Looking for Chorus or Cornwalls, + a couple of questions!

Audible Nectar

This is my first post to the list after lurking for about a week. What a find to bump into a group of like minded Klipsch freaks! This seems the perfect place to begin the pursuit of a pair of Chorus or Cornwalls, as I do have a few questions.

The Obvious: I'm looking for a used set of Chorus or Cornwalls. I live in Illinois and would like to see them, and avoid shipping hassles. I'll drive several hundred miles, if necessary. If this is inappopriate asking this here, I apologize. I did notice a few past posts regarding past sales, so I thought this would be OK. I actually called the Dallas Morning News ad about the Cherry Cornwalls for $500, even devising a plan ahead of time to schedule time off to go get them, and they were of course sold (big surprise)!

Would a 70 WPC H/K AVR75 be adequate to run them effectively? I am aware that tube amps work the best with these speakers, but I got the H/K for a song, and have heard earlier H/K amps at 100W sound good with the Chorus II before. I just want to make sure that I won't be disappointed with that amp/speaker pairing.

Is there any particular concerns that I should keep in mind when looking for these models? I read here that in general, the Chorus II is preferable to the Chorus, and the Cornwall is preferable to the Cornwall II. I'm sure I would be happy with any of the four, but I'm looking for some insight here from the group. I listen to rock and roll mostly, and these seem the ideal choice for me. I like the LaScalas too, but they are a bit large for the room.

Thank you in advance for your collective knowledge. I look forward to being a Klipsch owner soon - hopefully very soon.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

dndphishin,

I, too, am new here and don't know as much as many of the other folks here but I KNOW you would be happy with Cornwalls (I love mine). I think the 70w/ch would be adequate to drive them. I don't have any experience with the Chorus speakers.

By the way, the next time you see a pair of Cornwalls in cherry condition for sale for $500 you buy them immediately. Or you post a message here for the rest of us.Smile.gif

dndphishin,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck on the Cornwall purchase-don't worry a pair will show up sooner or later.I looked for a couple years on and off for my Cornwalls and posted an ad on www.audioreview.com before I got a reply from a gentleman in Philadephia selling his one-owner set, mint condition,even has the original shipping boxes!After some bargaining I took the wifes minivan and drove from Massachusetts to pick them up(no way I was gonna pay for shipping/handling on these puppies).

Onto your question...I too listen to mostly Rock&Roll and your 70 watt-per-channel H/K SS amp is MORE than enough to power either Cornwalls or Chorus speakers.I run a Yamaha 260 watt SS amp with 2 Cornwalls,2 Cerwin-Vegas and 2 Niles OS-20 outdoor speakers so I can change speakers like my wife changes her mind.Smile.gif

If you listen to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal a SS amp is the only way to go and for the ones that say it too harsh/too grainy/too whatever Rock is meant to be Loud.

In regards to your comment about which is the better speakers the Cornwalls/Cornwall IIs/Chorus/Chorus IIs I think you'd be happy with any of these fine speakers especially for Rock as they all have that Klipsch slam to them.I'd look for condition and price as the factor as you really don't seem to mind the distant drive for them.Let me know what you find.

Jeff

dnd:

Looks like you are situated right between Des Moines, IA and Chicago, IL. Keep checking the newspapers on-line and check with stereo shops in the area to see if they

ever get Klipsch speaker trade-ins.

I found my set of Forte's & Heresy's in local newspaper ads, 6 months apart, surprisingly within 30 miles of home and selling for half the going rate. I have the Cornwalls on my wish list but I am almost afraid to find a pair since I'll probably end up divorced.

Good Luck to us all!

Success!!! I hit the jackpot today - I received an E-mail offering up a mint pair of Cornwall II's. They were less than three hours away, so I jumped in the truck and made the trek to the Chicago suburbs to check 'em out.

They were as advertised, a 1989 mint pair of Cornwall II's. It is hard to believe that an article that is 12 years old could be in such condition. The owner had never moved them since the purchase 12 years ago - there is a very, very minor indent on a rear corner, and a spot or two, but my wife and I looked hard for those. 700 bucks! Simply a bargain! The seller knew what they were really worth too, but sold them to me anyway at that price with no negotiation - he seemed confident that I would appreciate them as much as he and his wife did. I will. I wish that every transaction I participate in would go as well.

It was bound to be an adventure bringing them home in the topperless pickup truck though, as rain threatened in northern Illinois today. Me and the seller spent an hour wrapping the Cornwalls in multiple layers of blankets and plastic sheeting, then additional blankets on the truck bed, all of it loaded in my truck bed covered in tarps and tied down. Fortunately, only a few light sprinkles on the way home - the Cornwalls made it here in the same condition that they left Chicago.

There was no chance of waiting until tomorrow to hook them up for a test run. Like a kid on Christmas morning, I was doing it today! They sound AWESOME!!!!! The Harman/Kardon 70 watt amp drives them well - more sound than I know what to do with. Simply jaw dropping. It is really an experience to own speakers of such quality - I have never owned any speaker that even comes close to this. I spent three years drooling all over a friend's pair (until he moved to Florida) - now I can drool on my own pair!

Thanks for the leads I have received from you listers! This board has been very helpful; in only just a few short days of investigation I've gotten up to speed on what's up in the world of Klipsch these days, and I landed a set of wonderful speakers. It's fun to converse with similarly obsessed music lovers too - I'll still be browsing the boards. Just because I found what I was looking for doesn't mean that I won't still be hanging around!

Proud to be a Klipsch ownerSmile.gif

Dave

Text

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Congratulations! Your story brought back memories of when I purchased mine in February, 1979. I could only get one home at a time and it was beginning to snow heavily. By the time I got the first one home there was several inches on the ground. The store was 45 minutes away and it was snowing like crazy. What should I do - well what do you think I did. I listened to the pair of them that night. I, too, drooled over the sound when I hooked them up. I still do.

Buying your Cornwalls is a day you will always remember. Enjoy!!Biggrin.gif

Don

dndphishin:

Welcome to our little world here! I remember when I got my KLF-30's a year and a half ago. I was putting them in a new theatre room in my almost finished basement. The trucking company called me and said they were on their way. I impatiently waited outside. The driver and I carried them to the porch. I grabbed one of the contractors working on the other part of the house and had them help me carry them downstairs. In the unfinished basement I hooked them up and listened for a few hours. Just the receiver on the floor, the speakers, and me with a pile of CD's. My then future-wife came over and thought I was nuts...a couple of months later I took a position with Klipsch and the next day we got married...ah, the memories!

PhilH

Good to hear that you found a nice pair and at a decent price! You'll enjoy them for at least as long as the original owner did! They last forvere I think.

Mine was similar story right down to the open bed pickup and impending rain. I was only 30 minutes from home and luckily it didn't rain! The owner was funny ...He said he wouldn't sell them to anyone under 30 years old! He wanted to make sure they would be appreciated and taken care of by a mature owner!cwm35.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)