i-Fi volume control malfunction

ape #3

My replacement controller worked for about two months. Same problem as before. Sigh. I wish I knew if it was the controller/dock that has the defect, or what . I am not buying any more $60 docks even if they were available. These are awesome sounding speakers. I would love to be able to use them somehow, even without an ipod. I really wish I could take Andy out for a few beers. Perhaps then he would loosen up and let me know what he knows. Anyhow, still wishing for a pinout on the din, or information that it wouldn’t help determine if there is any way to make these usefull again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today, my iFi experienced the exact same thing. but I always left my iFi muted whenever I is not in use. As I played with the volume knob, only left speaker working, or right speaker working or only the sub working.

Worst yet, when I plug in an iPod on top of it, the volume went 100% with high pitch!

Please help, is there any spare parts I could order to solve this problem? I honestly love my iFi a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dbert,

I have a problem with the DIN cable connected to the dock. The DIN plug was torn from the cable when my wife attempted to disconnect the dock from the main unit. So, rather than buying another dock I would like to repair the cable. When you had the dock apart did you happen to check continuity between the DIN plug and the 5-position and 6-position connectors that mate to connectors on the dock? If so, any info that you have would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I found a replacement plug at DigiKey (part #CP-2090-ND) in case anyone is in need of one.

Thanks,

T

I used a multimeter to check the continuity of the wires.

I was going to warn you that this was as viewed from the front, but then I realized how easy it would be to just flip the image over. So this is as viewed from the rear of the connector as you are repairing it. The black wire in the top row is to the same 5 pin connector as the red and white that are also in the top row The black wire in the middle row goes to the 6 pin connector on the dock along with the other wires in the middle and bottom row.

iFi 9 pin wire connections

other end

• 5 weeks later...

I decided the volume control knob is a rotary encoder similar to this.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=seHrhfPpLDyxH7JES5SCFA%3d%3d

I opened up my sub last night and found this on the board with the din connector.

LM1973

Googleing LM1973, this appears to be a common volume control IC.

I am not smart enough to reverse engineer this whole volume control so how about throwing us a bone and at least provide the pinout on the DIN if nothing else. I just want a chance to have a working 2.1 system.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem as others. I am very upset. I can't get output out of both left and right at the same time anymore. There are loud popping noises when sound turns on or off. I am not using an iPod, I am using this with my computer. Used to sound sweet.

I bought these around 2003 or 4. They were $500. I expect them to still work. How do I fix this? Is their a repair shop in Massachusetts?

Sad to say you are probably out of luck. I sure wish I had some idea what the culprit was so I had some idea if there was any way possible to make them work just as computer speakers. I tried replacing the rotary encoder on one of my docks but it still did the same thing.

Gents: thanks for the response. Klipsch support indicated it may be the dock, the amp or both and suggested I try the doc first. I'll give it a try for $60 or whatever. If I can save these speakers for that price I will remain happy. If not, I will become a dissatisfied customer.

• 2 weeks later...

dude, this problem is stupid. Klipsch acts like they still haven't realized this problem goes on, and pretend like they dont know whether it is the dock or the amp. can u reply when you find out whether replacing the dock works? cuz i don't want to replace the whole f*cki*g sound system. thanks

I willl certainy reply Dani, but I should warn you a little trial and error I've gotten the system where it is working for the moment. So I don't plan to purchase the new dock until the next time the sound goes out in one of the speakers (or other serious problem). If I don't touch the wheel it seems to be stable for the moment. I suspect it may work like this for another week or two!

i got my ifi to work once in a while when it first stopped working right, but then after a while, it would never work. even if i waited for a month or so, the problem didn't go away. i tried adjusting the wheel slowly and all over the place, like in between notches, but no. what did you do anyways to get it to work again?? just adjust the wheel??