Cornwall Question

thewolf

THANK YOU BOB!

Just checking a few things, the .16mh choke for the tweeter

is an air core, right?

The 3507 is the same auto former that is in the old xover, right?

What should I expect as a difference is sound, I can follow schematics but I

really don't understand the electronics behind them. I am an industrial electrician

by schooling and there are not a lot of small parts in a buildings wiring

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael....It appears you have your hands full of a few CW's. Have you compared the Cornwall vs Cornwall II? Curiuos if there is much of a difference in sound.

Never had a CW II in here.

I have 63, 75, 77, 79. CW's, the 63's are the vertical types.

All of the 70's have B crossovers and all are the square magnet K33 P or E, K55V.

Klipsch at one point sent me a chart (#830829) saying that an improvement could be gained by changing to the K52K or H and the K77M with the B3 network. They stated that B2 networks should not be updated at all, and that going from B to B3 would necessitate changing to the K52 squawker.

Therefore it looks like the company postion is that unless I change squawker drivers, then to NOT upgrade crossover design.

Bob...Thanks for the comments regarding the crossovers. Is the Cornwall II slightly inferior as compared to the Cornwall? Did Klipsch reduce their focus on this version of the Cornwall and would it be considered 2nd rate again compared to the original Cornwall?

I have 4 86 CW IIs...I have heard several CW Is over the years. I think the tweeters (K79) are markedly better than the K77s...the midrange (K57) is comparable to the K55 series...the CWIIs as Bob noted are MDF cabs...more rigid. Also, and this diff is minor in the overall, the K601s are plastic vice metal horns...no gooey kid stuff required to damp them. Another small point is that the woofer and horns are all front-mounted. The CW II MDF cabs also have a front-to-back brace between the woofer and mid horn that stiffens the cabinet. The CW II backs are permanently (sp?) mounted on, so any surgery is done by removing the woofer.

When I rebuild my crossovers I'll do them all at once with those nice GE PIO caps Bob sells...but I am pretty busy with other things (yes, non-audio) so that is not a hi pri as we say.

" Another small point is that the woofer and horns are all front-mounted. "

Although a lot of folks say this does not matter, I think it results in a stronger cab, since the back can now be integrated into the rest of the cab using bracing, grooves or both.

When I play my cornwalls loud the only part of the cabinet that vibrates excessively is the back. So, maybe there's some merit to a sealed and reinforced back. Don't know.

I always thought it was just a cost reduction to have the sealed cabinet and drivers mounted from the front.

When I play my cornwalls loud the only part of the cabinet that vibrates excessively is the back. So, maybe there's some merit to a sealed and reinforced back. Don't know.

A bead of rope caulk will seal that back panel.

Michael,

If you did that to a Cornwall I, you might want to think about how to get a driver out if you ever needed to do that.

Bob

Good one Bob, I think we were just discussing the sturctural integrity of the two cabinet designs. It would be pretty foolish to nail that sucker on, wouldn't it? [;)]

M