LaScalas with Academy center...

chuckears

I have been happily running a Forte-Academy front soundstage for a couple of years now; I have had the fully-horn loaded bug for some time now, and have a look--out for a used pair of LaScalas.

My concern is their compatibility with the rest of my HT system... the Academy is close enough to the voicing and materials of my Fortes to be a terrific match, but I'm not so sure about how the LaScala-Academy match would be, given the big midrange horn of the LaScala.

Anyone with experience and opinions about this combination?

sweet, I was\am using a KLFC7 with my vintage Khorns upfront(not what you hear about timber matching), but now with my LaScala's and Hersey II's for rears, and sounds great, the Academy is a nice piece...[;)]

Sub is Velodyne, the beast of choice...

Several comments and all seem to be positive.

I had 3 Academy's along with LaScalas. One was my center and the other two were my "front effects" sitting about 6 1/2' off the floor directly above the LaScalas. (Yamaha 7 ch system)

I had no issues with the voicing of it, but I DO remember having to crank up the center to try to bring it inline with the LaScalas.

I didn't much care for the disparity in efficiency.

I have a couple of comments and tips.

First, your room size will have a large bearing on if it will work of not. If you are close to your center, and you don't work it too hard, it will sound more desirable.

Second, it really depends on what movie you are watching. If it is a movie with a lot of dialog, voices will sound good out of an Academy. If you are watching a concert film that is heavy on the center it will not sound good. What you can do in that situation is tell your processor to turn off he center and let your LAS mains take over. A lot of times you are at the mercy of whomever did the audio mixdown on the DVD. Some sound good, others are only OK.

Now for the disclaimer....What you will loose out on is the completely transperant center, the effect you get in a ballance HT where you don't hear any of your speakers. Sound just apears and naturally moves as if it were in the room with you. You can only get than if your speakers are voiced the same, and have a center that can efficently go down to 80hz. With a Academy it will not happen. You may get it close, but you will always somewhat hear the Academy since its voice is different.

You may be happy with it, or you may not??? Give it a shot. At least you have a speaker in demand and you can use it to finance other HT purchases[:)]

JM

The Academy is a FINE center for many applications, most notable where Forte and Quartet are concerned; this has been discussed many times. I did not know the shortcomings of the Academy until I swapped it with another Forte (between my Forte L&R speakers), and the resultant bass was astonishing. The Academy IS great, but lacks some of the deep, necessary bass to be a thorough speaker.

Chris

Has anyone tried a DIY, crazy-a@@ center

channel by placing the top section (midrange and tweeter) of the

K-Horn or LaScala between a couple of homemade woofer boxes?

I have this picture in my head, but I do not possess the necessary skills to execute the idea...

I've

not built one, but I've designed one using a pair of 12" Eminence Delta

Pro drivers. I haven't worked out the crossover details, but it should

be a simple modification. If you want to build one I would be more than

happy to help. Or if you prefer, I could probably arrange to have one

built and ship it your way. I would very much like to verify the design after completion.

I also believe Malotky has done something similiar using a pair of heresies...

Chuckears:

You come up with a basic sketch, I can build something for you. I am back working at a cabinet shop again, and can get pretty creative with the CNC machine. I have already successfully built Cornwall cabs for myself, and Cornscala cabs for Bob Crites that were populated at the Hope gathering in June. They turned out great!

Chris

Thanks for the help and offers, guys... right now it is all just in the "thinking it through" stage, as I do not currently own the LaScala mains.

I constantly have an upgrade path in my mind, and seem to always be thinking about how to improve what I've got.

It's a sickness that I'm afraid only abject poverty will cure...

Has anyone tried a DIY, crazy-a@@ center channel by placing the top section (midrange and tweeter) of the K-Horn or LaScala between a couple of homemade woofer boxes?

I have this picture in my head, but I do not possess the necessary skills to execute the idea...

J Malotky has a LS top section hung/embedded in the ceiling and a double Heresy bottom section below the screen. It is VERY effective and keeps up with his Khorn mains very seamlessly. One of the nicer installations I've seen.

Has anyone tried a DIY, crazy-a@@ center channel by placing the top section (midrange and tweeter) of the K-Horn or LaScala between a couple of homemade woofer boxes?

J Malotky has a LS top section hung/embedded in the ceiling and a double Heresy bottom section below the screen. It is VERY effective and keeps up with his Khorn mains very seamlessly. One of the nicer installations I've seen.

Chuckears

I have pics of my custom center in the photo section of the forum if you want to see them. Basically it is a K77 and K400 over the screen and a pair of K22 in Heresy cabinets under the screen. It is a little punchy in the upper bass, but not too bad. It keeps up with the Khorns nicely. As you can see in the pics, it allowed me to go with a huge screen in my HT[:)]

JM

JM,

Nice room you've made for yourself... the 120" screen is another future dream of mine.

Are you using a custom crossover for your center speaker array?

Also, did you find it necessary to dampen or insulate the inside of the two Heresy boxes at all, given the extra open space due to the mid and tweeters being vacant?

I think my own thoughts are of a more specialized pair of boxes sporting 15" woofers; again, currently only in dreams...

I am using the ALK "A" model crossover. I was expecting to have to mod it a bit for the woofer section, but found it worked great stock from Al. I did boost my midrange taps a few db hotter than my Khorns are running.

I did put some insulation in both Heresy boxes. A single bat of standard household wall insulation across the back of the cabinet.

They do work well and I am very happy with my center channel[:)]

JM

Ummm. Yeah I have built a custom center that sits between my La Scals's. Did not have room for another La Scala so I went the DIY way. However its BIG Bad and most impressive it is only 15"h. But then its also almost 4' wide and another 15" or so deep. Sound wise...freakin awesome

Go for it! you will have fun building one.

scooter

post-8797-13819307573676_thumb.jpg