Rush

DrWho

So I've long been a fan of Rush without ever hearing any of their albums and only ever hearing Neil Peart drum solos (ya, I think that's wierd too). So the other day I finally got around to purchasing an album to get my feet wet and get some good listening time in. Thanks to a recommendation from Colter, I ended up with this album:

album27.jpg

The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits (1974-1987)

Released: February 2003

1. 7:09 Working man

2. 3:21 Fly By Night

3. 6:44 2112 Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx

4. 2:52 Closer To The Heart

5. 4:42 The Trees

6. 4:46 The Spirit Of Radio

7. 5:21 Freewill

8. 5:19 Limelight

9. 4:32 Tom Sawyer

10. 6:08 Red Barchetta

11. 3:42 New World Man

12. 5:33 Subdivisions

13. 4:57 Distant Early Warning

14. 5:34 The Big Money

15. 4:31 Force Ten

16. 5:09 Time Stand Still

So ya, dunno what to say. The band is obviously talented and holy crap I love the drumming, but overall the album itself doesn't lend itself to playing straight through. It's just all over the place making it a bit hard to listen to. I enjoy the music, but nothing stands out and strikes me as something awesome that I'd want to share. Would it be blasphemy to consider this middle of the road rock? [:o] Maybe I'll have to give some other songs a listen sometime. I think many would consider this album just a tad over-compressed and over-processed, but I don't think it'd sound right without it (I try not to complain if I can't think of a better way to do it) - perhaps it's the bloody click tracks they're playing to?

Anyways, I try not to get technical in my writeups, but that's all that's left when there's no soul to the music. They need to get themselves a black gospel song writer [;)]

I think I'll give this album another try in the future...I usually go by a strict rule to sit down and listen dedicated to the album the first time through (even if I don't like a song). But I rarely have free time these days (at decent hours) so made the compromise to crank some tunes while doing dishes (by hand). Even Dark Side of the Moon sounded annoying so obviously my setup is crap or I wasn't in the right mood for listening.

Speaking of which...I'm still not done with those dishes [6]

Were you really a roadie for Peart? That would have been quite the experience - I totally am in love with his drumming.

I think I'll give this album another try in the future...I usually go by a strict rule to sit down and listen dedicated to the album the first time through (even if I don't like a song). But I rarely have free time these days (at decent hours) so made the compromise to crank some tunes while doing dishes (by hand). Even Dark Side of the Moon sounded annoying so obviously my setup is crap or I wasn't in the right mood for listening.

Speaking of which...I'm still not done with those dishes [6]

Were you really a roadie for Peart? That would have been quite the experience - I totally am in love with his drumming.

doc,

of course i was his roadie. i also wrote tom sawyer for them........JUST KIDDING!!

what kind of speakers do you have, doc?

berryboy roy

Dr. Who, I am not a Rush fan, they are good, I'm just not a big fan. I find their music to complex from time to time, Geddy Lee is a good Bassist,but his voice gets a little whiney for my taste, Neil Peart, what can I say, Great Drummer,considered to be one of the world's best, and the Guitarist, good player, fits well with band. Give that greatest hits package another chance or two, sometimes another listen will sound better. They are very popular, sold millions of albums,sell out concerts worldwide, so they must have some merit with such a huge fan base,30+ years they've been together, they must be good, or maybe, you just don't like them...........Listen again.......Give 'em another chance.....

Yeah try out 2112. Matter of fact I need to buy it. I had it on cassette. Don't know what happened to it. There are some darn good tunes on that greatests hit there though. But maybe it was the flow. I think you will realy dig 2112. Makes me want to hear "The Twighlight Zone" right now just talking about it. I believe it celebrates it's 30 year anniversery this year. I just googled it that's how I knew. [:D]

So I've long been a fan of Rush without ever hearing any of their albums and only ever hearing Neil Peart drum solos (ya, I think that's wierd too). So the other day I finally got around to purchasing an album to get my feet wet and get some good listening time in. Thanks to a recommendation from Colter, I ended up with this album:

album27.jpg

The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits (1974-1987)

Released: February 2003

7:09 Working man

3:21 Fly By Night

6:44 2112 Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx

2:52 Closer To The Heart

4:42 The Trees

4:46 The Spirit Of Radio

5:21 Freewill

5:19 Limelight

4:32 Tom Sawyer

6:08 Red Barchetta

3:42 New World Man

5:33 Subdivisions

4:57 Distant Early Warning

5:34 The Big Money

4:31 Force Ten

5:09 Time Stand Still

So ya, dunno what to say. The band is obviously talented and holy crap I love the drumming, but overall the album itself doesn't lend itself to playing straight through. It's just all over the place making it a bit hard to listen to. I enjoy the music, but nothing stands out and strikes me as something awesome that I'd want to share. Would it be blasphemy to consider this middle of the road rock? [:o] Maybe I'll have to give some other songs a listen sometime. I think many would consider this album just a tad over-compressed and over-processed, but I don't think it'd sound right without it (I try not to complain if I can't think of a better way to do it) - perhaps it's the bloody click tracks they're playing to?

Anyways, I try not to get technical in my writeups, but that's all that's left when there's no soul to the music. They need to get themselves a black gospel song writer [;)]

get yourself a glo-worm and listen in this order

1,4,5,6,9, and then whatever.

"They are very popular, sold millions of albums,sell out concerts

worldwide, so they must have some merit with such a huge fan base,30+

years they've been together, they must be good"

That reasoning doesn't really make sense to me. Michael Bolton is very

popular. He has sold millions. He has sold out concerts worldwide. This

does not make him "good". The same criteria could apply to Kenny G,

Yanni and all sorts of others.

"They are very popular, sold millions of albums,sell out concerts worldwide, so they must have some merit with such a huge fan base,30+ years they've been together, they must be good"

That reasoning doesn't really make sense to me. Michael Bolton is very popular. He has sold millions. He has sold out concerts worldwide. This does not make him "good". The same criteria could apply to Kenny G, Yanni and all sorts of others.

You don't last 30 years in the world of Rock if you suck..........Kiss has been around longer than Rush, I think they Suck big time, but more people think I'm wrong.......Rush seems to have a big following on this forum.......Your right about Micheal Bolton, and Kenny G, and Yanni, sell many albums, sell out concerts, many think they're good, I DO NOT, but they continue to sell, sell, sell................GOOD or BAD.......it's all opinion.....Tell a Rush fan they suck, see what happens................they're not for everyone......

I have seen them 3 times live and Neil is one of the best (if not the best) rock drummer of all time. When you see them live you can't take your eyes off him and that's the truth! He is the show!

Having said that, Moving Pictures and Exit Stage Left were the last albums I ever bought of theirs as I didn't care for the direction they were going in.

In order:

A Farewell to Kings
Permanent Waves
Hemispheres
Moving Pictures

Five of the best albums recorded back-to-back you will ever hear imo.

Hard to believe Xanadu (A Farewell to Kings) isn't on that greatest hits album, but then again I don't think they released it as a single. Best song they ever did imho.

Mike