WHICH RECORD CLEANING MACHINE

jcmusic

One thing that's always bothered me about the VPI.... I see Music Direct (and Michael Fremer) have addressed it. As if vaccuming records isn't already painful enough.

"1 extra VPI Cork mat (so you don't have to put the just-cleaned side of an LP back down on a dirty mat! Just put on the extra mat when you flip your LP to clean the other side...just like Michael Fremer recommends!) "

I ordered the VPI today. I also ordered the cleaning solution - $40 for both liquids - what a rip off. I hate buying overpriced "audiophile" snake oil, it makes me feel like a sucker, but I know that if I need it I can't get it locally.

Can anyone tell me where to get the ultra pure alcahol? I need to mix my own cleaner.

I hope all of you guys are using these machines correctly. If you're not very careful, you're going to suck the high frequencies right off the vinyl. Those high frequencies are tiny and not very strong. They can't hold on--like being sucked up by a tornado in Oklahoma. I've heard records that were improperly cleaned and all they had left were bass frequencies. Oh! Wait! Those were rap records. Never mind.

Has anyone built a DIY record cleaning machine? I'm a DIY'er and have given it some thought. A vacuum wand and tower can be purchased from VPI. I have and old Dirt Devil hand vac, that could supply its motor. I've got a beater turntable/radio/cassette player from my youth, which could supply the platter, bearing, etc. I need to find a high torque/ low rpm motor. I can build a box to put it all in. I'm a tool & die maker by trade, and a hobbiest wood worker, so I believe I could pull this off. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. My record collection is not big enough yet, to justify $400-$500 for a record cleaning machine. That money could be used to upgrade some other equipment. I don't mind cleaning them by hand now, in order to save money to spend on a better front end. So if anyone has done this please give your thoughts, i'm sure i'm not the 1st to think of this. Sorry to high jack the thread.

Jeremy

If you come up with a design post it or PM me. I'd be interested in building one too. I could help out with the wood working aspect of the design.

I only know one person who killed a 16.5. Guy Landau blew out the motor after cleaning about 100 records non-stop if I remember correctly. Could have been less. I'm still not sure how he managed to keep the felt on the wand dry enough to clean properly. 4 or 5 LPs in a row is about my limit. The thing really is a tank though.

I bought replacement felt strips (2 sets for $4) from DiscDoctor for the wand (cheaper than buying a new arm @ $25) and they work great. At first I thought they weren't working as well as the originals but after a slight adjustment to the angle, they do a great job. You just need to tilt wand ever so slightly so the opening isn't straight down.

I have Guys old machine (with a new motor and wand) and it workd great. Before I bought the VPI, I had the basic nitti gritti and it workd very well too. I have admit however that I really like haveing the record turn by itself. It may not seem like a big deal but its way easier than turning with one hand and scrubbing with the other. Maybe I am just weak but I would get cramps on my hand when cleaning only a few LPs.

Josh