Just became a Klipsch owner (RF-7's)

NetMagi

Just made my first Klipsch purchase. A pair of brand new RF-7's in cherry. I don't know if I'm allowed to say how much i paid, but they were *VERY* reasonable.

Anyway, these will be replacing a very old pair of Hartley H-300 towers. I'll only be using them for 2-channel music listening. The receiver I have is a Harman Kardon AVR 5. I believe it's 40w/ch. I've heard the RF-7's are very efficient, but will this amp be enough to drive them? The Hartley H-300's they're replacing each had (2) 10's and 2 tweeters and the AVR 5 drove them well.

I haven't cracked the boxes on the RF-7's yet, but i will as soon as I get home tonight. What should I expect from this setup, and is there anything i should know being a new Klipsch owner?

-Rich

I only have one question if you are using them for 2 channel listening why an AVR?

The usual reason, money :)

I got the AVR 5 for free. I found it cleaning out someone's shed, and they let me have it in exchange for taking a load of their junk to the local salvation army in my truck.

The only reason I picked up the RF-7's was because of the exceptional price. In the future I plan on picking up a better 2-channel amp to drive them, but for now I'm hoping the AVR 5 will do.

-Rich

Congrats,I think the HK will do till you can move up.The 7's are great but placement is important,corners are nice.Another big benefit would be to have a sub,I use mine even for 2ch listening.One last thing,when you open the 7's(if boxed),lay the box down,open bottom and fold back then stand up and pull box upward.

One last thing,when you open the 7's(if boxed),lay the box down,open bottom and fold back then stand up and pull box upward.

Yes, they're still factory sealed in their boxes. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definetely do that.

Excellent advice on the un-pack Fish and by the way sweet Mopar[;)]

In 2 channel setup do you really think the RF-7's need a sub? Last ones I heard were driven by a big B&K SS amp they hit some solid lows with a Jeff Beck CD Pump on them[:)]

Rich, when your ready to spend a hun or two ask around here and maybe we can help with some good vintage SS gear. I'm thinking a nice HK730 Twin or 930 would be the ticket for those new RF's[:P]

Thanks kSET,a sub is not mandatory but in my larger room,properly adjusted it adds great punch to music.To answer the ? though,no,it is not needed,only a preference.

As kSET said,when you get ready to upgrade the Kgang will help out.

I only have one question if you are using them for 2 channel listening why an AVR?

The usual reason, money :)

I

got the AVR 5 for free. I found it cleaning out someone's shed,

and they let me have it in exchange for taking a load of their junk to

the local salvation army in my truck.

The only reason I picked

up the RF-7's was because of the exceptional price. In the future

I plan on picking up a better 2-channel amp to drive them, but for now

I'm hoping the AVR 5 will do.

-Rich

You can get by with the amp. THe speakers have way more music realism

potential than the amp can tap into. Make for great fun upgrading and

apreciating the improvments n amplification and source.

Spill the beans...how much did you pay? There's no policy on here against discussing price paid for gear..especially when you got a great deal!

I personally have a H/K 3480 120wattsx2 running my RF-7s. What I found in upgrading to a higher wattage amp is not that it plays louder but it sounds better at the same volume levels. With the RF-7s, more watts usually means more bass too.

Enjoy your new speakers! I've had mine since January and have enjoyed upgrading my components to match the quality of my speakers.

Spill the beans...how much did you pay? There's no policy on here against discussing price paid for gear..especially when you got a great deal!

Well, I think I got a great deal anyway. . .

$1100 total (including tax) out the door.

I'm in the middle of hooking them up right now, so will post first thoughts real soon :P

yeh uhhhhhhh wow. .

just wow...

Is it wrong to be almost crying?

I've never heard speakers with highs this clear or mid-bass so accurate and tight. . and of course there's plenty way down low (but I've heard plenty of speakers that do that)

I can't stop turning them up!!! I'll be deaf by morning!

I like them, a little, maybe :P

I personally have a H/K 3480 120wattsx2 running my RF-7s. What I found in upgrading to a higher wattage amp is not that it plays louder but it sounds better at the same volume levels. With the RF-7s, more watts usually means more bass too.

Ain't that the truth! I am driving mine with a B&K amp at 200 watts per channel.

The clarity, dynamics and detail is just friggan unbelievable! I've had this setup pretty much now for nearly 3 years and I still love it like the day I first got it!

To the original poster - oh yes, enjoy those RF-7s, as I honostly think they are excellent speaker myself - I am still very much loving mine after buying the speakers themselves some 4 years ago (and even more once I went from a Denon reciever to B&K gear!)

I did actually have one anomally. . .

When i *FIRST* hooked them up, about 20 seconds into the *FIRST* song I listened to, the tweeter on the left channel completely cut out for about 15 seconds until i cranked up the volume and it suddenly sprung to life again. Both woofers were still crystal, but the tweeter was definetely "off".

Should i be concerned, or was this just the tweeter 'settling in' after a long journey in the boxes? :)

-Rich

I'll second the loose cable. I've got both RF-7's and RF-3's, and I had a loose cable on my RF-3's.

Congrats on your purchase. As some have already mentioned, the key to getting the most out of the 7's is to feed tham lots of clean power from an amp that can drive low impedance loads. An amp that is a bit on the warmish side is helpful too, and the RF-7's can be a bit aggressive with high frequncies. For a speaker with this price/performance ration, that is a mere quibble. I love mine.

Net, welcome to the board. Now that you have the RF7s, and have fallen in love with them.........Give us the number to your checking account and the pin code and we will make you have an Org.... Er, better watch that, lets just say, you will be ever so thankfull[;)] It is too late to turn back now, give in to the Klipsch!