Movies that come over the best in Home Theater

garyrc

I'd say anything Star Wars or LOTR....but also

King Kong

Black Hawk Down

The Lion King

I use these all as refrence points of diffrent things but they are all excellent DVD transfers imo. I watched Munich last night, im still uncertain as to its political underbelly but the video and audio quality were top notch.

my region 2 of Underworld has 4 audio tracks:

English 5.1 ex

English dts es - full bitrate

Japanese 5.1

Commentary

Here is a link for you:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/pid-1003925101/

It is a bit pricey, for being a Japanese dvd, but it is worth it. :)

This is the director's cut as well

So is it going to be a matter of time for this to be released in the US? What's the deal? Thanks for the link.

HEAT is an excellent movie for sound with Klipsch speakers. The low level sound detail is impressive.

DeNiro and Pacino do a good job with an excellent script. This is a reference movie.

Bill

Robert DeNiro, and Al Pacino........throw in Robert Duvall.......and that's the Greatest threesome ever to grace the screen..............Just my opinion........although........I really like Denzel Washington, and Morgan Freeman.........Wonderful Actors ALL..............

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, My first posting here. Can';t belive I did not find this forum earlier. Having been a Klipsch fan for some time now. Here is a list of my six favorite home theater movies.

X-Men 2. The DTS in the beggining of the movie at the white house is AMAZING!

Jurrasic Park. I have the DTS version of this movie on DVD the T-Rex scene is Fantastic.

Master & Commander. The openeing scene with the canon balls in DTS!

U-571. Depth Charges really rocked my SW-12

Lawrence Of Arabia (Superbit) DTS Musical score is truley unmatched

Saving Private Ryan. Omaha Beach in DTS. Need I say more?.

I have also heard of a great DTS-ES Dvd version of The Haunting that is suppose to have a Sub rocking soundtrack on it. I never cared for the film, but would love to pick it up based on this claim for audio.

Also, practically every Black and White film I've seen

on DVD fails to capture the full scale, gorgeous B & W of the

originals, which sometimes had the clarity, rich blacks, and infinite

shades up to brilliant white that one sees in the museum prints Ansel

Adams made.

so very very true, coming from a black and white photographer's

perspective, the contrast is very frequently too much mid-tones for my

tastes also.

Perhaps they were transferred to look okay on all sets, even

those without high contrast, kind of a video compression of sorts?

I'll toss a few more into the hat.

Toy Story 2 - Re-Edit w/DTS soundtrack (Opening scene is stunning visually and audibly)

Pirates of the Carribean (Curse of the Black Pearl) DTS-ES Soundtrack

The Mummy

Terminator's 2 and 3 (The opening skull crushing scene in 2 will make you jump out of your seat if you have a good system)

Try the movie shorts on The Incredible's disc "Jack-Jack Attack" and "Boundin" these will test your picture quality and sound.

The Polar Express (The train sounded and felt so real it had me diving for the volume knob)

Forrest Gump (The Vietnam fight scene when the tracers and bullets are literally whizzing over your head)

Jurassic Park 1 and 3, the DTS versions are stellar.

James Bond - Die Another Day

Fifth Element - Superbit w/DTS

Spiderman 2 - Superbit w/DTS

There are a number of gems out there, these are but a few.

Oh, I forgot to mention Fantasia 2000, when, and only when, played in DTS. Although the sequences vary in quality, and are not, in general, as good as those in the original Fantasia of 1940, there are some very impressive ones, with the animation and music fusing well, and the orchestra recorded wonderfully all except for the first selection (the Beethoven), in which there is some compression. If the final selection, Stravinsky's Firebird, is played at high SPL, and in DTS, there is one moment in which audience members will jump out of their skins -- I don't recommend it for those with heart conditions.

By the way, those interested in the history of movie audio might want to check an article in Scientific American (Peck, 1940) on the sound for the original 1940 Fantasia, which was the first time large numbers of people heard stereo (in a few theaters; New York, San Francisco, LA, etc.) An old sound recording teacher of mine helped set it up in San Francisco, and said that in that city, there were 96 different sound locations in the theater, fed from three discrete tracks, and manipulated -- I never was clear on whether the manipulation was automated (knowing Disney, it probably was) or handled by live mixers in the theater. My teacher said the effect was hypnotic. There was always at least some subtle outrigger ambiance from the side, which made the orchestra sound spacious, and sometimes the outrigger speakers were used creatively. And some people think "surround sound" came in with Dolby (1970s), or Cinerama (1952)!! Leopold Stokowski had been part of the landmark stereo recordings at Bell Labs, and introduced stereo to Disney, who decided to allow it to move around the screen to follow the animation at certain moments. A few times, part of the music left the screen. At one moment a goddess (Artimis?) bends the crescent moon like a bow and shoots a gleaming arrow up toward the right top of the screen, and music follows the starry arrow to the edge of the screen and beyond, passing across the proscenium arch, when CUT, the audience is now traveling with the arrow, which we now see in a medium close shot as comet-like, with stardust or glowing ice streaming off of it, as the orchestral sound whooshes past both our ears. Old Uncle Walt called that kind of stereo Fantasound. My old teacher said that the original Fantasound protocols had been lost, but I hope they have found them by now. I haven't bought that DVD yet, to find out.