DIY Khorn Project Complete (pics of process) part 2

HarleyMo

And finally the finished product.

For the last several nights I have been going through my entire music collection. Everything that I have read about the Khorn is true. Crap recordings are almost unlistenable, and good recordings sound Fantastic. The word the always runs through my head is realism. Like sitting in the room with the musicians. But isnt that what we all strive for. The most realistic reproduction as possible. My favorate so far is Dianna Kraull Live in Paris, and that isnt really my most favorate style of music. My floyd sounds real good also (wall, dsotm, wish you were here, animals). The room I have them in now (upstairs family room) isnt the best room for them, its a bit narrow 15', but it is open with high ceilings so the sound does sound "big" which I like. My next project is building my listening/ht room in the basement, this is where these babies will ultimately live. Thanks again to the forum members for all their help. Questions welcome. Feel free to pm or email.

post-12909-13819307982126_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking set of speakers you have there. Am thinking of building a set for my self. Bought the speakerlab plans and have yet to finish acquiring all the parts. How would you rate the level of difficulty of the bass bins on a scale of 1 to 10? What type of plans did you use?

Hope they sound as good as they look[H]

I used the speakerlab plans as the main construction plans, and then used another set of plans to alter the speakerlab plans to have them look like the klipschorn. Again, BigdnFay was a huge help, hes a great guy. If you look at the speakerlab plans there are obvious differences in the top and bottom parts of the bass bin and also the support for the tailboard. I wanted mine to look like a klipschorn. So pieces were used from both plans. I can email you the other plan with the notes on them as to what to replace on the speakerlab plans. I think the most important part of the process is planning. I built these things I dont know how many times in my mind before even starting. Staring at the plans over and over, compairing measurements, making my own cut sheet diagrams with all the pieces. I even built them in a 3d modeler first to check the dimensions. By the time I started building I almost knew all the dimensions by heart. Obsession ? maybe, but it made the build go much smoother. Difficultly level, its hard to give it a number. Like I said, the saw I used made ALL the difference. All the cuts came out true, straight and accurate. I dont think I could have accomplished that on my table saw. Truthfully, the oiling and getting the finish right was a bigger job and took longer then the bass bin work. I cant even imagine the hassle I would have had if I tried to veneer them like others have done, my hat is off to those guys.

Thanks again for all the compliments

Harley

• 2 weeks later...