jcmjrt

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Bay Area Tube meeting this past weekend. I took along my "new" Garrard 401 and phono amp as part of the presentation this weekend. Another guy brought his 45 SET. The speakers were Klipsch Chorus II (which are similar to Cornwalls). I couldn't believe how great that combination sounded! I was very happy with my TT/amp with a couple of other amps that were there (including some nice Quad IIs) but when it was combined with the 45 amp, it just seemed to reach the next level. This was in an auditorium and the music was plenty loud for good listening. We played a variety of music from classical, to jazz, to blues, to R&B and it all sounded great.

Anyway, I've ordered Wellborne's tube rectified 45 kit with upgraded caddock resistors, silver wire and TJ Mesh 45s. I'm hoping that I can find that "magic" again at home. When I've got it completed, I'll get back to you all and let you know what I think about the combo with the Cornwalls at home.

• 2 months later...

I just got the DRD 45's finished and hooked up yesterday. I'm using a Hagerman Clarinet preamp with the DRD45s fed into the Cornwalls.  The Cornwalls have Al Klappenberger designed XO's and plasticlay damping on the woofer basket and horns. I don't have any way to measure dbs but I can say that these will play loudly - not ear aching but have-to-speak-loudly-to-have-a-conversation-with-someone loud before showing any distortion. Even though these are just in the break-in process, they sound fantastic. So far I've been playing jazz, soft rock and classical and it's beautiful. I haven't tried playing the Stones or Doors, etc yet for a rock test but we'll get there. So far, I have to say that the magic did make it to my home.

I just got the DRD 45's finished and hooked up yesterday. I'm using a Hagerman Clarinet preamp with the DRD45s fed into the Cornwalls. The Cornwalls have Al Klappenberger designed XO's and plasticlay damping on the woofer basket and horns. I don't have any way to measure dbs but I can say that these will play loudly - not ear aching but have-to-speak-loudly-to-have-a-conversation-with-someone loud before showing any distortion. Even though these are just in the break-in process, they sound fantastic. So far I've been playing jazz, soft rock and classical and it's beautiful. I haven't tried playing the Stones or Doors, etc yet for a rock test but we'll get there. So far, I have to say that the magic did make it to my home.

Aren't you glad you didn't listen to the naysayers - Now, just imagine what a 45 amp will do with a pair of Khorns!

I just got the DRD 45's finished and hooked up yesterday. I'm using a Hagerman Clarinet preamp with the DRD45s fed into the Cornwalls. The Cornwalls have Al Klappenberger designed XO's and plasticlay damping on the woofer basket and horns. I don't have any way to measure dbs but I can say that these will play loudly - not ear aching but have-to-speak-loudly-to-have-a-conversation-with-someone loud before showing any distortion. Even though these are just in the break-in process, they sound fantastic. So far I've been playing jazz, soft rock and classical and it's beautiful. I haven't tried playing the Stones or Doors, etc yet for a rock test but we'll get there. So far, I have to say that the magic did make it to my home.

Totally reasonable description of what your experiencing !! That is great and I'm happy for you. I personally think if all low watt users were to describe things in the same fashion we would save the battles that insue on the subject.

Craig

Totally reasonable description of what your experiencing !! That is great and I'm happy for you. I personally think if all low watt users were to describe things in the same fashion we would save the battles that insue on the subject.

Good point.

Note:

No "goes so loud it peels the paint," "shakes the pictures off the walls," or "cracks the plaster on the ceiling" statements. No "plays loud enough for Mahler" statement. In other words, no preposterous claims that just beg to be corrected in the interest of accuracy.

Yes, I am. If I hadn't heard a 45 integrated hooked to Chorus speakers, I might have listened to naysayers and passed but I did hear and I wanted.

My SO doesn't usually really listen to music but last night after hooking these up, we sat together for quite a while (1 - 2 hours) and just listened to tunes together. My SO's attention span has never even come close to lasting that long before.

You need to know exactly how loud you listen to music and exactly how much headroom you'll want for music peaks. You can do the math and see if you'll have enough wattage with a 45.

If Cornwalls are 98 dB efficient at 1 watt, if I remember correctly, you may not have enough headroom with a 1.5 watt 45 amp. Klipschorns, Belles, La Scala are more efficient at 104 dB at 1 watt, and may be efficient enough for a 45 amp, depending on how loud you normally listen.

I'd do some actual auditioning before I would summarily reject anything based solely on what someone else says, but that's just me.

I always find these sorts of "Is this enough power?" discussions interesting. Mostly because I appear to be so far out in left field compared to what the general consensus appears to be. When I had La Scalas in a 17 X 21 room (tile floor, cement walls) I found my little Rotel RA830BX2 (30 watts / side) to be just barely enough power, most of the time, with most music, and not powerful enough fairly frequently. I used a Jolida (don't remember model, 6550A tubes, 70 watts / side) and found it okay most of the time, but I prefered the sound of the Rotel if I didn't need the extra power. Also tried a bunch of other stuff (Acurus DIA100, Krell KAV300i, variety of Adcoms, Golden Tube Audio Se40 {?model?}). I never had the chance to try an SET (300B, 2A3, 45, whatever) so I might be completely wrong, but I can't imagine being satisfied with the power output. It occured to me that perhaps the problem is we're not using the same metrics here. When you talk about listening at low levels, or loud levels, or background music, or intense music, what do you mean? Here's my personal yardstick:

Background music - you can hear someone talking to you if you're close to them.
"Normal" level - you can hear someone talking to you if they're really close, or they're shouting.
"Pretty Loud" - you can't hear anyone unless they're standing next to you shouting at you.
"Loud" - you can see someone's mouth moving, but you can't hear what they're saying.
"Really Loud" - You can't hear yourself shouting back "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
"Awsome, Dude!" - You don't notice someone slapping you on the back because it feels just like the kick drum.

Here's my personal yardstick:

Background music - you can hear someone talking to you if you're close to them.

"Normal" level - you can hear someone talking to you if they're really close, or they're shouting.

"Pretty Loud" - you can't hear anyone unless they're standing next to you shouting at you.

"Loud" - you can see someone's mouth moving, but you can't hear what they're saying.

"Really Loud" - You can't hear yourself shouting back "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"Awsome, Dude!" - You don't notice someone slapping you on the back because it feels just like the kick drum.

Well, If this is your yardstick, I Never exceed the Normal Level. - Anyone with any knowledge of the human ear, knows that you are damaging your hearing by your "Pretty Loud" yardstick. If you are not deaf now, you will be soon! BTW - By your definition " Loud" and above "Loud" is no longer Music, It's just noise!