BlueBerry Question: ATTN BB/BBX OWNERS

Travis In Austin

Man, I haven't even looked inside my BBX. One of these days I'll have to have a peek. So, how much do those ECC801s go for? Anyone got a "loaner?" [;)]

1st question: About $140.

2nd question: No.

Don't worry about it Fini. It's all in my head. How much difference can 2% make anyway?[;)]

I doubt if any two people hearing the same difference would quantify it exactly the same way. Even if they perceived the difference to be the exact same amount in their heads, one guy might say "That's TEN TIMES better" while the other guy might say "That's 5% better." In the rarefied world of the audiophile, 1/10 of a percent is worth doing.

How can differences be quantified? Nobody is using any scale, let alone the same scale.

I agree with both of you (Mark and Paul).

It took me a while to discover that for my purposes, the V1 12AT7 is the one that really matters. You REALLY can hear a difference with vinyl. I'm guilty of spending too much money to ultimately discover that for my purposes, the 6DJ8 just doesn't matter all that much unless you have a noisy tube in that slot. Like I said, a quiet $5 6DJ8 will sound worlds better than a noisy $200 Cca. Until you find that nice, quiet 6DJ8, forget about evaluating the others.

• Moderators

Some really great info guys. I have my tube broker searching his warehouse now for some of these tubes and I hope I will get lucky enough for him to acually have some of them.

I probably kept Mark too busy on having to reply to this thread and so it is going to take an extra day or two to get it, but I figure it is worth it since he explained how things work upstream and downstream from each tube.

I lot of great information from everyone, I really appreciate it.

Travis

I have been looking to get a ecc801s and seems to be somewhat difficult. I found one at a place in Upland, Ca., but they were so rude I wont buy anything from them. Then the guy told me that the ecc801 was not a good tube to put in that slot. I told him that even the guy (Mark, but didn't use names) that makes the unit said it was good and the guy basically told me I was full of &hit!! So I will continue to look and be patient.

• Moderators

I have been looking to get a ecc801s and seems to be somewhat difficult. I found one at a place in Upland, Ca., but they were so rude I wont buy anything from them. Then the guy told me that the ecc801 was not a good tube to put in that slot. I told him that even the guy (Mark, but didn't use names) that makes the unit said it was good and the guy basically told me I was full of &hit!! So I will continue to look and be patient.

I will let you know what my tube guy comes up with and will pass along the information.

Travis

Kevin, at Upscale Audio?

• Moderators

Do those tubes look to be slightly used to you? The bottoms don't appear to be clear glass, a bit smokey. It may just be the photo.

Travis