Heresy compared to Cornwall

dtximages

The other night we set up my Klipsch KG 3.5s (8 inch woofer 2 way) in tandom with my Heresys (originals).

The sound of the KG 3.5s was clearly more desirable on almost every level. They sounded bigger, smoother etc. Same amp, same volume. Switching back and forth the Heresy sounded muffled yet harsh with, of course, no low end.

Now I understand the differences in these speakers but when you compare them with my Cornwalls, the Cornwall is also smoother and less harsh.

Does anyone think that the Heresy doenst sound good? How "amp sensitive" are they?

I can only speak for myself...............I got new H2's in March......didn't like them at first......thought I made a mistake.........Well, it's now August, and after month's of on stands, off stands, move here, move there, No sub, with sub, turn sub up, turn sub down, put them closer together, move them apart..........................I've finally got 'em where they sound great............NOT a mistake........BIG sound from a small enclosure......Very Happy... Understand they are not Cornwalls, or La Scalas, or Khorns, nor are they Fortes, or any other speaker.............I have no negative input towards Heresy's.......for the size and price What's Better?............I'm talking BRAND NEW not Used.......Well maybe they lack in Bass, but that's for the listener to decide.................

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think if your kg 3.5s sounded better than your Heresys...your Heresys need some help (can you say crossover refreshening???)...it could just be that you prefer the 2 way to the 3 way sound experience...I feel just the opposite, preferring my Heresys to even the much loved Reference RB-5s...great speakers all but I find I prefer the 3 way, Heritage sound best...just my .02.

Bill

The first pair of Klipsch speakers I owned were a pair of Kg3.5's that I picked up off ubid.com for around 80 bucks apiece. To tell you the truth I thought that they sounded thin, cheap and harsh. I never liked them and got rid of them within a couple of months. Luckily it didn't stop my search for audio nervana within the klipsch family. I currently own 1973 heresies and they in no way compare to the kg 3.5's . Just my personal opinion, but I thought the 3.5's stunk. Heresies vs cornwalls? I now own both and there is no comparison. But you can't go wrong with a properly setup pair of heresies. For their size they really sound pretty darn good. The corns just multiply that great sound....

Never heard a set of Klipsch Heresys, per se, I built a set and like them very much. Although I didn't initially care for the bottom end, hence the 12 passive radiator in the rear. But I have heard Cornwalls and they are very, very nice speakers. Eventually I'll take the Homemade Heresys to Cleveland and audition them beside my cousin's Cornwalls. Then I'll be able to give you a more accurate appraisal of them the two compared side by side.

I must also add that the KG-5.5s that I've got are quite an impressive speaker. Especially since I only gave 107.50 for them. But they have more bottom end drive than the Heresys and have a very smooth transition from the woofers to the mid/tweeter.

With that said, can't say that I've ever heard a Klipsch speaker that I didn't like [:D]

Never heard a set of Klipsch Heresys, per se, I built a set and like them very much. Although I didn't initially care for the bottom end, hence the 12 passive radiator in the rear. But I have heard Cornwalls and they are very, very nice speakers. Eventually I'll take the Homemade Heresys to Cleveland and audition them beside my cousin's Cornwalls. Then I'll be able to give you a more accurate appraisal of them the two compared side by side.

I must also add that the KG-5.5s that I've got are quite an impressive speaker. Especially since I only gave 107.50 for them. But they have more bottom end drive than the Heresys and have a very smooth transition from the woofers to the mid/tweeter.

With that said, can't say that I've ever heard a Klipsch speaker that I didn't like [:D]

This is a question.........How can you compare your homemade Heresy's to a Cornwall, not trying to be a wise guy here, they are not HERSEY's.............they are at best clones....Not a passive radiator system................I guess you can compare speaker to speaker, but you can't say it's a Heresy vs. Cornwall to be fair........

• 4 weeks later...

Ok ok ok, i understand that good sound is an opinion etc etc. I have been listening to klipsch for years now and actually think the KG 3.5 has some pretty full and decent sound for its size and price. But these Heresys were aweful! We were throwing a party and even the very prideful owner of the Heresys asked what was wrong with them.

I mean are they that room sensitive? Could they be bad because theyre so old (they appear quite old from teh old screw style connectors)? Heck i dont know, ive just always heard great things about the heresy. maybe i just shouldnt listen to them side by side but thats what ive always liked about klipsch is that no matter what you compare them to, they always make me smile and say "hey now thats really good"

If they are vintage Heresy and haven't had the caps refreshed in the crossovers, you probably are getting some poor sound.

In a Hope gathering (Sep 05) we had two pair of vintage Heresy's side by side. One had refreshed crossovers, restored to factory spec, and and another pair as original. The difference was startling.

Also, someone brought a pair of vintage Cornwalls and after the group listened, Michael Crites put a fresh pair of crossovers in the Cornwalls and the difference was also clearly identifiable.

That was me with those vintage Cornwalls in Hope '05. In fact, you can still see the old crossovers undergoing Crite's sniff test in his avatar.

I remembered that Dee's Heresys had an overall sound that made my vintage 1976 Cornwalls sound lifeless and dull, then Crites put in his rebuilt 'Type B' replacements. WOW!!!!!

Yes, the difference was that noticable. Best upgrade $$'s spent were on crossovers. (the Crites rebuild for the Cornwalls and the ALK for the khorn).

Woo

I would agree with Woodog on refreshing crossovers as a bang for the buck winner on vintage Heritage speakers.

In fact, I don't think I've seen any single tweak or upgrade beat this simple restoration on the crossovers bring such an improvement in the performance, considering the cost.

I understand the two are not comparable. but they use pretty much the same components for the mid and tweeter. also, i have heard many different klipsch speakers, old and new and never heard and old one that sounded "bad". I guess, in response, to some posts above that an old crossover really can sound worse.

can they deteriorate in sound? also heres my real question

HOW MUCH MONEY TO MAKE THEM SOUND GOOD?

The Heresy is a sealed box, acoustic suspension I think they call it........Cornwall is a vented box, Bass Reflex I think they call it........Big Difference..........

There are several Gentlemen on this forum that do that work, I'm sure they will jump in here sooner or later.........Can't comment on price, I don't know, and don't pertend to know, BEC is one that does it...there are a couple more....all good I'm sure ,Deang I think does it, ALK does too, I think...............Maybe I should get the crossovers in my KG'4s done....that's for later........

If they are vintage Heresy and haven't had the caps refreshed in the crossovers, you probably are getting some poor sound.

In a Hope gathering (Sep 05) we had two pair of vintage Heresy's side by side. One had refreshed crossovers, restored to factory spec, and and another pair as original. The difference was startling.

Also, someone brought a pair of vintage Cornwalls and after the group listened, Michael Crites put a fresh pair of crossovers in the Cornwalls and the difference was also clearly identifiable.

Sorry to barge in on the thread... As I wrote in another thread, the XO in my single Heresy II is mounted on the backside of the back connector cap, has unidentified blue capacitors in it, and I don't have any idea what value they have in order to replace them (which i would be happy to try, since they are mid-1980's vintage). I also hear of a crossover mod to better match the big boys (La Scala and Klipschorn) which I'd love to have in there.

Does anybody sell these modded Heresy crossovers? Or is it a DIY job?

Thanks!

Wow, thanks Bob!

(Edit: So 3x Auricap 1.5 uF at $12 each and 1x Solen 68 uF at $14.35? And it's time for the annual sale at PartsConnexion.com too.)

I presume you're not behind the crossover mod to use the Heresy alongside Klipschorns, huh? Otherwise you would have mentionned that. I'd buy the above caps, but I'm curious about the mod too.

Refreshing the crossovers is inexpensive, as mod type things go, IMO. It's actually not technically a mod, if restoring to factory spec. I'm big on restoring to factory spec to experience that as a baseline for the sound. Then tweak away if one wants to after that.

It certainly can be done as a diy project or to hire it done. Bob Crites, above, offers the most economically priced option. That is to restore to factory spec. He can provide parts and labor on his bench or if desired, I've known him to ship parts alone to support a diy project.

You should shoot him an e-mail or PM to get a quote. If you send him the crossovers, he can turn them around pretty promptly.

Wow, thanks Bob!

(Edit:  So 3x Auricap 1.5 uF at $12 each and 1x Solen 68 uF at $14.35?  And it's time for the annual sale at PartsConnexion.com too.)

I presume you're not behind the crossover mod to use the Heresy alongside Klipschorns, huh?  Otherwise you would have mentionned that.  I'd buy the above caps, but I'm curious about the mod too.

Don't use that huge Solen for the 68 uF. No place to put a cap that big and no reason to use anything expensive there. Just put in a nonpolorized electrolytic for that cap. Should cost about a dollar. If you really want to do something good, get all the components off that cheap plastic input terminal cup. Build the crossover on a board and install it in the bottom of the cabinet. Use a nice terminal strip on your newly built crossover and run an input wire from it to the old terminal cup.

It could look like this when you finish.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819310729584_thumb.jpg

I bought my Heresy II's brand new last year. They took ages to run in. I tried driving them with anaemic amps, but once I fed them a little power, they took off. I must say I am now very impressed with these speakers. In fact I am so impressed they have been retained in my system to serve as surround speakers to my Martin Logan Summits - the Heresys are THAT good.