5 channel amp recommendation for Legend HT

gbrlex

I just completed my HT with all KLF 30's and a KLF C-7 as the center channel. I'm looking for recommendations on a 5 channel 200wpc amp. I'm currently using a Rotel RMB 1080 for the front speakers and Adcom for the rest.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

I was going to go with the 1095 until I spoke with a tech at Rotel and he said that the 1080 was far superior to the 1095. He suggested that I get a 1066 to complement the 1080. I have always thought I needed to have the same wpc across the front channels. The 1066 can be bridged to 150 wpc. I don't know if the 150 wpc versus the 200 for the center would make any noticeable difference.

You owe it to yourself to check out the

Sunfire TGA-5200 which is anything but your average entry level amplifier. Behind

its cool, anodized front panel lie five 200W amplifiers and Sunfires

exclusive Tracking Downconverter technology. This patented power

supply design runs ice cold, yet produces enormous amounts of power.

Features and Specs

• 200W x 5 into 8 ohms
  • 400W per channel into 4 ohms
  • 800W per channel into 2 ohms (time-limited basis)
  • Sunfires patented Tracking Downconverter technology
  • Two output options for the main left and right channels:

current source for a warmer, more open tube sound or voltage source for

tightest response. Use both in bi-wire configurations for the best of

both worlds warm, spacious highs; and tight, punchy lows!

• Intrinsic frequency response 1 Hz to 80 kHz
  • Signal present auto-on switch senses input signal on any channel and automatically powers up
  • 12VDC trigger input with 1/8" mini jacks, as well as plug-in screw-terminal strip
  • Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
  • High-quality five-way binding posts
  • Five-year parts and labor warranty
  • Available in black or titanium finish
I have them available for an extremely attractive price. Email me for details!

Wow, you are really pushing that Sunfire amp lately. You must really get a nice commission on that thing. [:D]

Gary, congrats on the all-Legend HT. The Rotel tech just probably noted the downside of a multichannel amp in the same package - one power supply and transformer to feed everything. Same argument applies to most receivers. As opposed to the 1080 - and well you know what the guts look like in there.

For a similar price to the Sunfire, you might also want to consider Sherbourn's 5/5210A, with 5 X 200 and essentially five separate monoblocs inside.

I guessing the aethestics and the desire to do this all in one amp is the reason for the multi-channel amp?

Carl.

P.S. For what its worth, I would just add two used QSC PLXs to your mix and be done with it. I personally run three different amps for my 5.1 and prefer it that way.

I was going to go with the 1095 until I spoke with a tech at Rotel and he said that the 1080 was far superior to the 1095. He suggested that I get a 1066 to complement the 1080. I have always thought I needed to have the same wpc across the front channels. The 1066 can be bridged to 150 wpc. I don't know if the 150 wpc versus the 200 for the center would make any noticeable difference.

With all due respect your "tech"may have some loose screws.If he claims the 1080 is superior fine,but NOT far,just maybe a little,I've had both.I'll bet $100 your tech can't tell em' apart(blind) on Klipsch.That said there's all kinds of good amps and any reputable manuf. at 200 watts will sound fine.

just asking ,

why a five channel amp? it seams that in doing so you would limit yourself from expanding to a 7.1 or larger system. (remember never say never).

if its a limited space thing then i can under stand not going with a big pile of amps, but i might still suggest a 7 channel for future upgrades.

as far as a brand goes im partial to NAD stuff (see my system profile)

they are priced right and will rock your socks off!!

im barefooted as i type this[;)]

jay

• Like 1

Carl,

I'm just trying to consolidate without sacrificing quality. I'm currently running 3 amps too in my 5.1 setup. The 1080 and two Adcom amps.

I'm leaning to adding a 3 channel 200 wpc amp. What are your thoughts on the Rotel 1066 with 150 wpc? Would I notice a difference by having 50 wpc less running the center channel?

I'll check out the Sherbourn. I've never heard a Sherbourn or Sunfire amp. The Sunfire seems to get rave reviews with Klipsch. I would really like to hear from someone that has used it with the Legend series.

Gary

I'm not Carl but.....I'd forget the 1066,while a nice little amp this unit was designed mostly as a home audio distribution amp.I'm stll trying to figure out why anyone at Rotel would suggest a 26 lb amp for a full blown HT.

just asking ,

why a five channel amp? it seams that in doing so you would limit yourself from expanding to a 7.1 or larger system. (remember never say never).

if its a limited space thing then i can under stand not going with a big pile of amps, but i might still suggest a 7 channel for future upgrades.

as far as a brand goes im partial to NAD stuff (see my system profile)

they are priced right and will rock your socks off!!

im barefooted as i type this[;)]

jay

Easier to upgrade to 7.1 down the road, 2 channel amps are easy to come by. I have an Anthem MCA50 for center surrounds and rears, then I have a McIntosh for the fronts, easy to match levels and makes for an a$$ kicking 2 channel system for music. The Anthem is fine gear, but nothing beats a Mac...

"I'm not Carl but.....I'd forget the 1066,while a nice little amp this unit was designed mostly as a home audio distribution amp.I'm stll trying to figure out why anyone at Rotel would suggest a 26 lb amp for a full blown HT."

What Fish said. A very wise man who originally put me down the proper path to audio nirvana. I still owe him lots for helping me see the light from the beginning.

I would opt for something more hearty than the 1066.

Carl.

I just completed my HT with all KLF 30's and a KLF C-7 as the center channel. I'm looking for recommendations on a 5 channel 200wpc amp. I'm currently using a Rotel RMB 1080 for the front speakers and Adcom for the rest.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Lots of good suggestions presented.

I am presonally using a B&K reference 200.7 amp with my Klipsch Reference 7 setup, and I absolutly love it! They do also have a 5 channel version (Reference 200.5). I am willing to bet this thing will be awesome with the Legend series as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the other aforementioned units as well. I guess, in the end, it ultimately comes down to what kind of deals you can find and what fits in your budget.

I went to the Sherbourn website and they are recommending what seems like a huge area for proper ventilation. Does this unit get that hot? I would have to place it in a cabinet that has adequate ventilation for the Rotel & Adcom gear that I'm currently using.

By the way, how old is the unit?