Cornwalls need major reinforcement!

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

Apparently from 25 years of pumpin away, my Cornwall cabinets have had it! Over the last month or so, I've noticed a gradually increasing resonance coming from the right side whenever I play music that is relatively heavy in bass.

Today, playing Crystal Method, it is absolutely unbearable. So, I go behind the right Cornwall and check it out, and it's the back of the cabinet! All screws are tight, and it's coming from right in the middle of the back panel. In order to keep it quiet, I have to push the back in pretty hard. And this is at moderate levels, i.e. below 80db, way too low for Crystal Method. So, question is, what are my options? These cabs already look like they were dropped off a truck (maybe more than once!). However, I don't have woodworking ability at all, and don't really have the money to buy another set of cabs.

Is there anything I can do to reinforce these guys? In the meantime, I'll have to take them out of service, cause they sound worse than me farting!

Thanks,

Jon

EDIT: I went into the receiver and set speaker size to small, which rolls off everything below 80 HZ and they still do it! Surprised by that!

remove the back, get some angle iron or angle aluminum (easier to cut) and screw a couple of lengths of that diagonally across the back. Squeeze some paneling adhesive between them first, just so nothing vibrates.

Tools needed, Hacksaw, drill, screwdriver, caulk gun.

If the screw holes holding the back onto the cabinet are loose, you can insert a couple of toothpicks in the holes and snap them off before reinstalling the back, the extra wood will tighten the hole up.

Michael

Jon,

1) Be very careful NOT to put any screws that penetrate the back near the Mid-range!!

2) Some have screwed and glued another piece of 3/4 inch (slightly smaller in dimension than the original) to the backs, with good results.

3) Quick and dirty for those with minimum wood skills: The Mid-range is intended to touch the the back of the inside of the speaker, inorder to stiffen the back. Add 1/8" to 3/16" sheet rubber from a good hardware store, to the inside back of the speaker right where it touches the Mid-range AND be sure you can tighten down the screws. The toothpicks in each of the crew holes is a good way to do this.

Mike

The Mid-range is intended to touch the the back of the inside of the speaker, inorder to stiffen the back.

Are you sure about this? It seems like a rather suspect design, if it was done intentionally.

Personally, I would do as little as possible in terms of altering the cabinet, especially if the mods are visible. BTW, what is meant by a "resonance"? Does this mean something was rattling around? If this is the case, then there is a more direct solution....

-Tom

Hey Guys,

As far as the "resonance", what I'm hearing is a rattling of the back panel during bass hits. Most noticeable with electronic music, or deep kick drums, or moving electric bass, etc.

I didn't remember if the midrange touched the back or not. I know there is old damping material on the back panel. I believe the damping material touched the midrange. However, it's the woofer that's really creating the vibration. Maybe the damping material has worn out and the midrange is rattling more directly against the panel? I don't think that would be possible though. I think without the damping material, there would be a slight gap between the midrange and the back panel.

-Jon

The midrange drivers on my Cornwalls do compress the damping material. Let me give you one other suggestion though. Make sure the midrange horn screws are very tight. I had that problem once. I heard it when the woofer was producing lots of bass below 100 hz. Tightening the mid horn screws fixed it.

Bob Crites

There are sometimes only 4 wood screws holding the woofer in place. It's possible that you've shaken one loose. Check for tightness, add toothpicks to holes and reinstall screws.

You could mark positions for the other four screws, remove woofer, drill out screw holes (being careful NOT to puncture through the front baffle board), then reinstall woofers using 8 screws to reinforce it.

I suppose it's possible that the back could be vibrating and striking the mid driver, tightening the driver, adding material or stiffening the back could all be solutions to that dilemma.

BTW, I was speaking of putting the stiffening ribs INSIDE the back panel. I think those who use a double panel for the back add the extra thickness to the outside of the cabinet so as not to subtract from the internal volume of the cabinet. (you also wouldn't have to cut hole for mid driver)

Let us know how it works out.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaving for Colorado tomorrow to attend the CEDIA conference, but I'll try some of these out when I get back.

As far as the woofer getting floppy, this is a replacement driver, only about 1-2 years old, so Ithat shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

My Dad is building some speakers of his own right now, with BG Ribbon drivers. Once they're done, we're going to take apart the Cornwalls.

I ordered some Solen caps for the crossovers from Parts Express. Figured while we're at it, I'll recap the crossovers.

-Jon

Cornwalled,

One thing that no one mentioned, is that the back of the cornwall resonating when you drive them hard (vibrating like mad)......is pretty much normal. You won't get it to stop.

But...by tightening everything up on the midhorn, woofer, and rear access panel you will be able to make the cabinet noise go away.

My cabinets are silent but the backs vibrate like heck. Everything is tight. Without making a change to the back it's not going to go away.

They still sound fantastic. I don't even worry about it. They are old and that was inherent in the design.

I think if I replaced the rear access panel with a brand new unfatigued piece of plywood.....it would still do the same thing. It vibrates way too much to think it would simply stop altogether. Maybe you could minimize it some.

The 3/4" plywood sheet on the back, screwed & glued, (outside) and 1-1/2X1-1/2" angle iron across the motor board (inside) works for me. The side panels of the production CW's are too small to have much, if any, deflection. This kind of bracing allows the "back-side" of the bass reflex woofer to punch through the ports with more acoustic energy.

Again, this is only me. Others could / will disagree.

Regards,

tc

Vibrating back panels represents a loss of acoustic energy that would normally come out as "music" had it not been "sidetracked".

I would definitely strengthen and reinforce the back panel to prevent it from vibrating as much as possible. Look what Altec did with the a7/828 cabinet in the end... 2-2x4's!

DM

828cabin.pdf