Altec Lansing A7 rebirth

seti

"You .....P,rick, CJ

I just calmed down."

heh, heh, heh......guilty as charged.

Just could not resist.......[:D]

Enjoyed all of your comments in that thread.

Carl.

P.S. When I get home from work today, I'll be experiencing great dynamics with five large horns (including two Altecs) in my man cave - at louder than is suitable for brandy sipping.

No SET will be employed.

Umm.... I will now wait for the "hearing loss" comments.........

Carl,

........I will now wait for the "hearing loss" comments.........

I am with you bro. I am 56yo. What am I saving my hearing for? The music that I might listen to when I am 80? I don't think so. Better to enjoy and burn out, than fade away IMHO.

Tonight, as with most weekend nights, I will light-up the sweet-spot with SPL's exceeding 110db peaks. (more if I get crazy) 120db+ creates large diaphram excursions and has been known to lanch the K33. (as per BEC)[:D]

The 511b/902 mids(crossed at +/- 450hz with custom JWC filters) atop heavily braced CW bins will be on the prowl tonight. (the beast only comes out at night) Considering the average load presented to the amps, they should be powered by, (again +/- )1,300wpc of warm tube-like SS power.

I appreciate and love the sound of SET & PP amps in their place, driving the upper range. The BDL's did produce some nice LF into a 107db bass-reflex speaker that I heard in Hope.[;)]

Regards,

Terry

Wow! I just discovered this thread, and as I sit here in stunned amazement, I must completely agree with Kev...

Who is Brian Lam? But then, I guess the further away he is, the better! I think I can honestly say that that review may be the most asinine review I have read in audio, even giving some of the marketing nonsense from Audio Advisor a run for the money (light insulated and water insulated cables included!).

By the way, if anyone runs into any extra "fan shaped things", PLEASE give me a holler! I sure wish more would call me as too many places have pulled out their "old" Altec systems to install some new fangled trendy system over the past 15-20 years![:(]

Before I got my LaScalas for home use, the A7 was THE speaker I lusted over! The nice thing is that they are easily constructed, but they are big (especially with the wings!). When I was younger I carried far too many of them up far too many auditorium staircases where they lacked a loadout! A7s and huge W boxes, whoopee!

The 511b/902 mids (crossed at +/- 450hz with custom JWC filters)

Those networks are ALKJr's with the tweeter filter of the original ALK.

Deano, I am not well versed in the ALKJr's, so pardon my ignorance. These networks use a 1.5mhy inductor. It seems to take some of the CW bin bloom away and tighten up the bass alot. They also allow the 902 to run on up.

Sound like the same thing?

Will send a photo.

You have email.

tc

The 511b/902 mids (crossed at +/- 450hz with custom JWC filters)

Those networks are ALKJr's with the tweeter filter of the original ALK.

Dean. That's not right. Those things I made for Terry are a bastard network I came up with after dorking around on my Cornscalas (not dbb) for several months with a several different networks. I sent him something to test for me and he could keep it if he thought it was an improvement over what he had. The big experiment for me was the Woofer filter because I needed another opinion on "what works". My judgement of what is good bass I think is different that others on this forum and I wanted Terry's opinion. I sent along with that network a swap out inductor for the low pass if he wanted to prove the difference to himself.

First of all, there is no constant impedance. So that there takes far away from the ALK or the Jr. Also the bandpass is different. The band pass is a 0.4mHy inductor BEHIND the T2A.

The woofer filter is just first order like the ALK or Jr or PWK or DHA or whatever. I went through all kinds of inductor values In my ROOM with RTA and found the 1.5mHy with a "snappier" bass that seemed to me to help out those pre 1985 K33's . Yes this is "similar" to what was in the newer ALK (not jr).

The tweeter filter is none other than a 3rd order tweeter filter like the ALK based on an 8 ohm tweeter. Now yes this part is the same as the ALK but just what anyone would get plugging in 3rd order 6000Hz for an 8 ohm tweeter on an online crossover calculator.

The mid cap is just a theta 7uF. No different than what others are doing for their PWK type B crossovers to cross "about at 400Hz". I think it is actually lower.

Terry's Goal....stretch out that range for the 902 to shine and keep it three way. I could have rolled it off later such as 9000Hz but I didn't have the time to try this out on my own 902B/511 combo before he and I hit the Hope trip.

Dean, I promise, I would never sell someone a network that is an ALK or an ALK jr. unless I was using one for personal use and just sold it later for an upgrade.

Now on the flipside, yes my networks I made for my dbb's are VERY similar to your ALK jr's just as I explained on the phone with you recently. I had those speakers at Hope and a few inquired about those networks of mine and I described them just as I said above. "Very" similar to the ALK jr. And yes they sound great.....I was dissapointed when you weren't at hope so that you could hear them.....again I had a small gift for you....remember. My clever wife ...Wendy....made a ton of these pocket sized laminated cards that have the tap settings for the 3619 and 3636 autoformers. You may already be doing this and putting them in your customers packages. I found it to be a big pain to pull out some filed 8 1/2 x 11 paper everytime I wanted to make a change. Now I just keep in my front pocket. Now that makes for a true bonified crossover nerd!

Sorry for the temporary Hijack

I too would be curious what an all out A7 setup sounds like and wonder what exactly can be done to that port to get those things as low as they are now published to go.

jc

Terry, Feel free to post a pic of that network here. I don't mind. That network was about the 902 and making the most of it. Why not on this thread.....902/511 still in the A7.

jc

JC,

I emailed a photo to you. Please post it if you would. I can't seem to attach to the BBS.

tc

PS: No, you shouldn't mind.[:D] I just love the layout on the board! Nice and tight.