Any thoughts? Live Music and Jazz

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

I was wondering if any one has seen any of the following acts recently, if so, thoughts on the performance. They are coming to Austin at some point, and if something sounds interesting would get tickets. It has been a long time since I have seen Bo Diddley and Leo Kottke.

PARAMOUNT THEATER:

10/7/06 BO DIDDLEY 8:00 PM, $55

11/3/06 I CANT STOP LOVING YOU/THE GENIUS OF RAY CHARLES 8:00 PM, $75

11/10/06 SARAH VOWELL 8:00 PM, $40

11/30/06 DAVE BRUBECK & RAMSEY LEWIS 8:00 PM, $95

12/1/06 SWEET HONEY IN THE ROCK 8:00 PM, $60

1/26/07 DAVE BERRY 8:00 PM, $55

2/3/07 MAN OF LA MANCHA 8:00 PM, $80

4/23/07 DAVID SEDARIS 8:00 PM, $43

5/17/07 LEO KOTTKE 8:00 PM, $39

ONE WORLD THEATER:

10/4/06 JESSE COOK 7:00 PM, $54 House

10/20/06 BRIAN CULBERTSON 7:00 PM, $58 House/$73 Prime

10/27/06 FOURPLAY 7:00 PM, $69 House/$84 Prime

11/9/06 TAJ MAHAL 7:00 PM, $78 Prime

11/10/06 KEIKO MATSUI 7:00 PM, $58 House

1/14/07 CLARKE/DUKE PROJECT 7:00 PM, $63 House/$78 Prime

2/25/07 EDDIE PALMIERI 7:00 PM, $58 House/$73 Prime

5/27/07 ARTURO SANDOVAL 7:00 PM, $63 House/$78 Prime

BASS CONCERT HALL:

12/3/06 ARETHA FRANKLIN 8:00 PM, $90

Arturo Sandoval is a class act. You might look into that one- more modern horn based, Latin rhythms. I've seen him here. Good show very entertaining performer and hot band!

From his web site:

Sandoval

was a founding member of the Grammy Award-winning group Irakere, whose

explosive mixture of jazz, classical, rock and traditional Cuban music

caused a sensation throughout the entertainment world. In 1981, he left

Irakere to form his own band, which garnered enthusiastic praise from

critics and audiences all over the world. Sandoval was voted Cuba s

Best Instrumentalist from 1982 to 1990.

bio2.gif

Arturo

Sandoval has been awarded 4 Grammy Awards, 6 Billboard Awards and an

Emmy Award. The latter for his composing work on the entire underscore

of the HBO movie based on his life, For Love or Country starring

Andy Garcia. He is one of the most dynamic and vivacious live

performers of our time, and has recently been seen by millions in the

Grammy Awards performing with pop-phenomenon Justin Timberlake as well

as on the Latin Billboard Awards with the gifted Alicia

Keys, where he was awarded his 6th Billboard Awards for Best Latin

Jazz Album.

'Duke' - yeah it does have a ring to it, doesn't it?

Now I don't know about any of the acts listed as to whether I'd go out of my way to see them. But you might be surprised. I've been given tickets to live acts, reluctantly gone to the show, and walked away very impressed. So maybe the idea is to try an act you normally wouldn't be interested in, and go see 'em... [8]

I thought it's suppose to be expensive here in the SF Bay area!

Those are Texas sized admissions. Taj Mahal cost $24 at his last appearance at Yoshi's in Oakland, and due in again at the end of November, as most likely will be the cost for Eddie Palmieri the first week of December. BTW, who is performing this one, 11/3/06 I CANT STOP LOVING YOU/THE GENIUS OF RAY CHARLES 8:00 PM, $75. I know it won't be Ray Charles! [;)]

Klipsch out.

Check out those prices! $95 to hear Brubeck and Ramsey Lewis? YIKES!

There's nothing on that list that would drag me in, that's for sure.

Thank God I'm in L.A. where you can go hear great music for very little cash!

Allan,

I'm planning to attend this upcoming Yoshi's event, though not sure which date yet.

CEDAR WALTON TRIO

WITH SPECIAL GUESTS STEVE TURRE AND VINCENT HERRING

NOVEMBER 8 NOVEMBER 12

Klipsch out.

Check out those prices! $95 to hear Brubeck and Ramsey Lewis? YIKES!

There's nothing on that list that would drag me in, that's for sure.

Thank God I'm in L.A. where you can go hear great music for very little cash!

Allan,

I'm planning to attend this upcoming Yoshi's event, though not sure which date yet.

CEDAR WALTON TRIO

WITH SPECIAL GUESTS STEVE TURRE AND VINCENT HERRING

NOVEMBER 8 NOVEMBER 12

Klipsch out.

I might have to fly in for that one! Cedar will be in LA with a trio later this year at the Bakery, but Vincent Herring is one of my favorite alto players. I have heard him with the MIngus Big Band here in LA and with his own quartet in New York just this past July. I have quite a few of his albums as well.

• Moderators

Those are Texas sized admissions. Taj Mahal cost $24 at his last appearance at Yoshi's in Oakland, and due in again at the end of November, as most likely will be the cost for Eddie Palmieri the first week of December. BTW, who is performing this one, 11/3/06 I CANT STOP LOVING YOU/THE GENIUS OF RAY CHARLES 8:00 PM, $75. I know it won't be Ray Charles! [;)]

Klipsch out.

Regarding the prices, I belong to a Club which is part of Club Corp, they operate Country Clubs and Golf Course around the USA, including Pinehurst. In most major Citys they also operate add on social clubs. Austin's is called "Austin Society,", I think each city is pretty much named the the same way. One of the benefits is tickets. They enter agreements with local venues where they guarantee to purchase blocks of prime seating tickets. So the up side is that there is always a supply of the best ticktes for theses shows, the down side is you pay a $10 to $40 premium per ticket. I like it because I don't have to track who is coming to town and when and then trying to be the first on a web site, or worse waiting in some kind of line for ticktets. So the prices are higher then what they normally would be. These tickets are all center in the first 5 rows. At some venues it gets you into special VIP areas for cocktails, special vip parking. So, for me at least, they are still a bargin for all that you get and the time savings.

Jaz, I am assuming the RC is a tribute show of some kind, not really a tribute band kind of guy, but if someone saw it and thought it was worth checking out I would give it a try.

• Moderators

Travis, Do yourself a huge favor and go see the Asylum Street Spankers 9/29 at Ruta Maya. $12 cover, dude. Get there early so you can sit close!!

Fini,

How, prey tell, did you know about that? Ruta Maya is a cool place, did you know about it, or the band, or both?

Travis

• Moderators

You want to see ticket prices, check these out:

Austin Society of Texas Clubs

2shorizbar.gif

2swebsite.gif
2scontact.gif

spacer.gif

We now have access to 26 Jimmy Buffett tickets at The Paramount on the 19th of this month. The locations and prices are below:

Orchestra:

Row J-Left, seats 9-10, $320 each
Row K-Right, seats 1-2, $320 each
Row L-Left, seats 7-8, $320 each
Row N-Left, seats 3-4, $320 each
Row P-Left, seats 5-8, $320 each
Row Q-Left, seats 7-10, $320 each
Row Q-Center, seats 9-10, $320 each
Row R-Right, seats 1-4, $320 each
Row T-Left, seats 5-6, $320 each

Mezzanine:

Row F-Right Center, seats 5-6, $215 each

We are happy to offer these tickets to our members, but want to let you know that this does not constitute an endorsement of Kinky Friedman or any candidate by Austin Society.

Jimmy is comming to town to do a fund raiser concert for Kinky Friedman who is running for Gov. in Texas as an Independant.

Y'all let me know how many tickets you want and I will get them for you.[;)]

Travis

• Moderators

Klipsch out.

Jazman,

I don't know how big Yoshi's is, but One World is pretty small, less then 150 seats, so the prices tend to be about double of normal venues. As you can see, it is like seeing them in your living room.

Travis

post-15134-13819308370024_thumb.jpg

Travis, Do yourself a huge favor and go see the Asylum Street Spankers 9/29 at Ruta Maya. $12 cover, dude. Get there early so you can sit close!!

Fini,

How, prey tell, did you know about that? Ruta Maya is a cool place, did you know about it, or the band, or both?

Travis

I'm a big Spankers fan. They're from Austin, ferchrissakes! You owe it to yourself to go. One of the best bands you'll see live. 12 bucks, man! You can take your whole country club!!