Juicy Music Tercel Build

anarchist

Mark was asking me what I thought about the sound of the Tercel. I thought I would post here an excerpt of the email I sent him.

Moved the Tercel and Thorens to the 2 channel system. Here is the deal. The highs are high and crisp. Cymbals, organs, and acoustic guitars are simply awesome. The separation and clarity of instruments is mind-blowing. You step out of the room and just listen and you would swear there was a band and a drum kit in the room. It is live man and it is like sitting in a small club listening to a band 10 feet away. I have been listening to so many different albums and artists it is ridiculous. You have now forced me to buy more albums. Thanks.

Mark, I want my Merlin II - WITH a remote. I am not a patient guy. Get busy. Don't forget the integrated either. [;)]

Mike---No kidding? That's really great to hear. We only play digital here as background music on Ipods and Macs and so on. Rarely on the main system. md

Honest to God, not one CD. Of course, I think the Thorens might have had something to do with that as well, but the fact remains it sounds so good I have no desire to play a CD.

Mike

What is the chassis made out of? I notice it is not painted on the inside?

How about that "Assembled by {name} on {date}" sticker like on Al's crossover kits. Anybody willing to put in 6 to 12 hours of assembly time ought to be able to attach their name on the inside of their handiwork!

Star ground. Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Some of you probably know I had been looking at building a DIY kit for quite a while (have to have something to do with this soldering station) and have wanted a phono amp big time.

I was thrilled when Mark announced his kits and I have probably driven him nuts chatting about the differing kits he will be offering. I have probably investigated as many kits as Dean as tried out amps. I think Mark offers tremendous value and 'extras' others simply don't. I can tell you all I will be picking up various kits from him as soon as they are available.

This thread and the pics was an opportunity to give back to the community I have enjoyed for so long and hopefully lead someone else into the dementia I have suffered with respect to our audio hobby.

PS. Now if Craig would offer kit versions of the VRD's.... the real difficulty would be finding someone to translate the manual from Craigspeak. [;)]

What is the chassis made out of? I notice it is not painted on the inside? ============== 16ga. galvanized steel, with hammertone powder coat paint. The insides are not painted because we need to have good grounds inside. Sticker sounds like an excellent idea! md

Galvanized, that's good, no need for painting, I was wondering about future corrosion.

Yes, the sticker's that come with AL's kits area very simple. They just look like Avery labels printed right off of his computer but I still enjoy the final "signing off" of my hard work and applying the label.

Per Mark:

"The insides are not painted because we need to have good grounds inside."

The word is in its plural form -- more than one. Unless the entire chassis is bare metal such as aluminum, which this is not, a common approach is to paint all areas including the inside, leaving ground locations masked off so they can't accept paint.

Some preamps/amps use a ground plane vs SPG, the factory Audio Electronics supply AE-1 being one of those.

I asked since the deisgner used the term 'ground(s)' rather than 'ground.'

I understand that. I think you were actually right the first time, though. Bare-metal chassis grounds are also needed for the volume/level controls, as well as the AC safety ground connection.

I was in a hurry when reading over all of this, and was just curious by what was meant by 'grounds' rather than 'ground.'

Thanks for the explanation. I would love to build one of your kits sometime, Mark.

Erik