Forget 1080p, Here comes 4K - 4096x2160

mas

First the industry should start touching 1080,as most users are far far away from the "low rez" 1080p. Before we have the super high def home 1080p will have to be common fare,and 1080p is far from being a standard.

Heck I just purchased a Sharp Aquos that is 1080p capable,now show me the programming,movies in 1080p and I will be a happy camper.

I can't imagine it being too long until people start using the same media/equipment used for the pro cinemas out there. And heck, it'd be a ton less work to release the movies too. I think 11.2 surround sound would be real nice, and just imagine a movie theatre screen shrunk down to fit on your wall at home [H]

Isn't there some law coming into effect requiring every TV out there to convert to HD or something like that?

Yes every station must be digital by Feb 2009. However they are not required to broadcast in HD. There are 212 TV markets and I can tell you anyone of them above 175 won't go HD anytime soon. Our station (DMA 192) will be is digital and analog right now but I doubt we won't go HD until about 2012. The cost for small market stations to convert to HD is enormous.