or despicable."

Yes, I have often been called "cheap". I hope that doesn't mean slipshod or dispicable.

Bob

Dag gone, you are cheap -- a 68uF is only $15.:) The only reason I can think to use one in that part of the circuit is that it might last longer.

I just saw your -8dB notation on the schematic, that's interesting. I'm surprised they even bothered changing the cap value for that. Sure don't see how they can claim a 600Hz crossover point with that 3uF cap.

Dean,

Something sort of surprising about the electrolytics that I have taken out of Klipsch crossovers. I have never tested one that actually tested bad. The oldest ones I know of are from the E2 crossovers for Heresy Is. But those things are coming up on 25 years old and all I have seen are still good. Perhaps they came up with a way to seal those things better some time back then that keeps them from drying out.

Bob

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bob,

I own a pair of CW II that I believe were made around 1985/86? Can you please confirm as I have them posted here:

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/Klipsch1.html

My problem is it appears that 1 speaker is louder than the other. The mid-range and woofer (I think) sounds about the same for both speakers but on 1 speaker, the tweeter seems to be quite a bit weak. Loss in high freq. response. I do know that lower freq bass sound is harder to identify location (if 1 speaker's woofer is actually less than the other).

I've measured the resistance at the speaker terminal posts and both have the same ohm reading. I've not been crafty enough to swap horns around and though, by the age, it could simply be the xover?

Please advise. Thanks

BQ

Well, if you are sure that both tweeters are working, but that one is lower in output than the other, it is time to swap the tweeters to see if problem follows the tweeter or stays with the speaker.  If the problem is then still in the speaker, you should start thinking about a crossover problem or a wiring problem.

From the label you posted, yours would be 1986 models.

Bob Crites

• 3 months later...

I think i've managed to fix the problem. The crossovers are fine. When I opened 1 speaker, I could not believe the mess job the previous(s) owners did. They must of used acid core solder because the wire at the terminals corroded green. This was done to all 3 drivers.

The other speaker I noticed the tweeter diaphragm measured 6.8 ohms. I have some new diaphragms which measure around 8.4 ohms. The other speaker tweeter also measured around 8.4 ohms so I replaced it with the proper one.

I suppose this is the problem when buying 2nd hand. You have NO IDEA what kind of patch / mod jobs previous owners have done.

If only speakers were as collectable as classic cars. Enthusiasts only want things original...

BQ