The ultimate WAF, how can this sound good?

customsteve01

Steve: Bob's right: The concept of these inductors has been around since the late 1960's/Early 1970's. -Oops!: My age is showing! [:$]

I think the fact that they have never really caught on in a big way sort of speaks for itself regarding the possible acheived results. However, I am not trying to discourage anyone from experimenting with them as I have never heard how they sound. In fact, they'd probably be a lot of fun to play with.

The little Sonic Impact stick on drivers are also used in some sonic impact speakers which are nothing more than folded cardboard triangle/pyramid shapes with the little stickies on them. I've heard them. I'd say they sound better than what one would expect from cardboard forms.

Yeh, pretty darn weak.

The poorest mono car radio beats the heck out of those things.

they are no where near escoteric...... everyone goto the nearest sharper image or brookstones and find it. I think its in the shaper image..... maybe not the same company but same principle..... I think you're not going to ebay the klipsch anytime soon.

Looks like a great way to back the drywall screws and nails out of your house while recreating the excruciating sounds of Iraqui street life.

Soon you will see a site offering special 'audiophile blue coating' (paint) that can be applied to walls using these drivers, and guarantee to improve "soundstage imaging, spatial dimensionality, and give a true 3-D effect to the sound."

I use a large version of these at work. It has a servo-feedback sensor on it and is flat from 10hz~1Khz. It can move up to 550lbs at up to 22G. It has a field-coil magnet and a dual voice-coil. I can't remember the voltage off-hand, but the field is adjusted to about 80A, and the two voice-coils run about 200A (peak) depending on the profile I need to run.

Need I mention it can get quite loud?

I wouldn't knock the core concepts of this design...everyone knows bigger is better and electrostatics have a rather good reputation too. I think turning every wall in the theatre into a speaker is a great idea - especially if it can get to a point of sounding very good (which would probably entail more specific design critieria for the walls - or fake walls put up everywhere).

For the boardroom applications I think they should have started with a design that concentrated more on the vocal range - not two drivers that cut it in half.